What did you buy today?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BumblingAlong

Tenderfoot
Jun 20, 2021
Winchester
Klymit Insulated Static V Sleeping Pad
to temporarily replace the recently popped as yet unrepaired Summit to Summit Ether Light XT Insulated Mat. Got complacent with the twigs

Foogs

May 12, 2023
UK
The new MT900 Insulated sleeping mat from Decathlon/Forclaz/Simond.
3x warmer (R5.4) and twice as thick as my old one. Bought abroad too, so made a bit of a saving.
(Just tested it on the living room floor and woke myself up snoring so it's a good start)

Screenshot 2024-06-03 152052.png

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Good luck @SaraR

I remember those as nasty, knackering tools of enslavement from my forestry student days. Aching twisted back and sunburn. I speak from experience when I say - “avoid wasps’ nests”

Reactions: SaraR

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Good luck @SaraR

I remember those as nasty, knackering tools of enslavement from my forestry student days. Aching twisted back and sunburn. I speak from experience when I say - “avoid wasps’ nests”
Ouch! That sounds nasty!

We did get closer to the bees without pissing them off than with the strimmer, so in that sense it‘s working out.

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
A Rob Evans Bushtool whilst at the Shraftin Show and new much needed pair of HelikonTex Woodsman trews. Beautiful knife, very pleased and so far the trews too.

Reactions: gg012

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Air Assault Bike.

I suspect a decision that I will learn to love, hate, regret, loathe, fear and generally have a full gambit of emotions about.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Platypus gravity works 6.0L water filter.
I wanted the 4.0L but the only place I could order over the phone had run out of those. Only another £15 for the bigger one...though, heck only knows where the money is spent to justify that sort of price increase!
Anyway, it's done, and I will have clean water for the house, should I need to mine my local river for water in an emergency!
So, into the household emergency kit it goes. Final prep for total world failure:)

• Haha
Reactions: gibson 175

Billy-o

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Excellent :)

I pressed Pay Now on a Paramo Velez smock from Foothills. Just got to wait for it to show up now. I am anxious about this one, as I have been faffing about and not buying one for maybe three years. Couldn't decide between the light and the regular versions. I know what that usually means, but am determined not to falter and buy both.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Platypus gravity works 6.0L water filter.
I wanted the 4.0L but the only place I could order over the phone had run out of those. Only another £15 for the bigger one...though, heck only knows where the money is spent to justify that sort of price increase!
Anyway, it's done, and I will have clean water for the house, should I need to mine my local river for water in an emergency!
So, into the household emergency kit it goes. Final prep for total world failure:)
I’ve been looking at filtration since I decided to ditch the Brita and its once a month plastic filter change, and install an inline tap system. This of course got me down the rabbit hole and looking at having a Sawyer One Gallon gravity filter for emergency use. The Sawyer apparently being good to filter 100,000 gallons, what made you choose the Platypus over it?

Dan00001

Forager
Nov 13, 2023
Wales
I would take into consideration what they can filter down to. The Platypus filters down to 0.2 microns, the Sawyer down to 0.1 microns. Neither of these filter viruses. I'm no expert on the subject, I've only done a small amount of research.

Simon a bloke in the woods has an episode on his water filtration systems which is well worth a watch. The one that stands out in his video is the Lifesaver Liberty which filters out viruses, and according to Simon, although I haven't actually found the specs on their website yet, the Lifesaver filters down to 0.015 microns.

It has some really cool features like, it can be used like a normal water bottle, you can attach a larger, external water bottle, it has a built in manual water pump and you can attach to it a scavenger hose. The filter is good for 2,000L.

Simon does say in the video that he doesn't like to use a 0.1 micron filter around agricultural land due to chemical runoff etc. I'm still doing my research on particle sizes for farm chemicals but did find this in a study carried out in the Mediterranean.. 'Most of the pesticides (such as carbendazim, tebuconazole, chlorpyrifos-ethyl and chlorpyrifos-methyl) were accumulated in the ultrafine-fine (<1 μm) and coarse (2.5–10 μm) particle size fractions.'

Maybe the subject of particle size has already been discussed on this forum, or other forums. It's probably worth having a search around.

Reactions: Crowe and slowworm

gg012

Sep 23, 2022
SE
I wouldn't rely an filtering chemicals, something like activated carbon would be a good second stage to clean these up

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE