Disability and behavior of members

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Desperately trying to remember the source, but shaking hands with someone outside a first meeting is considered bad form in high etiquette circles. Dates back to a king who was most annoyed at someone proffering a hand on a second meeting. The royal alluded to the fact that as a handshake was a symbol of trust, that it meant that the person "had lost trust in his Monarch" since the last meeting. So unless you're in the apron and rolled up trouser brigade one handshake is enough.
So saying a good friend and I always do a combo hug / handshake when-ever we meet / part. This may be down to a joint belief in reincarnation and the fact that we've been around a lot together.
GB.

smoggy

Forager
Mar 24, 2009
North East England
The handshake dates back to at least the middle ages and demonstrates that you do not hold a weapon (usually the sword or knife was held in the right hand and the shield in tother) when meeting someone and therefore they were safe from being attacked, be it a first meeting or otherwise......As far as I know it is not usual to shake hands with a monarch, but somehow I don't expect to be needing to know that .....LOL

Smoggy.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
A lot of the menfolks I know greet their friends with the full forearm grip. It's especially noticeable amongst, but not confined to, the re-enactors and the eco warrior types.

cheers,
Toddy

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
When I got my Depression under control I lost not only the crushing lows but also the soaring highs!
I miss the highs........but not the lows!

Moff8

Forager
Jul 19, 2004
Glasgow
I got a score of 30 - so I would be considered borderline AS if it had been invented when I was younger, back then I was just considered 'shy'. :eek:
My son is being watched at school because he is borderline too.

I hate labels. Some people struggle with English, others Maths, for me it is certain social situations. Different strokes for different folks.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
You didnt do anything to offend anyone Cobweb :) certainly not me anyhow.
As for aspergers, Im always suspicious any girls who are into bushcraft and technical things such as cameras often have asperger traits. We are usually described as tomboys in childhood and make friends more easy with boys because the social rituals of other girls are too confusing, not many normal gals hiding in the woods!!. asperger girls are not afraid to persue their interest even though it usually falls outside the range of what other girls like.
There is an online asperger `test` at this site
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/9.12/aqtest.html
but I don't like it, its very stereotypical and male bias (girls express the syndrome differently)
its questions arent specific enough either, such as "do you prefer to go to them cinema or library?" well that depends what film is showing and what library!
I’ve taken this test 5 times since it was posted and the median of the results is 41.2. I guess that tell me a lot about the aim of the person who devised the test.:cool: :rolleyes:

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I got 14 on the test. One question was easy to answer, anybody that knows me would probably agree!

The question was: When I talk, it isn't always easy for others to get a word in edgewise.

:D

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I too live in a wee village, Blackford - just outside Auchterarder. I no longer work in the village due to evil bosses and so have to commute. Ever morning there's the dog run ( sometimes two ) where the dog mafia meet and greet each other on their rounds - though sometimes taking different routes due to pups not liking each other. Then as a drive out of the village I've invariably got one hand to change gear and steer as the other is utilised waving to folk... some I've never formally met, but we have to wave all the same. Walking down the street is even more time consuming as there'll at least be a hello or other greeting that helps bind us in that social glue of village life. There is the odd "enigmatic" character that one know's by sight but never get to either meet properly or know much about, but there's always a hello even across the road. During some of the snowstorms that cut off the village I used to be out in the landrover, dragging folk out and helping those in out lying houses get about whilst the local tractor brigade did the same and battled to get things moving again at their own personal cost. I love it.
My townie freinds find it funny that we're constantly greeting and waving to each other.
My ex used to get embarrassed when I'd wave to the odd person I didn't know in areas we'd never been too... It's a form of amusement to wave at strangers in cars and then have them wondering all day " who was that?" :lmao: It is funny... well to me.
Another trick which with age I no longer condone was a thing that started amongst friends in Dundee ( well they are starved of fun there) where say a bloke would walk past a couple in the street, and "notice" the girl, say something like " Wow haven't seen you in ages!" then pretend to suddenly see the partner, pretend to look flustered and stammer some apology and head off in the opposite direction, leaving a very confused couple. We stopped after assuming that it probably caused a fair few arguments. But to the onlookers it was funny at the time.
TTFN
GB

LazySod

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 18, 2007
Oldham
My first post in yonks....

Linz, i've sat by your side staring into campfires for many an hour and not known a thing about any disability you had. You've told me of Phil and his job probs, but nothing of you're own probs.

At this stage i must point out that i can in no way type (or draw) as elequently as Linz.

I'd just like to ask the rest of the forum to define NORMAL.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I got a score of 30 - so I would be considered borderline AS if it had been invented when I was younger, back then I was just considered 'shy'. :eek:
My son is being watched at school because he is borderline too.

I hate labels. Some people struggle with English, others Maths, for me it is certain social situations. Different strokes for different folks.

The best thing that happened to my eldest son was being "LABELED".Untill he was was had no help with his problems,we recieved no treatment or advice,and were at our wits end .One doctor said he was autistic and when we went back to the various agencies who were dealing with us ,you wouldn't believe how helpful they were and how much help and support we now get.When I asked why things had changed ,I was told that untill he had a diagnosis and a "LABEL" there was no help available because he was considered NORMAL
Sometimes a label is a great help.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
I scored 11, yet I'm not at all relaxed in strange social settings.

Very wide grey area this social interaction thing.

Labels are good IF they are used positively.

My youngest has dyslexia and suffered badly at school in Norfolk because dyslexia didn't exist in Norfolk until after she left school.:(

Using labels to stigmatise and belittle is still a major problem today. I like to think that as more and more of us get "labelled" it will stop being an issue.

xylaria

For disability that isn't visible a diagnosis can be very helpful. When i did the fungi talk at bushmoot a few years ago, we came across a new fungi called agaricus praeoclaresquamosus. It would take me a few minutes to able to work out how to say preaoclaresquamosus, i just said " look I am dyslexic, has anyone studied Latin and can read this because I can't". Phil [TMKTC] got the given the field guide and said it. The label stopped me looking completely thick, but then i have come across trained teachers who don't believe it exists and its an excuse for being academically incapable. Or worse see the label and stick in the individual in a metaphorical box presuming what you and can't do.

You can build a wheelchair ramp more easily than you change an attitude problem. Attitudes should still DDA compliant though by law.

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I have been lurking on this forum for a while but this particular thread was the last straw and I have signed up.

You have to realise that us Aspergenim are not easily assuaged.

I am crude, rude, bad, mad, and perhaps a little dangerous to know, and my friends would not have me any other way.

One thing is for sure, nobody who has ever met me forgets me in a hurry.

Nah, don't reckon I am up to any of these bushmoots yet, heck I am a rank amateur and outsider, even traded my Landie in for a Pajero, and those who understand Spanish know what that means :(

Well I am at least something of a Caveman, in that my housing association until recently had no idea that they owned any properties with an open hearth. The promptly banned me from lighting fired.

Not that I am all that clever mind, can light a fire without match or lighter, but still technologicially dependent on a firesteel.

As number 6 was wont to say "be seeing you" :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE