Cup Mug is there a real alternative to the crusader!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Neils, the dutch water bottle fits the mug, both the old 850ml one and the newer 1l bottle. Endys sell them, but you should be able to source on at home very easily. I've got 3 of these set ups myself, as well as a crusader and numerous Ospreys, a Tantoka mug and nalgenes.

Thanks for the advice, but I don't really need one anymore now. I really like the crusader setup, but I need to figure out a better carry system. Like maybe a strap over the shoulder or something.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
MSR Titan kettle, apprx 750 ml. Does both the work of the (heavy) Crusader & Zebra 10, and comes with a lid that fits solid so you can store stuff inside when not in use. Add a folding cup and you're sorted.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
MSR Titan kettle, apprx 750 ml. Does both the work of the (heavy) Crusader & Zebra 10, and comes with a lid that fits solid so you can store stuff inside when not in use. Add a folding cup and you're sorted.

MSR titan kettle as well, mine weighs only 130g compared to my crusader which weighs (without a lid) 280g,

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...So what alternatives are there to the crusader mug?.."

In the late nineties I purchased a 'Lifesystems' mug which would comfortable fit the base of a Sigg 0.75L bottle, I still have both someplace, however these days a 58 bottle is what I generally carry so the Crusader mug is the obvious choice.

:)

gentlemanc

Aug 24, 2010
Southampton, Hampshire
I bought a stainless GSI mug recently with folding handles. It will nest halfway into the 10cm zebra billy (up to the handles) and a 1L Nalgene bottle will next inside of that. Most of this (not the nalgene) nests inside my maxpedition 12x5 water bottle holder along with my tea and fire supplies. I'm very pleased with it as a cup. I use my water bottle for water or gatorade, but tea or when I bring of bit of Canadian whiskey it goes in the mug. Its stainless so I can use it as a seperate cook container if need be, and it nests beautifully with the rest of my kit.

http://www.gsioutdoors.com/products/pdp/glacier_stainless_bottle_cuppot

Snapshot_20130614.jpg

Thanks Max sound like you have a very similar set up you have as I am looking to get sorted. Have looked at these and it would be perfect only problem they cost £20 plus here!

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
Cheers thanks for that. Missed ur post for some reason when looking on my phone. How well does the zebra fit over the mug. Is it a snug fit or is it lose and rattles?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Thanks for the advice, but I don't really need one anymore now. I really like the crusader setup, but I need to figure out a better carry system. Like maybe a strap over the shoulder or something.

Instead of attaching it to your belt (I assume from your post you meant your pants belt because you said it drags them down) try attaching it to the pack's waistbelt. That's where I carry mine.

Thanks Max sound like you have a very similar set up you have as I am looking to get sorted. Have looked at these and it would be perfect only problem they cost £20 plus here!

Bummer. I paid $12 CAD for mine. The Tatonka one looks identical. Any cheaper there?

Cheers thanks for that. Missed ur post for some reason when looking on my phone. How well does the zebra fit over the mug. Is it a snug fit or is it lose and rattles?

Maybe a little rattle, but it is very snug. Might be 1 mm between the mug and billy. I don't notice it in my pack. It won't fit any further into the 10cm though due to the handles. Turns out there is just enough room for my trangia burner between the mug and billy can. I just checked it, and with the Nalgene this will fit in the maxpedition 12x5 bottle holder. Should be enough room in the top for zebra lid, and possible the 10cm plate as well. I normally have my Nalgene in the canoe with me, so I stuff the mug with my brew kit, pot gripper, wash cloth, etc.

I can take some more pictures of my cook kit later, most of it fits into the 12x5 maxpedition.

H

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
Maybe a little rattle, but it is very snug. Might be 1 mm between the mug and billy. I don't notice it in my pack. It won't fit any further into the 10cm though due to the handles. Turns out there is just enough room for my trangia burner between the mug and billy can. I just checked it, and with the Nalgene this will fit in the maxpedition 12x5 bottle holder. Should be enough room in the top for zebra lid, and possible the 10cm plate as well. I normally have my Nalgene in the canoe with me, so I stuff the mug with my brew kit, pot gripper, wash cloth, etc.

I can take some more pictures of my cook kit later, most of it fits into the 12x5 maxpedition.

H
Thanks for the info. Thinking I may have to get the 10cm billy at some point. And I like the fact the trangia burner fits in between the mug and billy.

gentlemanc

Aug 24, 2010
Southampton, Hampshire
The tatonka does look similar but only find for £42!

looking like either the alpkit or the GSI! Love the fact you can get your burner in there to! I see you modded your zebra so will have to look at that too.

Bummer. I paid $12 CAD for mine. The Tatonka one looks identical. Any cheaper there?

H

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
I've been meaning to photograph my cook kit for a while as I'm pretty pleased with it. Since there is a bit of interest here, I figured I'd make a video. Check it out.

Thanks for doing th video. I Iike this setup and I think I will have to add the billy to my setup .

Cheers

gentlemanc

Aug 24, 2010
Southampton, Hampshire
watching that is like deja vu, we have almost identical kit and you have solved my mug issue, my new GSI mug is on the way. I also have a few tweaks to make and will perhaps put a video up when I get my rig together. Still amazed at the similarities between our respective kit!

watching that is like deja vu, we have almost identical kit and you have solved my mug issue, my new GSI mug is on the way. I also have a few tweaks to make and will perhaps put a video up when I get my rig together. Still amazed at the similarities between our respective kit!

Cool! I got the idea from bushcraftcanada.com (no affiliation). They had a 12x5 maxpedition bottle, with 10cm billy, maxpedition plastic bottle, and a crusader cooker, as a cook kit put together to sell. I thought it was a grand idea, but poorly executed. So I set out to make my own. Started with the 10cm billy, trangia and trangia triangle, and a klean kanteen insulated container. It has evolved quite a bit since then.

But upon looking online, these bottle bag cook kit seems quite common, much to my surprise!

Glad the video was helpful, and enjoy your new mug!

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
When it comes to kit I must be a psychologists dream. I spend hours reorganising and searching, researching and trying out stuff and have spent a considerable fortune on gucci kit and am beginning to hone in on what I need and then have a much longer list of what I would like. I have been on this forum a while so know I am among friends who also suffer from this, hither to, undiagnosed psychosis.

The last couple of days I have been very twitchy, I have bought some custom molle webbing, as I would like to try a new logic by having a "ditch kit" or camp kit plus a rig for foraging etc allowing me to be away from the camp for most of the day and still have what I might need to cover most eventualities. I am in the process of sorting what should go in the rig and what should go in my pack for the camp kit. I have concluded that my honey stove, katadyn filter and brew kit should be in the webbing with my new 10cm Zebra Billy. Now we approach the nub of it, I cannot seem to make it come together with a crusader mug as well. There I am about to by a load of new pouches etc when I concluded it is the mug that does not fit so what is the alternative? What better place to ask this question than here! So what alternatives are there to the crusader mug?

NO there isn't ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE