list to learn

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
fenlander roughly when do you plan to have a meet again, so i know how long i have to make the cordage, i will most probs do the nettle one tommorow
leon

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
You could use the skin for ground dwelling but it will take a bit of preparation when you get on site. You will need to make a bed using wooden boughs, big thick straight branches at the bottom, thinner branches on top of that at right angles, top it off with loads of bracken or spruce boughs and you will have a comfy mattress. Stick the skin on top of that and you will have a majestic bed for the night!

I slept on something similar the first night I ever slept outdoors many moons ago, I remember it being very comfy. Of course, I didn't have a skin to top it off, just a couple of blankets and raincoats thrown on top to shed the rain.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
yes i will use some bracken instead of a foam mat, it sounds very comfy actually
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
this weekend coming ? i might be able to do sunday, i will have to ask my boss if i can change my day i work
wt have you got in mind ?
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
sorry ark angel i only just saw your post, yes something like that in the corner of my pic
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
yes i will hopefully be getting a reindeer skin, i havent posted your pouch yet but most likely will tommorow
ps: my mums going to b&q and if she remembers lol she is buying me some wood to make a birdbox with, what sort of size should i make it and how big should the hole be ?
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
yipeeeeeeeeeee i finally lit a featherstick with a firesteel red, it took me about 50 strikes on my firesteel and a busted knuckle but i done it in the end, i tryed at first but it just wasnt working so i thought maybe the wood is damp so i got another piece of wood split it into 4 with my axe and used the inside ocrner for my featherstick, the feathers came out alot thinner and i struck it a few times with my firesteel and it lit
yipeeeee
leon

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well,I seem to remember owing you a prize for that...but I'm clear out of prizes right now so maybe we can offset the antler against it ? ;)

Well done mate - great job!

Now all you need to do is be able to do it repeatedly - how fine was your feathering?

You should be taking photos of this stuff now you have a camera!

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
yes sure mate dont worry about it, im just glad that i done it, the shavings were fairly fine but the feather stick didnt burn for that long, next time i will put more feathers on it
leon
can you answer my bird box question ?
leon

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Fraid not mate - I think the size, design and hole size depends on the bird you are trying to attract - owl boxes are totally different to blue tit ones! I suspect you would find something by looking on the RSPB website

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
yes i just looked at that but not the kids version, it has a diagram and some good dimentions, it says build the large box for starlings with a 45mm hole
this is what i will build as i see starlings all the time in my garden
leon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE