list to learn

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
i love my beating stick it gets used every other week beating and i also use it as a staff but it needs a ferrule on the bottom, i am not sure if i want metal or rubber and i am not sure which one to buy as this site lists loads can you help me
leon

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Metal!

You'll have to shape the end of the stick for a tight fit. Buy a few sizes as its the postage that gets you anyway ;) (Actually its browsing the catalogue that hurts :D).

You can get them at game and country fairs too but they tend to be overpriced. A copper endpipe from B&Q works well as aa ferrule

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
ok a metal one it is i will measure the end of my stick, is it better to get it to big or to smallleon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i also cam across these what do you think, if they are any good i'll get a few of them
will they dry out fast ?
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
is it an alpine ferule that i want or a stick making ferule, i think it is the stick making one but i am not sure
leon

Voivode

Forager
Oct 24, 2006
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
leon-b said:
i dont know inches so could you please tell me what size
leon

Assuming you measured your stick in inches (12/16ths?), that's 3/4 inch. 25.4 mm/inch, so you're looking at a stick that's 19.05mm in diameter. I think you can figure the rest out on your own, assuming I understand what you've said. :D

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
at the moment i pretty much have my kit list sorted there is just a few more bits that i need, but the only clothing i have is my m65 coat and 3 wooly pullys i would like some trousers and some green fleeces so has anyone got any links to some or know of any good ones my budget is about £35 for each item of clothing
for the trousers i came across these what do you think
will they dry out fast or will they hold the water ?
leon

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I think they are the ones I got from S&A, but they don't look a thing like the picture. I am wearing mine now in fact and they are very durable, like a medium weight denim I suppose. If they got wet, they'd take longer to dry than issued lightweights, but I don't think it'd take too long. I think lightweights are the best trousers to wear to be quite honest with you, but I can't as it is part of my uniform and it wouldn't be worth the grief wearing them in my own time.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i think i will go with them because of the price but if they dont work out i will get some lightweights, spamel any suggestions on a fleece
leon

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Fleeces, keep it cheap!! I have a fleece in black which cost me five euros. If it gets a hole in it, so what? It cost nothing and can be easily replaced. Also, if you are layering with them, you will stay warm!!

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i see alot of fleeces are 100% polyester is this any good or shall i get a wool one
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
ok thanks mate, i still have one more question my beating stick measures 12/16 what size ferrule shall i get for it
btw red i have your spatula finished but i wont send it untill i have your cartridge matchcase made, pictures to follow soon
leon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE