What do you not eat that therefore makes you "weird"?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Any veg cooked to a mush is a "no-go" for me. Brassica should be raw but hot, carrots ditto, spuds firm (unless mashed - and mash should contain egg, cream, cheese, black pepper and nutmeg) or if roasted crisp on the outside and floury (not mush) on the inside. Vg in soups and stews are a bit of an exception to the general rule...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Marrowfat peas were/are the best kind to dry and store long term......as in years and years of long term storage. (I soaked some and tried growing them, and they cropped beautifully :) and I know that box was five years old)

Re-hydrated peas will never be 'peas' properly again, but you can dry off little garden peas and they'll quickly re-soak in hot water....freeze drying is mostly used for them though, which is why you can get pieces of them in cuppa-soups. An expensive way to add peas though when marrowfats can be done by the kg.
Best thought of as two different things I think.

I think mushy peas are fine, if you season them well, but the peas are an excellent additon to veggie burgers, dals, dips, soups and stews. Nutritious food, sort of comfort food.

If you roast them, still dried, in a dry frying pan, keep them moving, and then grind them up into flour, it makes a tasty home grown peasbrose, but also a good base to be spiced up for falafel.

I like peas, I know not everybody does, but I do like peas, thankfully so does the rest of the family :)

Last edited:
Reactions: wookii

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
So you grate them finely so that there is a higher percentage of tasty air in between the sprouts - gotcha!

This makes me think of Mussels - served with strongly tasting tomato and garlic sauce - anything that requires strong tasting sauces that masks their original taste probably wasn't such a good choice for a starter ingredient. :)
ALERT
sprouts are like all brassicas.
They MUST be cooked one of two ways.
Either gently steamed in minimal water, then tossed with salt pepper butter and lemon juice
OR ……and this may change your life…..stir fried over a hot as hell heat. All brassicas good, sprouts stunning like this. Use lard or oil, abb nothing or chilli, or pepper and ginger, or soy with or without chilli.
Seriously, I hated sprouts and stir frying them is a dish I love, do try it.

Reactions: Toddy and wookii

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Marrowfat peas were/are the best kind to dry and store long term......as in years and years of long term storage. (I soaked some and tried growing them, and they cropped beautifully :) and I know that box was five years old)

Re-hydrated peas will never be 'peas' properly again, but you can dry off little garden peas and they'll quickly re-soak in hot water....freeze drying is mostly used for them though, which is why you can get pieces of them in cuppa-soups. An expensive way to add peas though when marrowfats can be done by the kg.
Best thought of as two different things I think.

I think mushy peas are fine, if you season them well, but the peas are an excellent additon to veggie burgers, dals, dips, soups and stews. Nutritious food, sort of comfort food.

If you roast them, still dried, in a dry frying pan, keep them moving, and then grind them up into flour, it makes a tasty home grown peasbrose, but also a good base to be spiced up for falafel.

I like peas, I know not everybody does, but I do like peas, thankfully so does the rest of the family :)
Mushy peas and a pie, or with fish and chips, or ham hock, mmmmmm just add mint sauce or HP. Food of the Gods !

• Haha
Reactions: Broch

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Hmm Christmas pudding is a weird one for me. It's alright I guess... but it's not my favourite dessert... and I'd rather just eat more spuds, turkey/meat etc than have Christmas pudding ....

...that makes me totally weird in my extended family..

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Ah, turkey, can't stand the smell of it let alone eat it - I have good reason, I worked on a farm that reared thousands of turkeys for one of the big companies and we slaughtered hundreds ourselves every Christmas. Anything but turkey for Christmas at our place :)

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
@Broch
...I am not actually that fond of turkey... normally because we're a few people we'd have a joint of beef and a ham too, so they'd be my main choice... I guess I eat the turkey because it'd be frowned upon not to eat it...

@Wayland Vertigo from onions is a new one!! Very interesting!

Grebby

Life Member
Jul 16, 2008
Sutton Coldfield
Ah, turkey, can't stand the smell of it let alone eat it - I have good reason, I worked on a farm that reared thousands of turkeys for one of the big companies and we slaughtered hundreds ourselves every Christmas. Anything but turkey for Christmas at our place :)

With you on that one.
The only time my parents encouraged skipping school was the build up to christmas. Dad and I went to work at the local turkey farm. I used to make a good bit of money.
To be honest I don't think I liked turkey before that, but after...

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Of course I'm sorry to hear that! But it's something I've never heard of before and not something I ever knew of!
I had not come across anyone else that had heard of it either but I have since found a few cases online that match up. It's considered an intolerance rather than an allergy apparently but that doesn't make it any easier to live with.

Every new thing I buy at the supermarket has to be checked for onion and eating out is a nightmare.

• Sad
Reactions: Scottieoutdoors

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I don't eat chocolate, I don't really like it but if I do try a bit it tickles my throat and makes me cough like crazy! I think I have some kind of allergy to it!

All the more for me then! I love chocolate, in fact I may even be a chocoholic!
I can't go near coffee, even the smell makes me retch, and on occasion full on vomiting. It can be a nightmare going for a cup of tea in a cafe if they are brewing coffee, or someone on the next table has one and I smell it.
Even tea stirred with a spoon that has previously stirred coffee I can't drink. I'll know straight away.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE