list to learn

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
i drilled a 45mm hole in it and its now secured in the conifer tree, about 3 foot above it is a nest, the box is about 3 foot of the ground but i think i will have to put it a bit higher
leon

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
leon-b said:
i drilled a 45mm hole in it and its now secured in the conifer tree, about 3 foot above it is a nest, the box is about 3 foot of the ground but i think i will have to put it a bit higher
leon

Yes you wont it as high as you can get it, at least 6/7 foot I should think to keep it out of the reach of cats. also you can by wire tubes to go over the hole to stop cats and squirrels from reaching in.

So when are we going to see some pictures of your new bird-box taken with your new camera? :D

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i will see how it gets on where it is, my dog cant reach it and we dont get any cats in our garden because of the dog
pictures will be up soon
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
here they are
birdbox2.jpg

birdbox.jpg

leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
im going to put out a plate for the birds in our garden, what should i put on it ?, nuts raisins etc ?
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i have just started making the small birds nesting box, the base, back and front are glued and tacked togather.
i am putting a 28mm hole in it, this should allow the blue tits etc in
leon

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Looks good that mate - but I'd try to get it up at least 6'. You may know they are safe but the birds don't.

Lots of birds prefer to feed up high where they can keep an eye out. Could you make a bird table?

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
im sure i could knock something resembling a bird table up, i will see if any bids move in within the week if they dont i will put it higher up, if i open the lid and theres bedding in there or even a bird, will they get scared and move out or what ???
do you have any links to birdtable plans ?
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
the second bird box is completed i drilled a 32 mm hole, what will this attract ?
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
thanks for that, i may make one i dont know, i told my mum and she said dont forget we do have a dog leon so i dont know
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
hi
my dad wants to get a knife to keep in his landrover and use for odd jobs etc, he is undecided on a folder or a fixed blade so he is open to most options, what knife can you reccomend for under £20 ?
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
he is now decided on a fixed blade, i saw this and he liked the look of it what do you think ?
i would like a few more to choose from though
leon

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
London
That knife is nice but i personally would go for a frosts mora or a clipper. Under ten quid for both types(mora training one is better) and the have hard plastic sheaths. So they won't get damaged if they are being knocked around in the rover :D .

Also i would recommend one of the opinel knives( come in various sizes 6,7,8,9 ect) very good choice if your undecided and want a lock knife. Also if you pay a bit more you can get the opinel with a leather sheath.

My first knife was the mora and it was razor sharp and stayed sharp(you probably have one :) ). Anyway you can't go wrong for undr a tenner and they are carbon steel.

Hope this helps mate :D

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
he is decided on a fixed blade and although he likes the clipper he wants something with a wooden handle and thats a bit prettier
how much can the helle ones be had ?
leon

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
London
Helle ones will set you back £40 for the cheapest one mate but they are super. The sheaths are beautiful. Check on ebay but my personal recommendations would be
Helle Odel and
Helle Fjellkniven.

Go to ebay and they should be on there. But if its an odd job knife you can't knock a clipper. Plus a helle can't just be left for oddjobs otherwise it wouldn't be worth buying.

Hope this helps :D

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i cant find those knives on ebay.co.uk, he doesnt want to spend any more than £20 really
any other options ?
leon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE