list to learn

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
well red heres your spatula i carved it out of walnut and have sanded it and oiled it once it is not perfect and i dont think its the best thing that i have carved but it is ok
hope you like it
walnutspatulaio5.jpg

leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i love my beating stick and i want it to last so is there anything i can coat it with to protect it from the weather
leon

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Sorry Leon, even though my green light has been on, I haven't been at the PC for a few hours!! I don't have any links for cheap fleeces, I tend to pick them up in the supermarkets here in Germany. They put some wierd stuff out for cheap, like my dehydrator that cost 17 euros brand new! It is the same one that was being sold on QVC for twice the price!!

Lidls sometimes have them here in Germany, keep an eye on your local Lidl or Aldi, which is also a german chain of shops. They sometimes have wierd stuff in there, not what you would normally find in a supermarket.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
ok, next time i am in tescos i will have a look for some, what do you think of reds spatula
leon

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thats looking really great Leon - thanks my friend I really appreciate it - it will come on my winter outing in Feb!

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
sounds good remember to post the pictures
red if my stick is 3/4 of an inch what size ferrule shall i get ?
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
ok 10 it is thanks red, now i want to preserve my stick for years to come so i will need to seal it with something what shall i use for that ?
just out of interest how long can expect my stick to last ?
thanks leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
when i was out beating last saturday we came across a plant which none of us could identify we asked my uncle what it was and he said it was called prickly pear and that it was poisenes, i can now positivly identify it
leon

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Get it really dry, then keep rubbing oil into it with wire wool (or a kitchen scourer - just don't give it back after ;)). Cooking oil is fine. Your grand children should enjoy using it

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i will leave it in the airing cupboard for a couple of days it is pretty dry anyway, the bark is still on can i still apply the oil in the same way ?
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
tommorow evening i will put up some photos of my stave, there will be a close up of the bark as i am not sure what wood it is
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i have just recieved my bcuk magazine i havent had the chance to read them yet but they look great and also in a handy size
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
heres my stick one side of the staff is dark and the other is light why is this ?
anyway please could someone tell me what wood this is

heres the light side of my stave
lightcolourofstaffku0.jpg

heres the dark side
darkcolourofstaffkw6.jpg

and heres the egg shape on the top (could someone tell me what this is called)
topofstaffbw5.jpg

sorry about the poor pictures they are from a phone
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
im going to make a list of things that i need to buy and over time when i have the money buy them one by one, i have added to the list trousers and a fleece but i also need some wellies, so what can you reccomend, i am a size 6 but i want room for thick socks my feet are still growing so i dont want anything to expensive so lets keep it under £35
thanks leon

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'd say either hazel or cherry Leon. I suspect its hazel cut from a coppiced stool, which would accont for the knob (which would in fact be the bottom)

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
thanks red
today i had a hospital appointment but we arrived on town a bit early so we went shopping to pass the time, out of my money i bought some dunlop wellies for a tenner and some walking socks, my mum bought me for christmas a maglite aa led and an army model firesteel, at blacks they had a deal that if you spent more than £50 you could get a bergaus twenty four seven 30 daysack for a tenner when the retail price was £30 so of course i had to buy it, so now im basically all kited up
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
hi i have 8 garden canes about 5 and a half foot long in my garden how would i go about making a very basic bow out of these
leon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE