GPS - where/who/what/when

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

seamonkey

Forager
Sep 11, 2004
Scotland - Angus
Hi there,
A quick question regarding GPS units - having sold some of my gear i have some spare funds to spunk on a gadget (and the missus thinks its a good idea) I'm on the lookout for a handheld unit.
It is to be used primarily as a backup and to be honest for a bit of fun.i.e collecting waypoints to send to my mates . I can imagine it'll also get some use finding my way around foreign cities or at least finding my way back to the hostel.

So far the requirements are:
- I'd like to be able to connect it to a laptop to download routes (using USB no serial
- Should take AAs as with all my other kit
- Mapping would be nice - but i can't yet make my mind up if this is necessary ? how good are the Oz and NZ city maps for instance.

Thus far i have looked at some basic models wth no mapping the etrax and the magellan 100

i'd also be happy with a second hand model and am scouring ebay at the mo,
(edited to say the magellan Meridian also looks good) Ebay Goodness
any thoughts?
Any advice greatfully received!

Thanks in advance

Graham

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
Graham, I have a Garmin Map60Cx, I love the thing! It is a little larger than some but the screen is easier to see and it also can be seen in bright sunlight, a common problem with color LCD displays is that they are illegible in bright light.
The unit has a removeable micro SD memory card and you can go as high as 512MB. I have a 256MB card and can load a lot of maps without worry.
It works inside the vehicle without an external antenna and is very accurate.
I have had several GPS units over the years and by far this one is the best and most useful.
There are some less expensive alternatives in the Map60 line, one with monochrome display with limited memory and one that costs more than the Map60Cx with a built in electronic compass.
I really love this Map60Cx, and would recommend it to anyone. Also quite easy to use.
Any GPS in the Garmin brand is a good investment. They make all sorts.
Hope that helps! Cheers!

seamonkey

Forager
Sep 11, 2004
Scotland - Angus
Cheers,

the more i read about these handheld trail of crumb machines the more confused i get.

Interesting point re the colour screen and readability/batter power, i notice the etrax lasts 22 hours on one set as oposed to only 8 for a colour visa model.
All the bells and whistles in the world don't do you any good in the bush if the batteries are dead.

I'll have a look at the Map60 series however i would like to be able to use some sort of mapping feature so maybe the monochrome model is for me

for anyone else interested here is a good if US biased GPS site? Click

cheers

Graham

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
seamonkey said:
Hi there,
A quick question regarding GPS units - having sold some of my gear i have some spare funds to spunk on a gadget (and the missus thinks its a good idea) I'm on the lookout for a handheld unit.
It is to be used primarily as a backup and to be honest for a bit of fun.i.e collecting waypoints to send to my mates . I can imagine it'll also get some use finding my way around foreign cities or at least finding my way back to the hostel.

So far the requirements are:
- I'd like to be able to connect it to a laptop to download routes (using USB no serial
- Should take AAs as with all my other kit
- Mapping would be nice - but i can't yet make my mind up if this is necessary ? how good are the Oz and NZ city maps for instance.

Thus far i have looked at some basic models wth no mapping the etrax and the magellan 100

i'd also be happy with a second hand model and am scouring ebay at the mo,
(edited to say the magellan Meridian also looks good) Ebay Goodness
any thoughts?
Any advice greatfully received!

Thanks in advance

Graham

Hi mate,
I have a Garmin etrex, the yellow one. It was cheap and is doing everything I need. What I can read from you list the little etrex holds all the functions.

How did I choose my Garmin,
I wanted to set waypoints of my traps and being able to find my car or cabin even in a Blizzard. I didnt choose a gps with colour screen or maps because I wanted to safe on batterie power, the maps feature sucks a lot of energy and they are hard to read. I am using a program called mapsource together with my etrex, I have very detailed maps on my computer, can plan my route there and upload all the waypoints and routes into the gps.

The gps shows me then with a single big arrow on a black and white screen the direction. Very simple, straight forward and even when its minus 25 celsius the batteries are holding up. After a day of hunting I noticed that the screen got dimm I am sure I would not have been able to see a map but the big arrow I still could see.

I am using the gps nearly every day and I am very found of my little unit.

cheers
Abbe

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Another vote for the Garmin Etrex.

The yellow one is very basic but there are several in the range with different features (and various prices).I'm sure you could find one to suit. :)

seamonkey

Forager
Sep 11, 2004
Scotland - Angus
Thanks for the input folks mucho appreciated, i'm heading off to town tomorrow to have a play with them, i'll give the basic garmin a look

cheers

Graham

JayKay

Hi there,

I also own the Etrex Vista, the grey model. It is very good This one has 24 mb of memory, so you can put in a map. It also has an electronic compass and altimeter/barometer.

They also run on rechargeable batteries, so that's a plus in my opinion.

I won't go into the greens without one.....

Jeroen

snag68

Tenderfoot
May 29, 2005
Birmingham UK
Nicklas Odh said:
I myself use the Legend C and I am happy with it. I have used it for a year now for mostly geocaching and I reccomend it.

Another vote for the Etrex Legend. Great little machine with all the functions (except compass. :( ) Mapping, tracks and track back - invaluable in the dark!!

Dazz

Jul 30, 2006
Sunny Bournemouth
I had the little yellow one 2 years ago. £120 in shops at time but got it brand new on ebay for £70.

Went geological mapping in south of france with it for 5 weeks. Loved it. Back lit, easy to use, estimates your time and distance when walking back to camp. Loads of other features. Designed for the left hand because most people are right handed - if i remember correctly. It took 2 standard AA batteries and they lasted a week!
I sold it for what i pid for it after i had used it knowing it would only kick around in my bag for months and i was a poor student at the time. If you get a bargin you can easily sell it on.
Berghaus make a lovely case that fits them perfectly - i now keep my mobile phone in it when i go hiking.

Hope my input has been useful.

thanks,

Paul

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE