Doc Martins - Not what they used to be

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Our kids have enjoyed Doc martins for years, just like I did when I was younger and many other people I know. They were the bomb proof footwear that set a standard. Christmas last year we got a pair for child #4 and about 10 months in, where they crease there's a hole. In my mind you let Doc Martin's know and they sort it, not any more. They binned their lifetime warranty in 2018 and changed it to only defects during manufacturing. No wear and tear is covered, no matter how soon that is after purchase.

I'm a little pauperised at this, well, a lot surprised to be honest.

So, I have a couple of questions, anyone else experienced this with Doc's?

Any suggestions on alternatives to Doc's, footwear that's fairly smart and hard wearing, I might move the kids off of Docs and onto something else if there's a better option.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I noticed an obviously lower quality of them since minimum 15 years just by looking around in town. Due to that they aren't in fashion here anymore.

Meindl Sasel is a robust alternative for the low ones. Steinkogler offers similar shoes too as well as other Hiking- Shoemakers from Germany, Trabert, Geiger and other rather small ones, often in the Haferl Shoe style though.

Reactions: leanrascal

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
THE premier leather working boot maker in the USA is Whites. They just announced a pre order period for a hiking boot collaboration.
$700 plus shipping and tax.
The other end is junk that falls apart in a year and cannot be rebuilt.
I am placing an order with William Lennon.
I like supporting established crofter
level folks that actually talk to you.

Reactions: stevec

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Unfortunately DMs are definitely not what they once were. There are now two different standards of DMs in the Uk. The standard stuff seems to be almost a patent leather which is super sweaty and tears easily. Also really hard to polish as it’s so thin and flexible.
The other “custom grade” DMs are more like the old school ones but crazy expensive and, I think, made to order. I bought a couple of pairs at a clearance shop for £80 each. Very nice leather and really obviously made with care by people who know what they’re doing. The guy in the shop reckoned they were around £400 a pair to order. I won’t be in that market for a while I don’t think.
My next favourite pairs are Alt Bergs but again not cheap.
S

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
The exchange rate got scary for you folks @ .87 to 1 USD
I was buying lottery tickets and lusting for a Phantom MK II but no
Such luck.
Lennon’s appeal not only for simple quality, but aesthetically. I meet people on trail emoting their inner
Rambo/ Terminator and my hiking staff grip stiffens.

EdS

Our kids have enjoyed Doc martins for years, just like I did when I was younger and many other people I know. They were the bomb proof footwear that set a standard. Christmas last year we got a pair for child #4 and about 10 months in, where they crease there's a hole. In my mind you let Doc Martin's know and they sort it, not any more. They binned their lifetime warranty in 2018 and changed it to only defects during manufacturing. No wear and tear is covered, no matter how soon that is after purchase.

I'm a little pauperised at this, well, a lot surprised to be honest.

So, I have a couple of questions, anyone else experienced this with Doc's?

Any suggestions on alternatives to Doc's, footwear that's fairly smart and hard wearing, I might move the kids off of Docs and onto something else if there's a better option.
That's because they are now made in the far East with far Eastern leather.

Solovair is the company that made the orginal Northampton produced DM boots for Doctor Martins. They are now making them under their own name out of UK /European leather on the orginal DM lasts.

Reactions: Erbswurst and Robbi

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I had 14 hole Docs back when I was about 17, they lasted well enough but the soles were always pretty useless.
Very little grip.

Can't say I'm blown away by the soles on the Altberg Defenders I have either, the compound is too hard and the levels of grip is pretty useless.
The uppers are ok though.

My Meindls on the other hand are far and away better.

Sep 11, 2014
Maidstone, KENT
Some of the best shoes in the world still "Made in Northhampton"

I've no affiliations, but had some great shoes & boots from Herring Shoes, recommended, but avoid anything called 'polished' leather (bookbinder stuff).

Also a couple of results from the Trickers Outlet Store :

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I find it pretty weird that the original maker stll makes the original shoes but the brand imports the stuff from Asia.
That's really the top of such stories.

Where do they teach such a nonsense?
One high end brand after the other gets worthless.

o_O

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I have a pair of Hawkins indestructible shoes from Northampton, had a pair of their boots too but they ultimately did get destroyed

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
So, they've said that it's wear and tear and won't help at all, which seems nuts and it's definitely the last DM's we'll be buying. Feel like a sad time, which I suppose is a reflection of the high regard I use to hold them in.

For anyone that got yours 2018 or earlier you're still covered by the lifetime warrantee.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
My 2 pence on this, is that they have cut costs so much the manufacturer doesn't have confidence in their own products, a real shame.

As for my recommendation, I have redback dealer boots which are incredible, I think the warranty not long, will have to check, but after walking 10,000s km in them, and daily use over the last 8 years, these are the most comfortable first, and bomb proof boots I have ever had.

Before then, I was getting through a pair of boots every year, and not cheap boots either.

These are mine - https://heinnie.com/redback-bobcat-...WIOL_z4qiaTPuu-lqwHDNnKFGuL0hBNhoC0YYQAvD_BwE

Sep 11, 2014
Maidstone, KENT
^
I have a pair of these, much better than a similar looking boot from another manufacturer.
Comfortable and the leather is good quality.
Never a dress boot, but mine took a bit of polish and a shine on the cap...

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
My DMs did exactly the same Tony. They were called Combs I think, kind of green canvas upper that looked great but the sole split right on the crease. Total waste of money.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE