list to learn

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Leon, I believe there is no age limit on firearms licences. In fact I heard a story that sombody wanted a licence for their two month old son and it was refused only because the child was under two years old and therefore the father hadn't known his son for the minimum two years period!!

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
so would i be able to get a firearms licence and shoot on saturdays on an organised shoot ? if so how would i go about this ?
leon

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Leon,

Its called a firearms certificate (or FAC). You need to decide if you want a section 2 (shotguns) or a section 1 (rifles and other stuff not allowed on a section 2).

You will then need to have a secure location for the firearms (gun cabinet).

For a section 2, you can ask for a shotgun to shoot on any land where the landowner has given permission, on a section 1, you must show "good reason" for possion - this is normally either hunting on specific land (which must be inspected to show its safe to use a weapon of that type) for a specific species (or more than one species) or target shooting (you will need to be a full member of a club for this)

A shotgun certificates gives you permission to own shotguns in general, a section 1 permits you to own specific firearms in set calibres that yu need to apply for

You could start off by contaction the firearms licensing dept of your local police or I can give any specific advice if that helps in any way?

Your mum or dad may have to countersign your application - my mum did when I got my first certificate (and I was younger than you are)

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
it would be a section 2, where would i go from there, my nan still has to ask my uncle if i am allowed to shoot but im sure he wont mind, what is a good gun to start off with, how much do cabinets cost ?i still have to persuade my mum but my nan will help me do that lol
leon

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
They had guns when you were a kid Red?????

Flintlock?
Matchlock?
Blunderbuss?

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Sorry, couldn't resist my coats already on :sulkoff:

Leon
Are you talking about shotguns/rifles or air rifles?
Reds information is spot on as normal, but for a normal over the counter air rifle only a few of these rules apply with regards to age etc.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Whoops answered already :D

For a Shotgun certificate you need a lockable gun cabinet. If you intend to go for a section 1 later on it as well to get a cabinet with a seperatly lockable cabinet for ammunition to save costs later on.

My cabinet is a 8 gun :eek: although in reality a comfortable 4 gun which was about £150

Depends on age, what you are shooting etc. Either a 12bore or a .410 could be good starter gun. A good second hand side by side 12 bore can be picked up for less than £200

Shotties are easier to apply for, less paperwork and they are "open" tickets ie you can buy and own as many shotguns as you can fit in your cabinet.
As Red said, section 1 is much more specific where you have to list each type and caliber of rifle you want along with how many bullets you want to hold onsite and how many you want to buy at anytime.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i would only want a small gun cabinet how much would this cost me ?
what would be better for me a 410 or a 12 bore ?
how much would it cost me to get into shooting gun, liscence cabinet and everything else
leon

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Just noticed your 14

Perphaps a .410 would be a good starter gun as it would kick less.
or consider a 12 bore but with lighter cartridges (say 26gram) which would be a lot easier on the shoulder :)

A certified (ie the Police are happy with) dedicated shotgun cabinet 2-3 gun i would imagine could be picked up for less than £100.

Not sure about your part of the world but in North Yorkshire it costs £50 for a 5 year certificate.

Then a decent secondhand gun could be picked up for between £100-£150 if you shop around.

Just add cartridges (about £4 a box ish) and off you go!

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i think i will go for a 410
so it will cost me about £250 - £300 i will have some money left over from christmas and my nan will put some towards it, my mums mate organises clay pidgeon shoots so she is going to ask if i can come along to the next one maybe she is getting used to the fact that i like guns
leon

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
That's always a sensible option to go and have a look first.

Most clay clubs have their own guns and for a bit extra will give you a taster lesson.

Some clubs like the one i used to go to insist if you are young or a novice shooter you go through a few weeks of tuition with regards to stance and general gun handling and safety. This is always as it gives you a good grounding to build your skills on.

Oh and if you are clay shooting some of the time you will need ear defenders <sensible for any shooting> and some insist on eye protection too.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
thanks for the info mate, can you reccomend a cheap but reliable gun maker
leon

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Difficult to recommend 1 specific maker.

Best thing is to find a good gun shop that will spend time with you "fitting" your gun to you.
Gun fit is down to the individual, gun stocks can be neutral or biased towards left/right handed shooters. Again smaller length of barrel could be useful for your first gun. My personnal preference was a neutral stock with 30" barrels

A good gun shop will know what to look for and get you to try an number of shotguns in the "fire" position, they will be looking for good fit. This can changed with butt pads or even chopping a small amount of wood off the stock.

Best not to go with a "brand" in mind, just an amount of money. The right gun will find you <very Harry Potter :lmao: >

Anything else you want help with just ask mate, most of us have been through this a few times :D

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
we have a gun shop near us called stuart guns and clays, i will go in there with my nan and tell them that i want a 410 and i want there help to choose the right gun for me
how much do you think i should be looking to pay ?
will a 410 be capable of taking pheasants and pigeon ?
leon

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
I've never had a .410 but i wouldn't think a good second hand one would cost much more than £150.

Everyone else feel free to correct me but i don't think shooting game is a problem for a .410.
They are affectionatly known as "ladies" guns but i know a lot of lads that swear by them.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Leon,

Personally, I'd avoid a .410. Try a 20 bore if you find a 12 bore too much right now. I know they have their friends, but I think a .410 is a rat gun. They are okay for really close vermin work, but, to be honest, given what you have said about your uncles shoot, I don't think its suitable (its not a gun for a high pheasant). A lot of guys shoot 20 bore although I would say a good 12 bore is a lifelong investement

The money you are talking about is going to buy you a basic (very basic) second hand gun so don't worry about makes. You need to decide if you want to game shoot or clay shoot or both as the barrel length, chokes etc can be different.

I suspect you will use clays to practice live quarry so get a game gun - say..1/4 and IC choke/ I'd hope for an over & under but settle for a side by side.

Shoot a few first and find out what works. I suggest get a few clay lessons first and use a club gun as ArkAngel said

Oh..BTW ArkAngel ...I was (really) shooting a Baker Rifle last month...and....?

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
ok red i think it will be a 20 bore as i am not really ready for anything to powerfull on the shoulders, i would like to shoot clays and game, i should be going along to a clay shoot soon, my uncle also has a clay firing gun but it is not set up if my nan can get him to set it up me and my dad can use it
will i be able to get a 20 bore for under £200
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i am trying to find a shooting club in or near ipswich but have had no luck, does anybody know of one
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i read on the internet that when the police come round your house to check that you can be trusted they look at where you are going to be keeping the gun does this mean that i would need to get a gun cabinet before i apply for a licence
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
at the moment i wear some old trousers, a wooly pully and my m65 coat for shooting but i need some trousers, i will use the trousers for bushcraft and shooting, they nees to be warm, waterproof and green my budget is about £35 maximum any ideas guys
leon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE