Favourite bit of kit

• Thread starter Deleted member 4605
  • Start date
  • Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

walker

Oct 27, 2006
devon
well i have to say its my swiss army trianga cooker painted a long time ago with black bbq paint and has lasted very well also my 1050's amry pocket knife

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I'm too shallow: my favourite is normally what I bought most recently.
My most appreciated is my Thermarest (although that probably doesn't count as Bushcraft kit).

kb31

Forager
Jun 24, 2006
by the lakes
after years of trying to get one of them survival tin flint n steels :banghead:
to work with more than cotten wool i would pick my fire steel :D

My prized possesion is woul be my Ron Post drop point knife.
Its a 4. 5" blade, with a Cocabola Handle. Blade is made of ATS-34 steel.
drop%20pt.%20sk..jpg

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
My Sasskit Ventile smock. Made as one of three when they first bought in half a roll of ventile. I know Spacemonkey had one of the orhers and someone here had the third. Cost a bargain £130. Its my everyday wear, bush wear and I just live out of it - fantastic coat.

Red

robadams

Forager
Aug 19, 2004
Hampshire
My rucksack.
Had loads over the years but always went back to my Berghaus Cyclops Crusader in DPM. It was comfortable with the side pockets on or off and soooo versatile. Always preferred it over my issued bergen.
I sold it last month on ebay because I am getting rid of all my DPM and going green.
Big mistake. Now I have to get a new one.

Rob

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
My Randall #3 - 6" knife, antler handle,bought it as a teenager, paid about $200.00 cdn. Has skinned a pile of critters, shaped wood utensiles and such, just great!

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
I would have said my sleeping bag, but can't remeber the make. (Its under our bed and SWMBO is fast asleep so I don't dare move her)

I ought to say my Asthma inhaler as life can be miserable without it (Ventolin 10mg Salbutamol per actuation)

But I am going to say my LED converted Minimaglite. It has a story to tell.

I used to have a nice little blue one that went everywhere with me and was completely bashed up but still fine. One year SWMBO bought me a "replacment" :eek: silver one, however two years ago I was at scout camp, and swaped bits round to make two unique silver and blue ones. I lent the one with the blue end, silver middle and blue top to my son, who hung it round his neck. Unfortunatley it came unscrewed so all he had left was the blue end, I was gutted. :(

I put the bits away for a year, I couldn't bear to look at it but somebody mentioned Nite Ize LED kits so I bought that and fitted it to whats left, so now I have one with a blue body, blue end, silver top and LED beam that works all weekend from rechargeable batteries. Tottaly unique to me :)

Yep that goes everywhere with me now :)

(Even though I have got a Goup Buy Petzl Myo that is blooming fantastic)

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Hmmm, difficult, several things are bobbing about. My opinel, they are just great. My zipka torch, goes everywhere and has come in useful so often.My swedish army trangia, really getting my moneys worth from it!

But I suppose my favourite piece of kit, and it is sort of bushcraft kit, is my car!
Its a L/R Disco, I have had it a few months its about ten years old and i love it. It is the first car I have ever owned that I went out to look specifically for what I ended up buying, its usually an auction and whatever I can get with what I have. I love driving it, I want to get offroad more but time as ever is the problem!
I know some will say its not really bushcraft kit, but it is the most practical car for me and it gives me a chance to get out to the woods, nowhere to walk to from here, and public transport is useless. So as it gets me out, is used everyday, and I like using it I will vote for my disco!

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
Tutchi said:
Hi
bought way back in the late sixties. Payed the huge sum of £8.50 for it and it used to travel everywhere when we had the VW Camper. It is still in good nick. Only differences to the modern one was the corks have plastic covers on them like the thermos flasks had. There is also a flask which fits inside the kettle and holds approx a litre of water which was very handy for topping up.

Tutchi
:cool:

thats long ago when a pond was a pound ... also the flask inside - are you sure it´s a Kelly? The only volcano kettle coming with that I´ve heard about are made by Marris (Sirram).

Of course a volcano kettle (the 1pt. Kelly ) is my No. 1 bit of kit. With some modifikations it´s no big deal to prepare complete meals with it - not in it :cool: .

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
Hmmm, tricky... There's my SAK, or my platypus, but the one thing that gives me most pleasure when out and about is the Trangia.

Food is so blimmin essential, but more importantly so are cups of tea so the kettle bit is a must. To be able to come back from a long walk then be able to quickly make a recuperative cup of tea is so damn great. And the smell of the burning meths first thing in the morning once you've emerged from your tent, with the great views over the loch and the promise of a nice, hot cup of tea very soon... fantastic.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
My red/green/blue/etc checked Swanndri shirt.
The wife bought me it via ebay as a present for a lot less than new.

garbo

Tenderfoot
Jul 16, 2006
uk
my machette
After trying an assortment of styles I have settled on a Martindale no 2 , dont know if its a big knife or what, but with a bit of re shaping and tempering and stuff it beats the tramontina (just) and the rest hands down Its light enough to carry unlike a billhook yet heavy enough to carve well
Its maybe a luxury not essentiol to bushcraft and I never realy got on with axes and hatchets anyway.
Garry

michiel

Settler
Jun 19, 2006
Belgium - Herentals
My favourite bit of kit is my BRKT Snowy River. It's a great allround knife and has never let me down. It's got a great profile, good edge retention and it's very light.

Michiel

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE