What to wear in an open canoe in Canada

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
As some of you may know i've recently signed up to a canoeing adventure down the Teslin and Yukon rivers in June of this year thanks to the generous offer by Fabian of Yukon bushcraft. I have a kit list, but would appreciate recommendations on clothing and footwear to wear while in the canoe.

Based on what i can find, temperatures are likely to be between 17-22 degrees, but the changeable weather means one needs to be prepared for anything. When hiking and camping in Ireland i usually prefer natural materials. I get a lot of wear from my bison wool shirt, Filson wool vest and double front Carhart trousers. I tend to choose merino base layers too. These will likely be perfect for evening wear once out of the canoe, but can anyone recommend trousers and shirt brands and types for in the canoe on the water during the day? I've been recommended craghoppers, but there are so many different types and i'm not used to buying synthetics, so would be grateful for some guidance.

I'm also curious about footwear choice. It seems no one can agree on this and have read everything from wearing wellies and Muk boots, to trainers or hiking shoes.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations. This thread might also interest others going on the trip.

scottishpinz

Dec 30, 2010
Scotland
I know the dilemma! Water-sports like canoeing and kayaking are usually considered a wet activity where one dresses to get wet. In summer that can mean sandals, shorts and a T-shirt, or in colder conditions either a wet or dry suit. BUT open canoeing can often be a dry activity and involve portages so hiking. Here it may be more comfortable to have boots and traditional hiking clothes. BUT of course there is always the risk of falling in or capsize so again we are back to wet clothing or at very least spares in a dry-bag of everything you need to wear.

The final complication is the getting in and out which can demand taller boots, wellies or again the resignation that your feet will get wet hence the old trainers or sandals.

Your kit list is probably the best guide as the trip leaders will know the likelihood of getting wet and the type of entry and exit points. Enjoy the experience!!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Personally I would go for a drysuit over hiking kit with quick draining "watershoes" for in the boat and hiking boots handy for the portages.
I qualified as a Level 4 coach in Open Canoes, canoed in Europe and South Africa but never made it to Canada - I envy you the trip!
Old age and Arthritis now means that my paddling days are over but if you are a stout 5'6" ish tall I am presently selling my canoe kit ... including a dry suit!:)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I'd stay away from wellies. Yeah they're great for wading in shallow water, but they're big buckets of water if you capsize. Like John said, a good draining boot that laces is probably better. Trainers should be Ok even at that temp if you wear good socks. Realistically the socks are going to be the more important factor in warm feet anyway.

Best advise is to contact the folks you'll be canoeing with and ask their input.

Last edited:

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Thanks guys. There are a few suggestions on our kit list including trainers, neoprene paddling shoes, crocs or goretex mukluks. So lots of choice there.

Can you suggest suitable socks if I went with trainers? A few people have recommended those neoprene muk boots, but they might suffer the same problems as wellies. My brother has a pair though, do it would be no extra expense.

Unfortunately i'm 6'1" and a bit too thin at the moment if i'm honest. However, if you have anything that would fit I might be interested :) drysuits sound like they will be expensive.

Bushcraft Yukon

Tenderfoot
Nov 8, 2015
Canada
No drysuit needed on this trip!!! Bring one if you want, but I bet you will be much happier with normal fast drying outdoor clothing and an extra set of garments, in case you tip your boat or get soaked by rain.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Thanks Fabian. I didn't want to be pestering you with every little detail this early on. I'm definitely bringing a spare set.

Bushcraft Yukon

Tenderfoot
Nov 8, 2015
Canada
I think it is great to discuss those questions in public as a) others bring great new ideas to the table and b) it may help others to plan similar trips.

I just wanted to prevent you from spending big bucks on something you would not need on this trip (=dry suit).

Keep at it...;-)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
If not going for a drysuit I'd be wearing a Buffalo pretext & pile shirt for colder days as if you take a doukin' or even just get splashed you'll dry quickly, stay cosy and be comfy.
In warmer weather I'd tend towards a pair of quick drying pants, sandles/aqua-shoes and a merino long sleeved top as it'll dry quick, protect you from sun/bugs and importantly not stink over the duration of the trip. All topped of with a zip fronted float vest with pockets.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I think it is great to discuss those questions in public as a) others bring great new ideas to the table and b) it may help others to plan similar trips.

I just wanted to prevent you from spending big bucks on something you would not need on this trip (=dry suit).

Keep at it...;-)

I was thinking it would be helpful to those going on our trip alright :)

If not going for a drysuit I'd be wearing a Buffalo pretext & pile shirt for colder days as if you take a doukin' or even just get splashed you'll dry quickly, stay cosy and be comfy.
In warmer weather I'd tend towards a pair of quick drying pants, sandles/aqua-shoes and a merino long sleeved top as it'll dry quick, protect you from sun/bugs and importantly not stink over the duration of the trip. All topped of with a zip fronted float vest with pockets.

I'm planning on the second option, but have to invest in quick drying trousers since my Carhartts will take a bit too long to dry out :O

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have to agree about the Buffalo kit!
Before I invested in a Drysuit (the amount of time I spent canoeing winter white water justified the purchase) I wore Buffalo almost exclusively. I reviewed a full set of Buffalo by deliberately being tethered in flowing water in the middle of winter - to the point of losing the feeling in my feet and being , basically, borderline hypothermic. A Mars bar, a coffee and vigourous activity and 20 mins later I was toasty warm and comfortable again. Buffalo still use some of my photos in their adverts...
The kit ventilates well (not so well under a BA) so you can regulate your temperature reasonably well.
I also really like wool, especially merino, for changeable conditions/splashes - it is comfortable even if quite damp to the touch.... and is stench resistant!

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
It sounds like you were a dedicated reviewer, John. Any links you'd like to share.

I'm planning on bringing my merino long john and long sleeved t shirts.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I have to agree about the Buffalo kit!
Before I invested in a Drysuit (the amount of time I spent canoeing winter white water justified the purchase) I wore Buffalo almost exclusively. I reviewed a full set of Buffalo by deliberately being tethered in flowing water in the middle of winter - to the point of losing the feeling in my feet and being , basically, borderline hypothermic. A Mars bar, a coffee and vigourous activity and 20 mins later I was toasty warm and comfortable again. Buffalo still use some of my photos in their adverts...
The kit ventilates well (not so well under a BA) so you can regulate your temperature reasonably well.
I also really like wool, especially merino, for changeable conditions/splashes - it is comfortable even if quite damp to the touch.... and is stench resistant!

Mr. Fenna, were you the genesis of my love of Buffalo? Not long after it came out there was a review of Buffalo against proto GTX where on chap wore Buffalo Against& the other wore GTX. Submerged to the neck in a loch in winter then allowed out to change or dry off 'till cosy again. I remember you from the S.W.A.T. days but didn't think that was you? My hero if it was, though you always will be even if it wasn't Sir.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
For quick-drying trousers you won't beat the new issue warm weather mtp british surplus trews; I got two pairs of these a while back for £40, BNIB, and I've been wearing them since. Very well cut, they dry about as quickly as they get wet and have very well thought out and sized pockets, they're also pre-impregnated agin ticks and other hitch hikers, good for 50 washes. If it's on the chilly side I wear merino long skiddys under them.

I've been highly impressed with the quality and build of these and wear them in preference to my 511's, which I really like.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I wear neoprene shorts, down to my knees, neoprene socks, quite high, with kevlar tread, crocs, and sometimes a neoprene T shirt, [not often] neoprene gloves. [not often]
all underneath good bushcraft clothes. Been in the drink a few times and this has kept me warm.
BA on top. Small dry bag, with instant fire starters, and whistle near my mouth. Carabiner.
Dry suits probably best idea though.

Last edited:

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I'd suggest buffalo gear.

I've not spent much time canoeing in cold climes, but I have done my fair share of messing around on boats - you inevitably get wet. I think a dry suit would be very sweaty and inclined to rub.

Pile and pertex gear copes with splashes and occasional saturations. It vents well and is 'soft' to wear; doesn't impede freedom of movement.

Merino wool underwear - not cotton - and take some anti-fungal cream, apply daily to your crack and sack. Your **** will remain damp and a little skin fungus can make you awfully sore. I learned this from long-distance cycling when rain could not be avoided.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I'd suggest buffalo gear.

I've not spent much time canoeing in cold climes, but I have done my fair share of messing around on boats - you inevitably get wet. I think a dry suit would be very sweaty and inclined to rub.

Pile and pertex gear copes with splashes and occasional saturations. It vents well and is 'soft' to wear; doesn't impede freedom of movement.

Merino wool underwear - not cotton - and take some anti-fungal cream, apply daily to your crack and sack. Your **** will remain damp and a little skin fungus can make you awfully sore. I learned this from long-distance cycling when rain could not be avoided.

I have worn non breathable drysuits over wool or fleece for years ... never had an issue with any discomfort from damp clothing and used to drive home in the gear I had worn all day in the drysuit...not a big issue in my experience:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE