list to learn

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
i am now roasting sweet chestnuts on our trangia and in a little while i will be making bannock with blackberrys in
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
lol
heres my list so far
clipper leather sheath - maybe from rapid boy
firesteel
aa maglite

what else???
leon

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Leon,

Get a "Jamie" to find you a reasonable LED torch rather than the Maglite. I do use an LED adapted mag but only cos I had the torch already. Consider an LED head torch instead.

A good tinder pouch is worth having

Can I suggest a good leather possibles pouch? One by someone like Singtek for keeping your firesteel, compass, tinder etc. in.

What about a hat - do you wear them?

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
well i have a pouch that someone on here made for me, and i have another pouch that goes on your belt given to me by someone on here aswell
ohh yes a hat would be good
leon

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
For an ultra light weight mega warm and waterproof hat, get a Lowe Alpine Mountain Cap. They come in Green, which is important, and you can get them for £20 plus postage off ebay.

Torch wise, a Surefire G2 would be a decent introduction into eye searing brightness and they aren't that expensive, although the batteries don't last forever!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Keep an eye out in Lidls' for a cheap axe which may be coming soon. They are on sa;e here in Germany, and it seems that UK gets kit from Lidls here a few weeks after us. It doesn't seem to be a bad looking axe for a budget user or beginner.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i like the look of the Surefire G2 i think i will get that instead of the maglite
leon

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
leon-b said:
i really want an axe but i need to persuade my mum
any ideas :lmao:
leon

Thing with an axe is you need to be shown how to use one safely by an experienced axe user and how to sharpen and care for it too. They can be very dangerous tools to the inexperienced user, have you ever used one before leon?

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
well i made my bannock with blackberrys in and its gorgeuos difinitely will be made again
i,ve had a great day today i went for a walk, collected blackberrys and chestnuts, lit the chimnea using my firesteel and tommorrow were going to rendleshem forest and goin for a bikeride
leon

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Leon,

Just so that you know, a surefire is a fantastic torch. It takes 2, CR123A batteries. They cost £1 each. £2 of batteries last about an hour of use. A good LED torch takes two lithium batteries (AA). Two lithium batteries (AA) cost about the same. Not as bright by a long call - but you will get 100 hours out of one set of batteries.

Don't get me wrong, I have a G2 and and E2 surefire, but for you, with your disposable cash, I think Spamels wrong (sorry mate) and an LED is the way to go - either head torch or pencil type. Surefires are ultimately "tactical" torches designed for massive illumination in short bursts (often attached to a weapon). Not "round the campfire" stuff. Buy a Petzl headtorch for the same cash (really)

Red

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
No, I'd agree with that, for round the campfire, a surefire would probably just get you in trouble as you blind everyone!! An LED headtorch like a Petzl Zipka, or the new even more expensive version, would be a good ivestment for round the campfire use.

On the other hand, for retina frying power, Surefire is pretty damned good!! :D

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Damn straight! I have an E2D that I love - just conscious that, for Leon, the cells are a bit fierce on 14 year old wages!

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i think i will get an AA maglite and then maybe upgrade it to led when i think i need to, i know led's have a longer battery life but the torch wont really get used that much
sooo what else shall i add to the list
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
red suggested i get a good pair of boots what do you reccomend im size 6 and my budget is about £40
ps: i realise there are a few different LED conversions for the maglite what one shall i go for, do you have to have the other tail cap with the switch on the end as i would prefer to have the standard one instead
leon

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
No Leon, you don't need the tail cap. £10 gets a 3 LED set from B&Q although you can probably beat that by shopping around

Red

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
You can buy Maglites with an LED already in them now.

http://www.thetorchshop.co.uk/maglite_LED_mag_led_2aa.html

I'm sure if you shop around you can find a better price - that was the first I found.

BUT

have a quick look at this thread on BB:

Clicky switches and cheap torches!

Basemetal likes a cheap Energizer torch (£8) but if you fancy something a bit flashier, KamSingh recommends the Fenix L1T:
http://fenix-store.com/product_info.php?products_id=70
Changing the $ to £ it's about £24.

I would get the L1T personally, as you can vary how bright it is and use less power.

Of course, a head torch is a good idea too!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE