list to learn

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
well my maximum bid was 12.50 as that plus postage was all of my money gone and was out bid but i am the highest bidder on this one

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
how big is the british army bivi when rolled up, should i pack it inside my ruck or roll it up and strap it to the outside
i think i will be outbid as it still has a day left but i will still try and get a bivi with the money i have
leon

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hmmmm

Sense of size.....a lot smaller than your sleeping bag - abot the size of two bags of sugar end to end?

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
ahh thats ok, i have heard that the dutch army sleeping bag is easier to get in as it has a central zip, if i get outbid on this one shall i bid on another british army or a dutch army one
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
hi, nothing to do with bivi bags but i have a military sleeping bag in large that my mum got from her freind in the army, any guesses what one it is it has a central zip and mesh posckets inside, anyway it comes with a compression sack but even when i compress it is is still really bulky any ideas on how to get it a bit smaller
leon

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
Leon,

That sounds like the British Army sleeping bag mate, nice and warm but as you have already said it is a bit bulky.

Brian

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
yes do you have any info or links on it, i am interested in finding out a bit about it
leon

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
The Army issues 3 sleeping bags (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong), an Arctic bag, a summer bag and the one you have, Its a synthetic hollow fill, not sure of the rating but I've been in one in -10 in Germany and it's been fine. The mesh pockets are for drying kit when you sleep. The bag is OK, quite well made but soldiers tend to replace it with a lighter/smaller one if they have to carry it around with them. Hope that helps mate,

Brian

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
thanks mate, if you were in it at -10 in germany im sure it will be fine in the english winters
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
yes i cant wait untill the winter so i can give it a proper test run, as i havent used it that much as it has been to warm, is synthetic hollow fill any good, what are the drawbacks
leon

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
Most bags are either Down or some form of synthetic filling. The synthetic filling in the Army sleeping bag is heavier and wont pack as small as down but will keep you fairly warm even if it gets wet, down is pretty useless when wet and takes ages to dry out mate.

Brian

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Leon I roll my sleeping bag up inside the bivi bag and stuff it together in to my sack. It's a lot easier to set up camp then, especially if its dark.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
If you are putting your sleeping bag into a bergen don't use the stuff sack. Stuff it in there, it will take up a lot of room but you can still fit stuff in. When you use a compression sack you get a hard lump that has no give a bag just stuffed in as it is lets you fit other stuff around it and in it.
This works for me anyway, ;) you could get an oversize stuff sack too, put the bag in that then stuff it, will still be flexible enough to fit kit in then but the bag will be protected.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I've also been told the mesh pockets were to put a water bottle in to stop the contents freezing. The strap at the bottom of the bag is used for hanging it up to dry, and I've also seen it being used to shorten the bag for children to sleep in.

And of course, it is used for teenage mutant ninja turtle costumes as the shell, you put the hood on your head with the sleeping bag hanging down your back, and then pull the sleeping bag up between your legs and the loop goes over your head keeping the hood in place. You should be wearing your issue cold weather long johns and then you are totally green and look like a ninja turtle. Add strips of coloured cloth and a sword or nunchucks, and you are ready to fight against forces of evil, whilst staying incredibly warm and looking if not a little daft!! :D

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I've been known to "turtle up" a few times down in the Falkland Islands!! It is very warm though, so I suggest this fancy dress costume is reserved for winter parties outside only!! :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE