list to learn

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Never thought you were Leon, but as Goose pointed out it was pretty bad form of me to start tapping about smoking on this thread of all places! So to correct the balance for the less sensible readers and all that mate......

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
ok
you know that we wanted to make plate mats out of that walnut but didnt really want to wait ages for it to season, would it season quiker if i de barked it, the bark is about 6 mm thick any ideas on how to get the bark off
leon

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hmm - there is a tool to de-bark trees - looks like a long sharp spade pretty much. Be too big for your job though. Something like a blunt chisel or a bolster might work - or even a paint scraper. Get a bit of bark off with your knife (wear gloves - yes, I know, I sound like your mum) then push the scraper along the length of the branch / tree, not "round and round" if that makes any sense?

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
well i couldnt find a scraper so i used a really thick and strong full tang knife this thing is like a mini meat cleaver, i am getting on quite well although after a while it starts to hurt your hands a bit
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
my mum just gave me the collins complete british wildlife photoguide, i have also just put up a book shelf in my room now i have just got to invest in a couple of books i have 10 at the moment
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
went to town today and bought ray mears animal tracks and signs and DK fungi
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i am probably going to order the bcuk magazine i want issues 1, 2 and 3 do they come once every season ?
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
spamel said:
What other kit have you actually got? Are you looking to replace anything with a better version? 20 quid would get you a Lowe Alpine Mountain Hat, or a silly hat as my missus calls it. It may look silly, but it is waterproof and warm, and you can get it in various colours and sizes. One of the best winter hats I ever bought!

Or you could get a Vostok watch, keeps good time and are nigh on indestructible! Good for bushcrafting.

i think there are lots of different vostok watches what one did you mean exactly, i want it to look smart but also be strong, reliable and waterproof
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
the VOSTOK F1003G has caught my eye it costs $87.50 i dont know what this is in pounds sterling but i will buy it from the money i get from christmas, looks strong and rugged i just need to find a uk dealer
EDIT: just found out that $87.50 works out to be about £46
leon

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Leon,

Nah mate - I have my own weird view on watches - and that aint it ;). If you like it and it works - go for it (think just over half the dollar price in £ plus shipping - probably £50 - £60 mate)

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
British Red said:
Leon,

Nah mate - I have my own weird view on watches - and that aint it ;). If you like it and it works - go for it

Red
what do you mean?
leon

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Leon, try this link and you will find all manner of watches. They come up on ebay all the time, there are loads on there. It depends what sort of watch you want aswell, I would love a wind up, but I'd forget to wind it so I went for an automatic.

My watch doesn't appear to be on this site at the moment, basically though, they are all waterproof to about 20 metres unless it states otherwise. It doesn't need to be an expensive version aswell, as they are cheap and easy to get hold of.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
the watch that i am looking at getting doesnt seem to be on there either, this is the watch that i want, does it look any good, this watch is also automatic, what does that mean?
leon

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Leon,

Automatic watches are part of weirdness (should have checked your link). They wind themselves - never need winding or a battery provided you wear them every day (they use your body motion to wind them)

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
No I don't dislike them, don't get me wrong (I don't know anything about them). I think a watch should be simple, analogue, luminous and saelf winding - mine is a Seiko kinetic BB gave me. I think a watch is like a knife - a simple elegant design is all you need. I don't like battery watches cos the battery fails when you need it most. I don't like wind up watches cos you foget to wind em when under pressure (e.g. when you have to get up for something important). They have to be luminous so you can peer at them at night (I never take mine off - even when sleeping). So I say buy a good make once and forget it - just keep it on your wrist

See told you it was weird :D

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
yes i also like the fact that you dont have to wind it and it doesnt rely on a batteryi am not going to take it off when i am sleeping either, i dont know if this one is luminous or not
leon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE