Selling gear is a real loss ....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
having a semi-nomadic lifestyle is an effective way to prevent building up too much stuff-- soon i will be very sadly back to drifting; right now i*m sorting through my belongings, deciding what to take in my backpack and what to leave behind- hopefully most of it can go into storage for my return [ this round goes to immigration but i will be back again to fight another time for finding a home in the country i came to like]. makes me sad to leave most of my tools behind....

but i can feel with you guys [and ladies]

Pretty much, yes.

It also means you end up keeping the stuff that works for you.

Most of my life sits in one of two North Face bags or in an old trunk sized flight case.

although would prefer to settle down.... . i guess if i keep drifting for much longer i will have to look for a new backpack- some of the stitching on mine starts to fail in a place i cannot reach...

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
I'm a tidy hoarder :( doesn't matter what it is, i don't like to throw it if it has even the remotest connection to me or my family, like the 19yr old tin of anchovies i have on my desk :)

If an object has any practical purpose then i am loath to sell or junk, as i know ten years from then, i will suddenly have a use for it.

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
I've sold and passed on gear quite a bit over the years, and I've never yet had cause to regret letting anything go. Maybe that's because I replace it with yet more unnecessary gear almost instantly... come to think of it I'm a chronic hoarder with occasional and brief outbreaks of virtue.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
One problem with collecting is storage, and as a reminder to others, if you choose a storage place for your collection of game consoles that started with an original 'Woody' Atari and included the SNES, the N64 and an original Playstation... probably best not to store them in a garage that is prone to flooding and has a bit of a leaky roof.

I spent an afternoon with a miserable look on my face as I placed console after console into a skip... along with hard drives I bought back in the 90s and several packs of playing cards... not a happy day.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Your Misses is giving you grief over some out door gear that may or may not save a life if the Sheeet goes down..??

Here's a idea mate.
1.. Go through her Underwear Drawer then go through her no doubt various make up bags.
2.. resist the temptation of getting dolled up. The temptation will be strong. you must resist.
3.. Look up the prices of said knickers, Bras and make up.
4..Get ready to throw £60+ for a Bra and Knicker set, £25 for one Lipstick, £50 for a haircut right back in her over plastered face.
5..Leave her, she aint worth the hassle.
6 Ignore me.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Steve that's a cracking idea mate - do you work for Relate by chance? hahahaha

No but... if you're looking for a bargain, Steve does have a particular set of skills, skills that he has acquired from trawling Gumtree. Skills that make him a nightmare for people who don't list their details properly. If you're not fussed about a bargain, that'll be the end of it. He will not look for them, he will not pursue them.

But if you want a bargain, he will find them, he will go there and he will knock on the door. :p

Nic Le Becheur

Forager
Sep 10, 2015
Ludlow
Thanks, Stevie. I needed that. A skill that should be learned by every Bushcrafter with an unenthusiastic partner...

Your Misses is giving you grief over some out door gear that may or may not save a life if the Sheeet goes down..??

Here's a idea mate.
1.. Go through her Underwear Drawer then go through her no doubt various make up bags.
2.. resist the temptation of getting dolled up. The temptation will be strong. you must resist.
3.. Look up the prices of said knickers, Bras and make up.
4..Get ready to throw £60+ for a Bra and Knicker set, £25 for one Lipstick, £50 for a haircut right back in her over plastered face.
5..Leave her, she aint worth the hassle.
6 Ignore me.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
No but... if you're looking for a bargain, Steve does have a particular set of skills, skills that he has acquired from trawling Gumtree. Skills that make him a nightmare for people who don't list their details properly. If you're not fussed about a bargain, that'll be the end of it. He will not look for them, he will not pursue them.

But if you want a bargain, he will find them, he will go there and he will knock on the door. :p

Smiling like a Cheshire Cat or someone who may be a tad demented here.. :lmao:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
While it took some practice, I don't hesitate any more to sell off stuff to bankroll the next adventure.
The 5-year and 10-year no-use criterion works for me.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Think this thread may well be cited in possible divorce proceedings & section cases! goodjob:35:
Can you imagine the disturbance in the force if us men demanded that the good lady cut down her make up use by half, bought a 5 pack of kecks for under a tenner from George instead of La Senza and went to flymo Flynn's for a £6.50 haircut every 4 months. :yikes:

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I am going through that process now and now pleased I am doing it. If I can't sell in a month I am going to get rid in the bin or charity shop. I have learn't You have got to tough and to be honest realistic. Just don't need all the kit.

But its hard and never ending. Sad to say even a arktis chest rig i never took off 25 years ago find difficult to throw, just because of the memories. Weird but soon to be rid of (I Hope)

Last edited:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Im having to get rid of stuff due to downsizing. But this makes me realise what junk I have

(`It will come in handy some day`attitude)

I live on my own, but I would not let anyone tell me what I can and cant have

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE