Selling gear is a real loss ....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Good that you got over the Business partner. No bum is worth a lifetime in the clink.

Customer actually, but you've got it right. Anyway - I ain't the killin' kind... may wound you. ;)

We are all descended from a long line of ancestors that hoarded stuff because it might be useful later. At least in the wintery parts of the world we are. I wonder if people who evolved where the living is easier all year have the hoarding pathology to the same extent as those of us who had winter to contend with?

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Customer actually, but you've got it right. Anyway - I ain't the killin' kind... may wound you. ;)

We are all descended from a long line of ancestors that hoarded stuff because it might be useful later. At least in the wintery parts of the world we are. I wonder if people who evolved where the living is easier all year have the hoarding pathology to the same extent as those of us who had winter to contend with?

Now that really is a very good point, and one I'd never before considered; I can feel a dose of interesting pondering coming on! :)

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire

That's a good point David when you look at how they used every part of every resource.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yes, like me with food.

If I get a chance at a food bonanza, I must have it, even if my freezer and stomach bursts at the seams...

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
That is a good point indeed. Saving things that may be useful or be the donor for useful parts is a logical, sensible behaviour. Throwing away things rather than fixing, re-using, recycling is a sign of modern, wasteful, space cramped urban living.

John Seymour said the sign of a good small holding was "nothing in, nothing out". By products are not waste. Even the ash from our fire should provide Lye for soap.

leon-1

I would say that it's in man's nature to hoard, wealth is normally measured in material possession, greed drives humanity. That has little to do with ones geographical location. It's people's perception of things which make a major difference, a knackered washing machine to some people is junk, however to someone that deals with scrap there is financial gain.

One man's junk is another man's treasure.

As the latest fad comes in things which have been "Upcycled" become trendy and become worth more. The reality is that it's always had worth as long as you've had the vision to see it, however your situation and taste will also colour that which we covet.

BR is correct in as much as modern society is very wasteful, the worst thing is with the attitude that goes with it we also lose skills. The attitude of why bother fixing it when I can buy something new to replace it for less becomes relevant here and once again that comes down to material wealth, possession and ultimately greed.

Not a lecture, just an observation.

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks
Well like many on here I've got more rucksacks, knives, stoves than is strictly necessary!!! Every time I buy a new bit of shiny kit my wife says 'don't you already have one of those already' to which I respond 'yes but this one does something a bit different'. As I see it, the problem isn't that I have too much stuff just that we need a bigger house to store it all. After all you never know hat you might need .... :lmao:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
In my early days of Ham Radio (VE7APC), I built a lot of low-level electrical projects such as power supplies, QRP rigs and so on. Found myself on the edge of what seemed like a river of junk to pick and choose whatever I wanted. Later on, I would haunt "Crown Asset Disposal Sales" (aka Government junk sales). I bid by weight: good junk that might have some useful bits was worth $0.22/kg. Fabulous junk was maybe $0.30, tops. One time I scored an 80kg piece of med lab equipment for $24.00. Pulled a $350.00 vacuum pump & fittings out of it.
But be careful whaty you bid on: I wanted chem lab testubes for mixing acrylic paints for airbrushing. There were 3 lots and I bid on them all. Got them all! 1,500 test tubes for $15.00. Went to the Aboriginal Natives cultural center. Bunch of elder women doing bead work. Gave them 300 testubes to keep their bead colors in. Even made simple testube racks.

I still don't use what all I've got. Indoors in the winter, time to do another serious stock-taking.

But I can totally appreciate all sorts of kit for out-and-about. Conditions change, of course the seasons do.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yes, I have loads of clothes for cold weather that I will never see in Cornwall; Will be grateful if I go to Scotland in the winter though. (As I have in the past.)

Caerleon

Feb 9, 2015
West Mid's
Naughty I know but bought a small tent a couple of days ago and paid for timed delivery when I was sure I would be the only one in the house ;-) - its an early christmas present to myself! intend to make full use of it this weekend in the Berwyns!

I'm a firm believer that any inheritable human behavior (almost all in other words) can be explained as an evolutionary adaptation.

On the other hand I also believe that every ridiculous or dangerous male behavior is committed in the hope (conscious or subconscious) that it will earn favor from the ladies.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
On the other hand I also believe that every ridiculous or dangerous male behavior is committed in the hope (conscious or subconscious) that it will earn favor from the ladies.

If you really believe that, you need to reread this thread... if you reckon me sticking an actual wall in the middle of my lounge to house my DVD collection gained me any favour with my other half, you're either eternally optimistic or unaware of the 'lady rules the lounge' rule! :p

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I didn't say that it always works - only that we hope it will.

Nope... I knew it wouldn't be popular, but I got away with it. You're doing men a disfavour saying we only do things to gain favour with the female of the species... we're not in the 1950s any more.

The 'lady rules the lounge' rule is an ironic jokey statement of the days when men ruled the sitting room... until the majority realised that compromise is a tad fairer. I get my wall of DVDs, my wife gets final word on the replacing of furniture (whether I'm a fan of chunky wooden coffee tables or not). I get to sit in the lounge making stuff out of leather, but my wife gets to use the kitchen to glaze her clay. I get to watch the first 3 bourne films back to back one evening, but my wife gets an evening of back to back Columbo (which I secretly love... so no hardship :D )

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE