list to learn

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Stuff oiling your spoon - we need a photo of you "doing a spamel" :D

spamel - you have rep (on lots of fronts today but I can only do it once)

PS - respect for being "darn sarth" our spamel. Lost some friends down there, so next time you are OS, PM me first if you need anything at all.

Red

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
pictures will follow probs tommorow but they will be off my dads 2 mega pixel phone
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i have taken the pictures and they should be up tommorrow, i also took a few pics of the spatula i carved aswell
leon

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Very cool Leon - however rep points are awarded only for your attempts at "teenage mutant ninja spamels" :D

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
maybe i will have to do a spamel impression another dya when i have more time lol
i will be putting the pictures up shortly, u had nothing better to do so i thought i would upload them now
leon

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
We had a fancy dress run a couple of months ago and there must have been at least 30 Ninla Turtles running round, all looking very very hot :lmao:

Brian

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Spoon is good Leon but the spatula is great!!! If you ever get a minute spare and you want to make one for me.......;)

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
yes i would love to make you one, another day when i have more time i will carve one and then pop it into the post for you
leon

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yeah the bottom one - but have some rep for the offer mate :D I'll take some photos of it out and about :) You are a good man Leon

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
thanks for the complement and the rep, what do you mean you will take some photos of it out and about do you mean the spoon i carve you, do you want a small spoon or a big one, i am at my nans this monday so i will cut a bit of that walnut and then carve you one out of that
leon

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Spatula deffo mate - I like to do my own spoons but I haven't got a nice spatula right now..although a walnut spoon would be cool - tell you what - do whichever you feel like! Either way it'll be great

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
yes love to see pictures, i will probs make a spatula should be made by the end of next week, i'll take a piece of walnut home with me and maybe in a couple of months i will make you a spoon aswell, after all you did give me a billy, a firesteel, lighter and much more
when i have it finished i will pm you for your address
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
lol, its ok, my mum just told me that my nan has a whole branch left which i can have its about 15 cm diameter and about 3 ft long, i will be carving lots of spoons out of this and hopefully when i have got a bit better a kuksa
leon

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I found that if I use the wood near the centre of a piece of wood, it tends to split quite badly. I did a spoon a while back that I gave to the kids in the end for playing, I sanded it down a bit too much and it is wafer thin, at one point you can see light coming through the wood!! The wood split at the tip of the spoon. I learnt a lesson there.

I made another spoon just the other week and used the hot oil method to seal it. I let the oil get a bit too hot and it scorched the wood but I'm not too bothered as it is a serving spoon so it is gonna get used quite often.

I still haven't decided whether to carve the bowl first and then carve the spoon or to carve the spoon first and then the bowl. I guess I need more practice!!

I also need to get on with a kuksa, I have a hoof knife coming to me soon aswell, it is double edged so I can push away from me to cut or pull towards me like a crooked knife, I'll get some photos up of that when I get it, it only cost a few euros, postage was more than the price of the knife!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE