Anvils: A beginner buyers guide

• Hey Guest, For sale we have Hultafors Outdoor Knives with Firesteel PLEASE LOOK HERE for more information or use the Pay Now button in the sidebar

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
I can't contribute anything to this thread as I never realised that there was so much to know about anvils.
Thanks for sharing and creating the post.
I am going to look for a sledge once the auctions open.

cbournes

Aug 22, 2020
Cheshire
I am trying to identify my anvil, I have found the normal British weight marks 3 2 8 which I believe makes is a 400lb anvil, but the only thing I can find which looks like a makers mark is a circle stamped above the weight marks, but nothing else is identifiable, on the opposite side of the anvil there might be and ER, but it's so worn it's hard to tell whether it's just my imagination. :O_O:, anyone have any suggestions / ideas? Thanks

Silverclaws2

Forager
Dec 30, 2019
Devon
I have one, am not sure yet, but I might have to let go,, what it is in terms of name or weight I don't know except to say I can't lift it, nor have I seen any obvious makers marks, all I know about it is that it came out of Devonport dockyard. And the stand for it is as near as heavy, a frame made of cut and welded I beams. I worked in a smithy a few years ago for the blacksmith to tell me what it was , but I have since forgot.

SteveNewEngland

Jan 9, 2021
Connecticut USA
Hello.
Mac, this post is most informative, thank you for providing such a great overview. Within your message you say that if i would like some help with identifying an anvil to private message you. I seem to not have permissions to do that. If you could help me out in getting a message to you, I’d be most appreciative. I am looking to gather some info, construction type, and possible maker on my great grandfathers anvil which I recently acquired. Cheers.

C_Claycomb

Mod
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Hello Steve,
As a new member your first few posts must be manually approved before they appear on the forum. During this period you cannot send private messages. Once you have made some more posts (think it is five), you should be able to send PMs. Our advice to all new members is to post a bit about themselves in the Intros section and participate/contribute on a couple of active threads.
These measures have stopped forum and message spam and help with ensuring forum rules on selling are followed, but we do recognise they can be annoying to start with.
Best regards

Chris

SteveNewEngland

Jan 9, 2021
Connecticut USA
Hello Steve,
As a new member your first few posts must be manually approved before they appear on the forum. During this period you cannot send private messages. Once you have made some more posts (think it is five), you should be able to send PMs. Our advice to all new members is to post a bit about themselves in the Intros section and participate/contribute on a couple of active threads.
These measures have stopped forum and message spam and help with ensuring forum rules on selling are followed, but we do recognise they can be annoying to start with.
Best regards

Chris
Thanks Chris

tombear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Somewhere else I've recounted the saga of my acquiring this little 1/2 cwt Wm. Parker Attacliffe anvil. Some one was kind enough to tell me what I could do to it to make it more usable. Unfortunately I've forgotten what he said so if someone could remind me I'd be grateful. One thing I'm going to do off my own bat is to clean up the hardy hole and expand it from 3/4 inch square to a full inch. I've not been able to find any hardies for 3/4" holes but seen quite a few 1 inch ones. The welded on top is a good 3/8ths of a inch thick, nearer a half maybe.

7gMT0Pl.jpg

A1aI649.jpg

On the same vague note we got a son a small two burner Devil Forge for xmas from the makers ebay shop, it's the entry level version with the door at the back. It arrived remarkably quickly from the Baltic. Anyroad, due the weather etc hes not used it yet, He says he will get a 19Kg propane tank when the weather improves. He mainly wants it for heat treating as he so far likse stock removal more than forging. However that was done with the hand pumped charcoal forge I knocked up which was a pain to get up to temperature and keep there. He wants a heat gun thingy to make accurate temperature readings. He's got a decent magnet on a stick for testing for the whatsit point but a basic heat reading device will make learning to judge colours etc easier. Could anyone recommend a basic, reliable ( and cheap?) heat gun he can order? He's started the second year of a engineering apprenticeship so he knows something of metallurgy and use of tools. He even cleans and puts away in the right place the stuff he borrows now, something I could never beat into any of them!

ATB

Tim

Hultafors Outdoor knife for Sale

We have a a number of Hultafors Outdoor Knives with Firesteels for sale.

You can see more details here in this thread OUTDOOR KNIVES The price is £27 posted to the UK. Pay via the paypal button below.