If I say 'Scouts' what do you think of?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Sams right about modern kids having frighteningly few interests.

I have little contact with such lifeforms but I got the impression that all they want to do is impress other kids and occaisionaly watch TV.

And you think `What about having FUN?`

My critisms or no, Guides was FUN

chrisanson

Nomad
Apr 12, 2006
Dudley
British Red said:
You and I normally connect drstrange, and I think we do on this one. IMHO children of the the 21st century need the chance to be children, under the safe guidance of well meaning experienced adults. I personally don't give a tiny rats a*** if thats through scouts, Boys brigade, cadets, rainbow folk or the pixies that live at the bottom of my garden. What I do know is that people like Graham, Kevin (Fenlander) and Stovie are far, far better men than I am.

I am embarrassed to be seen in the company of such men who give so much to bring on the next generation of Bushcrafters and am saddened to realise I will never be such a man

Red

well said
chris

drstrange

Forager
Jul 9, 2006
London
British Red said:
You and I normally connect drstrange, and I think we do on this one. IMHO children of the the 21st century need the chance to be children, under the safe guidance of well meaning experienced adults. I personally don't give a tiny rats a*** if thats through scouts, Boys brigade, cadets, rainbow folk or the pixies that live at the bottom of my garden. What I do know is that people like Graham, Kevin (Fenlander) and Stovie are far, far better men than I am.

I am embarrassed to be seen in the company of such men who give so much to bring on the next generation of Bushcrafters and am saddened to realise I will never be such a man

Red

Yes, I also am at a loss and wouldn't have the first idea how to manage a bunch of children the way that I have seen some who have an obvious talent for it. They are more important than any movement and deserve to be respected directly, not via an antiquated anachronism which quite frankly doesn't do them justice.

Cap'n Badger

Maker
Jul 18, 2006
Port o' Cardiff
Hmmmm....interestin' Q' .....On the one hand.......Was a good time had by all. (small village...'bout 200 peeps)......Sea scouts most prominent...(bein' that we were based on the estuary o' the towy)...learned knot work, seamanship, nav, flag work, sema, morse.... boat/coracle buildin'....even made a hovercraft!!........on the other.......as DRS said........too much hymns an' flag wavin'.....tends t' shun the 'god fearin' side o' the show after a few years......an' it all got a bit passe' fer me....so just turned t' the dark side...an' became a pirate...arrrrr!!

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
My first reaction to the question was with regard to a memory of being seriously let down by and accused of lying by a leader. Over what?

Nothing more sinister than moving out of the area and leaving my patrol! The leader saw this as a personal attack on the group and, I was informed later claimed that I was lying about leaving and that this was nothing more than my way of worming out of going! At 8 or however old I was then it kind of put me off of this kind of organization.

On a positive note, my boss is a leader and I've helped out with a couple of hikes and I must say I'm impressed by the spirit of the kids, plus it was a good crack!

P

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
I am an explorer scout leader(14-18 year olds), and was a venture scout leader(16-21 year olds) but I was a scout for only about 6 weeks :( , during those 6 weeks I was suspended :eek: .
But I remember the weekend camp I went on :D , I remember church parade, :dunno: vaguely. I remember a visiting ?Canadian? scouter who taught us to use an axe and a knife :You_Rock_ not a bad 6 weeks 25 or more years ago!

OutBackP

Jul 5, 2006
Bridport, Dorset
I wasn't in the scouts but I was in the cubs for a number of years. I can't speak for it now but I had some great times. I became a six leader and was very proud that even though my six got into a lot of mischief we won the trophy for being smart, and having our bit's of "survival stuff" (string, 10p, etc) Okay I did bring in spares for everyone.
We didn't go on many camps but we did learn a lot and play football. I still think that it's a very good group for today's youngsters. At least it gets them out of the house.
Yes all the history behind it may seem a bit old hat. But why would you want to change that. I was very proud to be in a group had all that history. It brings about a bit more respect for our forefathers.
I'm sure that has been some abuse of children in the past by the scouting leaders, as there have been in lots of other groups. The church, youth groups etc. But how many children have been helped. Given more confidence, learnt about nature, first aid, woggles etc.
As a parent I will be encouraging my son to go, and if I had a daughter I would prefer her to join the scouting movement over the girl guides.
So to all the scouting leaders on this forum, I say thank you for keeping the movement going.
The scouting website and handbook are linked to by quite a few members on here. For good reason they are the original bushcraft group.

Sorry for my ranting, but the scout are cool.

Montivagus

Nomad
Sep 7, 2006
gone
Montivagus said:
Free association……Woggles…helicopter

Activities….camping in more or ,more often, less adventurous places.

Other comments….Adults with a dubious interest in children. (You asked so I posted. This view will hopefully be outdated by modern police checks right? No offence meant!)

I really find the middle class censorship side of this site annoying! I mentioned this because all four people in the house at the time mentioned it too when asked the question - one based on a prosecution they remembered from their childhood. It's just a question of statistics. I find it really tiresome that this would have to be explained/apologised for. This is an impression, of course, most probably hanging over from Scouting's former days though if you type "scout leader guilty" into Google the number of returns is depressing at the least;
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,11069-1548234,00.html

As DrS. says scouts needs to evolve probably needs to change its name a la survival-bushcraft and the reins need to be handed directly to the new generation
of Fenlanders (don't know him et al but someone gave them a good review on this thread) because if the jolly-hockey-sticks generation are still running it, it will remain in the dark ages with all that entails.

I don't need to say this is not the biggest part of scouting do I? :cool:

The Joker

Native
Sep 28, 2005
Surrey, Sussex uk
OutBackP said:
I wasn't in the scouts but I was in the cubs for a number of years. I can't speak for it now but I had some great times. I became a six leader and was very proud that even though my six got into a lot of mischief we won the trophy for being smart, and having our bit's of "survival stuff" (string, 10p, etc) Okay I did bring in spares for everyone.
We didn't go on many camps but we did learn a lot and play football. I still think that it's a very good group for today's youngsters. At least it gets them out of the house.
Yes all the history behind it may seem a bit old hat. But why would you want to change that. I was very proud to be in a group had all that history. It brings about a bit more respect for our forefathers.
I'm sure that has been some abuse of children in the past by the scouting leaders, as there have been in lots of other groups. The church, youth groups etc. But how many children have been helped. Given more confidence, learnt about nature, first aid, woggles etc.
As a parent I will be encouraging my son to go, and if I had a daughter I would prefer her to join the scouting movement over the girl guides.
So to all the scouting leaders on this forum, I say thank you for keeping the movement going.
The scouting website and handbook are linked to by quite a few members on here. For good reason they are the original bushcraft group.

Sorry for my ranting, but the scout are cool.

Well said.............................I think youngsters need a little direction. :D

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I think of it sadly as a watered down strayed way to far from its original aim and roots organisation.Ok its moved with the times but like most things in these PC obsessed days it looks to have become wishey washy and not even close to its former greatness.I dont think old Baden Powel would approve some how!

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
scouting for me meant:

bob-a-jobbing
camping
scuba diving
orienteering
backwoodsmanship
windsurfing
getting drunk on the roof of the scout hall
being sick from drinking river water and eating crap sausages (20 scouts out of troop of 25 when doing the southern upland way)

and unfortunately systematic bullying.

drstrange

Forager
Jul 9, 2006
London
Just a couple of excerpts from scout law and pledges:

'A Scout is loyal to the Queen, his/her Country.'

For this reason why I will not be encouraging my children to join

"On my honour I will "Fear God; Honour the Queen; Love the Brotherhood"
(only recently changed to, but still as rediculous) "On my honour I will Love God; Honour the Queen"

This is another reason why I will not be encouraging my children to join

A Scout obeys all orders from his Parents and Officers promptly.

This is another reason why I will not be encouraging my children to join

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
leon-b said:
hiking, camping canoeing
leon

Thats what came to my mind as well. I spent a good 11 years in various forms of Scouts and had a great time doing it for the most part, got the chance to get involved in many activities I wouldn't have done otherwise.

Sure, as I got older I didn't agree with the Queen and God stuff, but In our group this was never really a massive part of it.

Teamworking, leadership, respect, learning the value of things rather than the price, spending time outdoors, learning about the envrironment.

However, I suspect that the nanny state now makes it very difficult for scout groups to do ask much as they did 20 years ago now, in case the little darlings ***** their fingers on nasty knives, etc...

drstrange

Forager
Jul 9, 2006
London
dommyracer said:
Thats what came to my mind as well. I spent a good 11 years in various forms of Scouts and had a great time doing it for the most part, got the chance to get involved in many activities I wouldn't have done otherwise.

Sure, as I got older I didn't agree with the Queen and God stuff, but In our group this was never really a massive part of it.

Maybe not massive, but , I don't know about you, but oaths are oaths and pledges are serious, thats why we say them when we get married or go to court.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE