Heads up - VAT and fees on second hand tools from Republic of Ireland

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Just had to swallow a bitter and unexpected pill. £20.50 VAT and £8 handling on a £105 second hand purchase sent from the Republic of Ireland. I suppose I should have known, but I have never bought second hand from outside the UK before and I wasn't paying attention to where the sale was coming from. The item was in new condition and had a bit of a discount compared to buying new, but with the addition of VAT and handling it cost me just £3 less than new. No winner other than HMRC.

Caveat Emptor.

• Sad
Reactions: Toddy and Broch

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Annoying.

Years ago I remember discovering how much cheaper it was to buy knives from US websites. Until HMRC got hold of them and either hammered the tax on, or knives like the Spyderco Poliwog were deemed gravity knives and binned at customs.

Good call though Chris, and doubly unfair as the VAT has probably already been paid once.

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
Just had to swallow a bitter and unexpected pill. £20.50 VAT and £8 handling on a £105 second hand purchase sent from the Republic of Ireland. I suppose I should have known, but I have never bought second hand from outside the UK before and I wasn't paying attention to where the sale was coming from. The item was in new condition and had a bit of a discount compared to buying new, but with the addition of VAT and handling it cost me just £3 less than new. No winner other than HMRC.

Caveat Emptor.
yes the same the other way as well There is no vat on purchases under £50 coming from the UK though. If you see something you want again you can get it sent to me and I;ll post it in NI. I live very near the border x

Last edited:
Reactions: TeeDee and Toddy

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell

Caveat Emptor.
I think my analysis below will explain what happened and what to avoid in future. x

Last edited:

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
Read the GOV page above. (2 minute read) Here's what I think has happened. The £135 threshold only stands if vat is paid by the seller. If the seller didnt pay the VAT in Ireland the revenue in the UK can collect it. No one even knows you have to pay vat on second hand goods but either way one of you is going to have to pay. However if the goods are new then the seller will include the vat in the price and you cant be made to pay twice if you are under the £135 limit. Anything over £135 and they can rinse you both ends.
I order new stuff from USA where I pay the vat there. I never put in an order above £135.
Its a disgusting shameful racket. If we did that we'd go to prison for theft. x

Last edited:

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
Annoying.

Years ago I remember discovering how much cheaper it was to buy knives from US websites. Until HMRC got hold of them and either hammered the tax on, or knives like the Spyderco Poliwog were deemed gravity knives and binned at customs.

Good call though Chris, and doubly unfair as the VAT has probably already been paid once.
The Vat has NOT already been paid once. Read my other post. I explain what has happened. Its criminal x

Last edited:

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell

Caveat Emptor.
I would put in for a refund. the form link is on the GOV page I posted. see what happens. x

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE