list to learn

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Leon,

If you talk to the Firearams Licensing, they can process your application as far as possible, and only check the installation of your cabinet before issuing your certificate. This saves wasting your money

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
leon-b said:
at the moment i wear some old trousers, a wooly pully and my m65 coat for shooting but i need some trousers, i will use the trousers for bushcraft and shooting, they nees to be warm, waterproof and green my budget is about £35 maximum any ideas guys
leon
Don't but water proof trousers Leon. You will sweat something orrible. Buy some reasonable cotton trousers and some waterproof overtrousers when its raining. Try some British Army Lightweights (or if you like leg pockets, the similar ones on Attelborough Accesories). Unless you spend a lot of time wet, start off with cheap overtrousers. Good gaiters and a longer coat work for me

Red

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I'd go along with gaiters and long coat, legs do get abused somewhat, we don't tend to put warm gear on them like we do our upper bodies, but wet proof trousers rustle, get sweaty and are damned horrible in my opinion. I wear Berghaus Yeti gaiters and my Helly Hansen smock comes down to mid thigh. I can cope with wet knees!!

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
leon-b said:
i read on the internet that when the police come round your house to check that you can be trusted they look at where you are going to be keeping the gun does this mean that i would need to get a gun cabinet before i apply for a licence
leon

The choice is entirely up to you.

Not sure how you would stand with your age.
The local police force site should have afirearms section in it (North Yorkshire does). You should find all relevant information in there with regards to owning a shotgun in your area (it can vary from county to county).

The general belief in North Yorkshire is that if the cabinet is installed before the police come round for the interview then it helps the application as it proves you are serious about gun ownwership. This is of course assuming you meet the other criteria (no criminal record etc). However check your local forces website as it should tell you where they are happy with it situated (in North Yorkshire they want the cabinet secured <and i do mean secured> to an exterior wall preferably out of sight.

It is not essential but it does speed up the process a bit. If you don't have a cabinet installed when the officer calls then he must come back at some point to check it. As they are usualy busy people it can be a few weeks between calls.

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
i will try and get hold of some army lightweights
i will speak to my nan when i next see her and tell her that i am old enough to get a licence and have a gun but i would need a metal gun cabinet, i will tell her that you reccomended a 20 bore and then she will probebly speak to my uncle as she goes round there most days, then when i next see her we will talk about it some more, i wonder what my uncle will say to me buying a gun and using it on his shoot he probebly will let me but he will give me a long lecture about guns and safety which is fair enough and will benifit me anyway
the hardest thing will be persuading the mother but my nan will help me
leon

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
British Red said:
Leon,

Personally, I'd avoid a .410. Try a 20 bore if you find a 12 bore too much right now. I know they have their friends, but I think a .410 is a rat gun. They are okay for really close vermin work, but, to be honest, given what you have said about your uncles shoot, I don't think its suitable (its not a gun for a high pheasant). A lot of guys shoot 20 bore although I would say a good 12 bore is a lifelong investement

The money you are talking about is going to buy you a basic (very basic) second hand gun so don't worry about makes. You need to decide if you want to game shoot or clay shoot or both as the barrel length, chokes etc can be different.

I suspect you will use clays to practice live quarry so get a game gun - say..1/4 and IC choke/ I'd hope for an over & under but settle for a side by side.

Shoot a few first and find out what works. I suggest get a few clay lessons first and use a club gun as ArkAngel said

Oh..BTW ArkAngel ...I was (really) shooting a Baker Rifle last month...and....?

Red

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

20 bore of course....why didn't i think of that.

Red
A baker rifle no less??!! :35:
Classic weaponry :You_Rock_

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
my mate is my age and he has just got a gun licence so i will ask him about it at school, his gun cabinet isnt secured to an exterior wall it is inside his house
leon

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
leon-b said:
my mate is my age and he has just got a gun licence so i will ask him about it at school, his gun cabinet isnt secured to an exterior wall it is inside his house
leon

It depends on the location and structure of the house. Mine is hidden in a upstairs cupboard bolted using 12 raw bolts (8 in the wall and 4 in the floor) on an outside wall.
The police prefer an outside wall because of it's security.If the dividing walls in the house are made from a wood frame covered with plasterboard (as a lot of modern houses are) then it would be reasonably easy to wrench the cabinet away from the wall. Outside walls are at some point made of brick or stone and so provide an excellent anchor point.
If your friend has some stone or brick walls inside his house then the police may be happy with that. The friend that i bought my shotgun from lives in an old house, his cabinet is secured under the stairs as all his internal walls are madefrom thick stone. As long as it is out of sight the police were happy for it to be situated anywhere.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yeah...some nice guns where I shoot...wish I could own more of them...I do love the classics though..and love to see them shot (and better yet I love shooting them when invited)!That was an amazing day as there was an original Brown Bess and I got to shoot both. You simply have to do that to grap the historical significance of the rifle over the musket/ At 50 yards (about the normal distance to engage with a musket), I was happy to hit a 9" target on the paper. The Baker was grouping around 2 MOA (1") which is pretty damn good for a flintlock.

Still, no complaints on other peoples toys ...rather loving the the Steyr Scout I bought this year

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Leon,

All my cabinets are bolted to an internal weight bearing wall. As AA says, so long as it is solid (brick, block or stone) and you use expanding bolts, no problem

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
well are internal walls are wood and plaster board, but we do have a garage which we could put it in it is out of sight and has brick walls
so how do i actually go about getting a licence do i contact the police
ps : do i need any other licences to shoot like a game licence or something
leon

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Leon,

Don't put it in a garage - it'll rust!.

Look around in your bedroom. Have you got a window? The wall that its in is brick most likely. Bolt it to that!

As for getting going, first things first - talk to your mum! If she wants to discuss whats needed, I'll send you my phone number and she can talk it over with me.

Then call the firearms licensing dept of your police force and ask for a "shotgun certificate form"

Then PM me and we'll take it fro there

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
my bedroom has a window with a brick wall
ok could you pm me your phone number and what you just wrote as when people post more that post will get lost
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i have made a cartridge match case and want to make it a bit more waterproof i have heard something about candle wax how do i go about applying it
leon

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Melt some on the inside of the 'lid' and let it harden. When you put the lid on it will seal against the case and will be water tight. I tested one I made a few years back by floating it in the sink for ten minutes and it was fine. Somebody saw it whilst we were doing NBC training, he needed matches to light the CS tablets and I gave him my cartridge case, he liked it so much that I said he could keep it. I've been after some cartridges ever since but they are hard to find around here.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
You won't need to much, just enough to cover the inside floor of the lid, as it were. A few drops should be more than enough. The good thing is that if it crumbles up, as it will over time, you just heat the lid up and it will re-melt and seal again!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Just the bottom. I drip it in and then heat the lid so that it melts and you get an even covering. Lay it on something flat once it is molten but make sure it is something that won't scorch!! An upturned mug or a cheap china plate will be fine, don't use Mums best china as it tends to upset women when you wreck their china!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE