Boots Made in South Africa...resoleable and quality? Any firsthand experiences with Jim Green or Rogue or Waxie or other brands?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Monk

Forager
Jun 20, 2004
outandabout
Hello all,

Thanks to Christmas holiday time off from work I stumbled across videos on the internet about leather footwear made in South Africa.

Some of the brands like Jim Green boots and the Rogue boots look impressive. Made in South Africa, resoleable, etc. And reasonably priced if I figure the exchange rate correctly.

Most of the leather hiking/work boot models look fairly sturdy/quality and built to last and non-goretex lined...just plain leather.

Has anyone here any firsthand user experience with these types of boots and can share their experiences with this footwear from South Africa? Weird sizing? Comfy? Good quality sewing and leather? Worth tracking down?
Thanks!

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
I have had a few pairs of Rogue boots over the years, I still have my "original" pair having resoled them with a BF Goodrich tyre. the later ones just seemed to be a bit different. Toe boxes not quite right, I preferred the older R Sole tread pattern to the newer version. they are a wide fitting. I switched to Jim Green's starting with a pair of the Highlander probably a bit wider than the rogues, they feel quite stiff but when wearing they seem very supple. I was also able to pick up a pair of the African Ranger Barefoot in the first production run, they are epic. Again they are wide and roomy, the sole unit that Rose Anvil developed for the boot is light grippy and ultra flexible. It may be a bit soft and wear quickly if you are doing lots of pavement Km's. Jim Green have a YouTube video explaining their different lasts, It may be worth having a look at that. IMG_4973.jpeg
If there is anything I can help with just ask.

Louis

Reactions: Robbi

H2497

Tenderfoot
Jun 20, 2008
London / Herefordshire
I've had both the Rogue and Courteney Boots. I've used both in Africa, Australia and worn them here in the Summer. I love the super wide toe box which allows my toes to spread a little. You have to get used to not having any or very little heel lift when coming from a conventional walking boot. You can buy little leather gaiters that protect your socks from picking up thorns and burrs, which I'd recommend.

They take some getting used to as the sole of your foot is not being supported in the same way as a modern walking boot, but if your feet are healthy and strong then you will be fine.

The Jim Green boots look good and like the Rogue ones, seem good value.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I bought a set of Rogue Ranger boots and have commented on them here before.

• Rogue Ranger boots. Lovely leather lined, really wanted to love them, very well made, but they are heavy, have no supporting shank to speak of, which means they are exhausting to walk in unless all your other shoes are flip-flops, and the leather succeeded in being both a totally non-breathable yet soaked through the slightest rain or dew, made worse by all attempts to apply a water resistant treatment.
  • I normally wear a UK size 8.5 or a 9.5US. Keen shows this as being EU42.5. I have some Rogue Rangers in 8.5UK which fit. I have slightly wider feet and have two pairs of Meindl boots, both are 9.5UK! One whole size bigger than I normally take. The Meindls are not both identical, one pair need thicker socks than the other even though they are marked as the same size, but the lighter pair fits me about the same as the 8.5UK shoes by other makers.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE