Anvils: A beginner buyers guide

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Hello, I’m new here. In fact I’ve never been on a forum before so I’m feeling a bit shy ☺️. But my elderly Dad is clearing out his workshop. All v sad. He has an anvil and I just wanted a bit of advice. What is it? I know the nose is missing which is doubtless a real prob. Someone is saying they’ll “take it off my hands” as a favour. I see that some old anvils have some value but I don’t know if this one does. Any advice gratefully received….
Welcome to the forum MrsWatty :)

You're being very sensible in getting some advice about your dad's anvil. I usually find that when someone offers to do you a favour and "take it off your hands" they know the true value of it and are hoping you don't. Anvils, depending on their size and condition, can go for anything upwards of £100 for a beat up one to £500+ for a very large one in good condition. A sought after maker can help command a better price.

Your best bet for getting advice would be to post some pictures on your anvil so folks can advise you better on what type it is and a potential price

Reactions: Toddy and Chris
Dec 8, 2023
Gloucestershire
Welcome to the forum MrsWatty :)

You're being very sensible in getting some advice about your dad's anvil. I usually find that when someone offers to do you a favour and "take it off your hands" they know the true value of it and are hoping you don't. Anvils, depending on their size and condition, can go for anything upwards of £100 for a beat up one to £500+ for a very large one in good condition. A sought after maker can help command a better price.

Your best bet for getting advice would be to post some pictures on your anvil so folks can advise you better on what type it is and a potential price
Thanks for the reply...Trying to attach photos now!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE