Favourite bit of kit

• Thread starter Deleted member 4605
  • Start date
  • Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
D

Deleted member 4605

I thought it would be interesting to see what everyone's most prized possesion is. First some rules:
  1. You are only allowed to mention one (count 'em, one) item
  2. You must be specific - no entries saying "my knife". We want details damn it! Who? What? Where? How much?
  3. No cheating at rule 1 but saying something that has multiple items (like a survival kit) unless your talking about the item as a whole
  4. The item must be related to bushcraft (and all that it entails) in some way
  5. If the item has a story, tell it
That's enough rules. For now. :)

Since this is my post, I'll go first...

It was nigh on impossible to choose one item, but I'll go for my (proper)Trangia stove. I believe it is the 27. I picked it up at a car boot sale for £10 (complete with kettle and meths) and the night I got it I went out into the garden to make myself a brew. I sat and star gazed whilst it boiled. It seen lots of abuse since then, but it is still going (even with a hole in the burner lid) and normally goes in my pack if I'm going anywhere for more than a few hours.

Right, who's next?

Jon Mawer

Forager
May 2, 2006
Taunton, Somerset
Likewise, it was hard, I have so much outdoor gear and knives, but I think it'll have to be my opinel no.8 pocket knife. I bought in france about 3 years ago, in a hyper market (can you believe it, they sell decent knives in supermarkets?), and it has never let me down. I think I paid about £4 for it. I've used it,and abused it, but it's still going very strong. It is stained with mud and sweat and has a beautiful colour to it, and the carbon blade. I have used it to skin animals, whittle spoons and shave feather sticks, and its simpled esign has never let me down. It holds a stunning edge, and if I had to choose one of my working locking knives (granted, I own very few), it would be this one, every time. I own more expensive, newer knives like my Leatherman Wave, but this comes out top every time. Fashion is the now, style lasts forever, true words indeed for this elegant workhorse.

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
Theoben Rapid Super 7, i will never sell it.

431_3174_1.jpg

Must have it 9 or 10 years now and it's shooting as good as ever.
Rain, mud, snow, you name it have been chucked at it and it just keeps on dropping bunnies all day long.
I admit that when i bought it i was afraid to take it over the fields because it cost what seemed like a small fortune back then but once i started hunting with it i never looked back.
Best airgun tool ever built bar none IMO.

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
I'd have to say my Norlund 'Voyageur' model Hudson Bay style hatchet.

It's mostly replaced my larger (7" - 11" blade) knives as my primary, 'big' blade for the wilderness.

There's other gear I value and use a lot, but the Norlund would be, by far, the hardest to replace and it's become one of the tools I use the most.

It's the hatchet in the picture below. It has a 3" bit and the 5" long head weighs 14oz (.424 kg). I put on a new hickory handle and the overall length of the hatchet is 13-1/2" (343mm) long.

I reprofiled the bit and not only does it chop well, but it stays sharp enough to use as an ulu knife. The Hudson Bay style head facillitates the use of this hatchet as an ulu. To demonstrate how well this hatchet works in such a role I've made dinner on several occasions using just the hatchet as the knife for cutting meat, slicing potatoes, etc.

bushcraftcombo.jpg

B

bluemountaingunworks

I think that my axe, as well, is my favorite and most used item. It is a cheap, $16, Hudson Bay style I picked from Bailey's Logging Supply here in the U.S. It's a simple, cast head on 20" hickory handle. Although cheap, it's handled alot of abuse! I use it to pound trap stakes, make cubbies, open-up beaver dams, check water depth in streams, brace myself when climbing steep slopes, clear downed trees off of ATV trails, cut firewood at camp, and split kindling at home. The steel sharpens easily and holds a decent edge. It pretty much goes where I go when out and about in the woods. If I'm not toting a gun, the axe is in my hand. God Bless! Jerry

Big Bad Stu

Nomad
Jul 18, 2006
Shropshire
My favourite is my Fallkniven F1. When I bought it I specified the black blade option. I was a little apprehensive about the handle but when it arrived I found it fitted my hand perfectly. I have never had a problem with blisters etc. during long use in often wet conditions. I love it because the design is so solid which gives the tool the feeling of come what may you can rely on it to perform well and to keep coming back for more. The knife was made even more special by the addition of a custom sheath from Rapidboy (Rapidboy :You_Rock_ ). When I carry the knife on my belt I feel that I am ready for just about anything the world throws at me!

Stewey. :D

Tutchi

Forager
Nov 15, 2005
Scotland
Hi
bought way back in the late sixties. Payed the huge sum of £8.50 for it and it used to travel everywhere when we had the VW Camper. It is still in good nick. Only differences to the modern one was the corks have plastic covers on them like the thermos flasks had. There is also a flask which fits inside the kettle and holds approx a litre of water which was very handy for topping up.

Tutchi
:cool:

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
rapidboy said:
Theoben Rapid Super 7, i will never sell it.

431_3174_1.jpg

Must have it 9 or 10 years now and it's shooting as good as ever.
Rain, mud, snow, you name it have been chucked at it and it just keeps on dropping bunnies all day long.
I admit that when i bought it i was afraid to take it over the fields because it cost what seemed like a small fortune back then but once i started hunting with it i never looked back.
Best airgun tool ever built bar none IMO.

Yee Gods, RB, you must me in to stooting the nuts off a gnat at 3000 meters with a scope like that. :p

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
Chopper said:
Yee Gods, RB, you must me in to stooting the nuts off a gnat at 3000 meters with a scope like that. :p

It's been boosted by Dick Thomas from Premier Reticules in the states to 20 - 50 X 50.
I keep it at 50 for all my shot's and standers are pretty tricky :lmao:

IamSam

May 6, 2006
Lancaster
My Montane Extreme Smock. Got this as a birthday present a few weeks ago and its fab, super comfortable and toasty. looking forward to the cold snap that has been forcast so that I can realy put it to proper use. Ive been testing it by standing on the roof but think the neigbours are starting to worry as is my better half.
Really starting to worry about my self these days :D :D

I highly recomend this shirt tried the Buffalo special Six first but it just wasn't as comfortable a fit for me and was a bit more expensive plus no hood.

Agile

Forager
Dec 27, 2006
Bournemouth, Dorset
My Ray Mears Bushcraft book - as they say knowledge is power, and with that book my knowledge has increased no end!! For those who have the knowledge, you are indeed lucky :)

Agile

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I know "my knife" would be a bit an obvious one but i cant imagine leaving for a bit of woods time without it :eek:

So yep its my 3 year old battered but loved helle Futura. Tried to replace it recently with a much more expensive shiney jobby but i just couldnt leave her at home whilst out so the new one had to go :eek:

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Hmmm, yeah a hard one this but i think ill go for one of my new pieces of kit. A Snowsled Ventile smock. Only had it since the start of December but it has already proved itself. Never had a jacket that performs to its hype before this one.

Don Redondo

Forager
Jan 4, 2006
NW Wales
Billingham canvas and leather fishing / game bag.

goes everywhere with me as my shoulder bag. Will probably need replacing in the next couple of years, don't know where I'll get one from, have'nt seen too many on line.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE