What do you not eat that therefore makes you "weird"?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
I'm currently trying to find the reserve battery for my body and having a few moments of rest I thought I'd throw out a random question...

I don't eat:
Cheese
Spaghetti (the actual spaghetti - bolognese is divine)
Butter

There's other stuff I'm not keen on, but those are the things that make me "weird" :lol:

Reactions: wookii

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
Some people think I´m weird because I hate rhubarb, even the smell of gives me shakes. And cilantro taste like soap in my mouth.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Fish.
Coconut.

The first makes me miserably sick if I eat it and I break out in hives. Passing a fishmongers leaves me with an instant dose of hay fever.
Someplaces, events, I live on anti-histamines :sigh:

Coconut, for all that I love nuts, and eat them daily, is just something I loathe. Smells good, looks fine, I bake with it for others, it's just I hate the taste and texture.

Kind of puts the damper on folks when you say no thanks to their cake though.

• Wow
Reactions: Scottieoutdoors

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Some people think I´m weird because I hate rhubarb, even the smell of gives me shakes. And cilantro taste like soap in my mouth.

I think I read somewhere that it's a gene that does that to people!!
One of my siblings (I think just the one) is the same, I guess I didn't end up with that though!

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Brussel sprouts, bloody awful things.

I can't eat cooked or fried liver as it makes me sick. Last time I ate it was when a teacher made me eat it at primary school because she refused to believe it made me sick so she literally spoon fed it to me. She had to go home and change after I showed her it does make me sick by projectile vomiting it back over her :lmao: .

For some strange reason I don't have the same reaction when I eat pate :dunno:

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Brussel sprouts, bloody awful things.
Ditto

Trauma formed from being made to 'clear my plate' in childhood to avoid the cane- Only way I could ingest was to pick individual ones up on a fork , douse fully in vinegar and swallow whole.

• Haha
Reactions: Broch

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Not being cheeky, but instead of cooking B.sprouts, you pick them over and then just grate them up finely, they're really nice. Kind of crunchy tasty green stuff.

Cooked, they can be pretty vile though.....and I really like cabbage and kale, but cooking often makes sprouts utterly horrible.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Not being cheeky, but instead of cooking B.sprouts, you pick them over and then just grate them up finely, they're really nice. Kind of crunchy tasty green stuff.

Cooked, they can be pretty vile though.....and I really like cabbage and kale, but cooking often makes sprouts utterly horrible.

So you grate them finely so that there is a higher percentage of tasty air in between the sprouts - gotcha!

This makes me think of Mussels - served with strongly tasting tomato and garlic sauce - anything that requires strong tasting sauces that masks their original taste probably wasn't such a good choice for a starter ingredient. :)

• Haha
Reactions: dwardo and wookii

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Ditto

Trauma formed from being made to 'clear my plate' in childhood to avoid the cane- Only way I could ingest was to pick individual ones up on a fork , douse fully in vinegar and swallow whole.

I confess I was the same until I started trying to cook them myself (in my 40's). They should be 'just' cooked, and even then preferably not boiled. They should be small, no bigger than 1.5 to 2cm max.

My preferred way is quartered lengthwise, then fried with onion and smoked diced bacon.

Those big, wet, soggy, pale green things that had been boiled for an hour in the school canteen should be illegal.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Yep, tripe is definitely a no-no. I'd come home from school and my grandmother would be cooking it - smelled like the sewage drains had overflowed :(

Andouillette is a French sausage made from tripe (amongst other bits of guts) and smells so bad I can't get it as far as my mouth to taste it!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
So you grate them finely so that there is a higher percentage of tasty air in between the sprouts - gotcha!

This makes me think of Mussels - served with strongly tasting tomato and garlic sauce - anything that requires strong tasting sauces that masks their original taste probably wasn't such a good choice for a starter ingredient. :)

The cooking releases the stinky stuff, the sulphites....I think..... but grating them like this makes them palatable and just 'green' and sort of sweet somehow :)
If you add mayonnaise of some kind, it makes them a bit like coleslaw, a healthy good for you green veg coleslaw :)

Reactions: TeeDee

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE