What did you buy today?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Some Nalgene bottles.

They're a great product except that I find sipping from them often ends up with the contents sloshing down the sides of my chin. Just a bit too wide for me and I have an irrational dislike of buying an extra piece to make something new useable such as the sip attachment. They really should sell it as part of the bottle IMHO.

Everything else is perfect. Various capacities, confidently leakproof, good cap, very durable, clear enough to see contents/keep clean and a clear graduation to judge amount left. Better than sigg bottles, although they're great for telling the story of your outdoor escapades through dents and loss of paint from the outside. Nothing does that better than a single bottle I reckon.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Teak oil and a scythe sharpening stone.
Have now done the garden furniture and raised bed sides with the oil, as its supposed to rain soon, so I wanted that done while the sun was shining, and sharpened my new, slasher.
Will tackle the bramble and nettle patch another day, as I'm now tired and aching. :(

Coach

Banned
Oct 3, 2017
Uk
Just trying to badger Rob Evans into making me a Mors Kochanski Tribute Knife. Got his Bushtool a few weeks ago, Amazing Bushcraft Knife.!! Bought a Leatherman 300 yesterday, does that qualify for the thread??

Coach

Banned
Oct 3, 2017
Uk
Teak oil and a scythe sharpening stone.
Have now done the garden furniture and raised bed sides with the oil, as its supposed to rain soon, so I wanted that done while the sun was shining, and sharpened my new, slasher.
Will tackle the bramble and nettle patch another day, as I'm now tired and aching. :(
Have you tried one of the proprietary brush herbicides?? They kill the whole plant, roots included,, whereas chopping them down just encourages them to come back even more prolifically. Yes you have to buy it in the first place, but the cost is worth it to save a heart attack from overdoing it.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Have you tried one of the proprietary brush herbicides?? They kill the whole plant, roots included,, whereas chopping them down just encourages them to come back even more prolifically. Yes you have to buy it in the first place, but the cost is worth it to save a heart attack from overdoing it.

Trouble is, it's all growing through a rose Bush, so I need to do much more than just spray and kill everything. I'm getting a chap in next week to dig out all the bramble and nettle roots. There is bamboo from next door mixed in too, so it's a full scale job. First job is to get as much of the bramble and nettle down to a manageable level, then, prune the rose down drastically, finaly get in and dig the roots of the crap bits out.
A new area is to be made, to get some more food production in.

mikehill

Settler
Nov 25, 2014
Warrington
image.jpg

Coach

Banned
Oct 3, 2017
Uk
Trouble is, it's all growing through a rose Bush, so I need to do much more than just spray and kill everything. I'm getting a chap in next week to dig out all the bramble and nettle roots. There is bamboo from next door mixed in too, so it's a full scale job. First job is to get as much of the bramble and nettle down to a manageable level, then, prune the rose down drastically, finaly get in and dig the roots of the crap bits out.
A new area is to be made, to get some more food production in.
If you are looking for a new area, spray the lot rose and all, then when you have it all cleared buy another rose and plant it where you want it. Much less work and cheaper than getting people in to dig out roots etc.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
If you are looking for a new area, spray the lot rose and all, then when you have it all cleared buy another rose and plant it where you want it. Much less work and cheaper than getting people in to dig out roots etc.

I garden organically. I don't like eating chemicals!
It means more work , but better food, even if I have to slug hunt at night!
Have you seen the price of rose bushes lately?
I don't want to lose the one I have, as it was planted by my late son as a mother's day present. So it's rather precious.

Coach

Banned
Oct 3, 2017
Uk
I garden organically. I don't like eating chemicals!
It means more work , but better food, even if I have to slug hunt at night!
Have you seen the price of rose bushes lately?
I don't want to lose the one I have, as it was planted by my late son as a mother's day present. So it's rather precious.
Thats a very good reason to keep it then. You could use a spot weedkiller to selectively remove the weeds, and if you use the right weedkiller it's deactivated on contact with the soil so no need to 'eat chemicals'. However if you want to remain 'organic' hand clearing is your only option, that and a lot of hard work. Good luck!

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Thats a very good reason to keep it then. You could use a spot weedkiller to selectively remove the weeds, and if you use the right weedkiller it's deactivated on contact with the soil so no need to 'eat chemicals'. However if you want to remain 'organic' hand clearing is your only option, that and a lot of hard work. Good luck!

Yes, it's totally in the wrong place nowadays, but roses are not easy to transplant so it's staying!
I have almost free labour next week from a lovely young lad, who likes to help out with gardening jobs , I usualy pay him with a bag of fresh veg, and home made jam, bread or a cake.
I teach him gardening, he provides the grunt on jobs I struggle with.
Suits us both, and his mum knows he's not up to stupid stuff.

Reactions: Coach

Coach

Banned
Oct 3, 2017
Uk
Yes, it's totally in the wrong place nowadays, but roses are not easy to transplant so it's staying!
I have almost free labour next week from a lovely young lad, who likes to help out with gardening jobs , I usualy pay him with a bag of fresh veg, and home made jam, bread or a cake.
I teach him gardening, he provides the grunt on jobs I struggle with.
Suits us both, and his mum knows he's not up to stupid stuff.
Have you considered grafting your rose onto a new rootstock? Most garden centres can supply suitable rootstocks and grafting a rose is easier than many think. Same plant but new if you see what I mean. Good project to take on if youve not done it before.
Sorry to derail the thread.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE