ESS Tactical Thermal Goggles any good?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
Ray Mears is selling ESS Tactical Thermal Goggles on his website ( here) and since I'll be ordering some other stuff (Thermos) and don't have any ski goggles yet, I'm considering a buy... (to use either while skiing or while hiking/climbing in snowstorms)

But are they any good? Anyone had any experience with them? They are recommended for Woodlore's Arctic course so maybe someone saw them out there?
Or would I be better off getting over to a local ski shop and try some normal ski goggles (with tainted glass)?

Thanks in advance!
Lasse

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
What is the difference compared to ordinary ski goggles?? :confused: Can't see how they differ from the specs, except for the word tactical, which is a bit confusing, what exactly is it about them that makes them tactical? The colour?

High price for a pair of goggles IMHO, I've certainly managed fine with ordinary ones.

Dec 15, 2008
Santa Fe NM
ESS makes a very high quality product, but I'm not sure why Mears is selling them.

ESS sells a lot of goggles (including these ones) for military applications. The lenses in those goggles are designed to protect the wearer's eyes from things like shrapnel. When they test these things, they basically fire a shotgun at them from about 10 meters away. If the lenses hold up, they pass.

Their website explains in a little more detail: http://www.esseyepro.com/why_ess.html

The goggles are well made, but they may be overkill for your needs.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
What is the difference compared to ordinary ski goggles?? :confused: Can't see how they differ from the specs, except for the word tactical, which is a bit confusing, what exactly is it about them that makes them tactical? The colour?

High price for a pair of goggles IMHO, I've certainly managed fine with ordinary ones.

The difference is you add the word Tactical and charge £42 for them :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

The Thermos though is part of the Thermax range, just about the best flask you can get and Ray's price is competative I think.

Phil6201

Nov 16, 2008
New Zealand
These are very good goggles, they have thermal (ie 'double glazed') lenses that stop them fogging up.

I don't know what they normally retail for in the UK, but that price seems a bit high. Even from the rip off merchants that sell them here in NZ I paid about 20% less than this.

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
Thanks for the replies guys!
I won't be needing any shotgun proof goggles any time soon (I hope) so I'll keep the money in my pocket this time...

Cheers,
Lasse

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE