Inari, Finland 2013. Solo recce trip report. Bob goes to Lapland.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
That's me finished for now, I may tidy the report up/correct typos etc when I can face reading it again. Thanks for trawling through it.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Bob

Thanks for such a comprehensive report. I thoroughly enjoyed the insight to what looks to have been a superb trip. Ill bet the view from that crapper will take some beating!

Chapeau!!

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Wow thanks for sharing that thoroughly enjoyed reading that! I recognised the church i think they used it to film 'the Kautekino Rebellion' great film. Loved those lavvuus too great stuff. And the stuff sack/improvised pulk was a great tip

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Regarding your icy shoes. With that type of shoe, in that temerature, you change to a dry pair of thick wool socks and your shoes on. That keeps the shoes warm, and will even drie them out a little.
Thats a good trick for others if you do not have these type of boots. Change to a dry pair of thick wool socks, then wear your "wet" pair of socks ( assume these are wool too) outide the dry pair. The wet pair will then be dry in the morning.

Are you saying wet over dry in your bag over night?

Best.

C.

Bumbler

Nomad
Feb 22, 2013
Norway
www.bushcraft.no
Are you saying wet over dry in your bag over night?

Best.

C.

Yes that's what I am saying. But only things made from wool, like those felted inner shoes and wool socks. We used that trick in the army , and Lars Monsen did the same with his felted inner shoes when he crossed Canada from coast to coast on a dog sled. I can guarantee that you will wake up with dry socks to put on in the morning.

His wet socks will hardly be really wringing wet, just moist. Not enough to make his dry socks underneath wet enough to be felt. And during the night the moist socks will dry up. Ready for a new day. The same principle for inner felt boot he has.

I use more normal ski boots, as it does not get that cold here on the coast. So I toss the boots in a bag and put a zippo hand warmer in each of them. Gives me warm boots in the mornning :)

Last edited:

Bumbler

Nomad
Feb 22, 2013
Norway
www.bushcraft.no
Nice tip, thank you Bumbler.
That Lars Monsen film was something else wasn't it? !!

Best.
Chris.

Lars monsen is something else, period :)

He is my main inspiration for wanting at all to sleep outside in winter again. It's not something I've done since I was ordered to in the army, he he...
Well, I never really had the kit for it either. I had a good sleeping bag, but not something I would sleep ouside wiothout a heated tent in.

But thanks to Monsen, and some inspiration from Forums like this, not to speak of all the crazy stuff people film and put on youtube, I have now kitted up and can do that in comfort. And all those tricks one aquired in the Norwegian army comes back to me :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE