corona virus projects any one?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I've got laundry up the whazoo and a stack of dirty pots in the kitchen.
What I really need to do is work on a dozen partially completed wood carvings.
Nothing new.
I have a set of 5 complex wooden puzzles to tackle.
Don't know where to begin.
Maybe, I'll get dressed first.

Reactions: Nomad64 and Broch

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
I am inventing things for my Scout troop to do as individuals. We're looking at badges that can be completed at home and we're going to have a camp by each Scout spending the night in the garden in a tent or bivouac then posting to our Facebook page.
I'm posting links to YouTube videos which offer bushcrafty projects - personal favourite is to carve 10 notches in 10 minutes following Mors Kochanski's lead.
If anyone has ideas to add, they'd be gratefully received.
ATB

Reactions: ScottE

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
well I successfully made my first piece of felt. Its turned out around 1/2 inch thick. Not a huge piece yet, but enough to make aframe drum beater
The wool combs worked great although they need to be ultra sharper pin points I think. I was amazed at the amount of grunge and lanolin that is washed out during the process. I also did a few "touch ups" using felting needles. Working with wool fibre is so QUIET and CALMING! I'll definitely be doing more in the future..

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Well, my make-time has been cancelled :(

The missus realised we weren't going to be away in May and June as we normally are so we may as well re-instate the veg patch. Bearing in mind the site hasn't been turned over in five years it's a bit of an undertaking.

• Haha
Reactions: jasonb and Wayland

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The long, dark polar night. In Dawson City, YT, that means 6 weeks long.
At each end, you can expect day lengths stretching into minutes.

Imagine living in an igloolik (snow house). The kudlik is lit for heat and light.
Still popular, one good way to pass some family time is in doing string games.
I used to do some with my kids.
Someplace, I watched Inuit do a 2-person string game. It came to an end.
At first, I couldn't see what they did. Then, I realized it must be a mammoth.
How ancient is that?

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
The long, dark polar night. In Dawson City, YT, that means 6 weeks long.
At each end, you can expect day lengths stretching into minutes.

Imagine living in an igloolik (snow house). The kudlik is lit for heat and light.
Still popular, one good way to pass some family time is in doing string games.
I used to do some with my kids.
Someplace, I watched Inuit do a 2-person string game. It came to an end.
At first, I couldn't see what they did. Then, I realized it must be a mammoth.
How ancient is that?

Sounds amazing. Even better with photos.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Beowulf-Cover-Dragons-and-Nicors.jpg

OK, design work done, mixture of dragons, serpents and nicors.

Now the real work begins, transferring the design onto the metal and chasing it out.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I'm currently stuck on the rig. Due to get ashore on the 2nd of April. This may be brought forward or pushed back depending how things go in the next week or so.
I'm not sure what will happen if the country goes on full lock down before I get ashore. :confused:

Assuming I get ashore ok then I'll be doing a list of jobs in the house and the workshop depending on whether B&Q is open or not.
I've a load of projects in the workshop to get done and all the materials to do them so just need to get cracking really.

All the best
Andy

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Wayland: What have you got for sheet metal? Copper, maybe? I'd sure love to be a fly on the wall to watch you do this.

TeeDee: I've learned my lesson well. I have about 65 lbs Brazilian soapstone outside my back door.
One piece is less than 40 lbs.
My intent is to carve a functional kudlik (quilliq). BUT, not in the house. Nope, not never again.
There's no chips to sweep up, just slippery stone dust. That dust goes everywhere, even with hand tools.
So, I really need to wait for somewhat warmer weather. Not rising above +5C any of these days.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I'm using a sheet of brass which is subbing for bronze.

Archaeologists tend to be cagey about the transition between brass and bronze anyway, usually just defining it as "copper based alloy".

I'm intending to gold plate it before final construction so that it stays bright and contrasts nicely with the silver and bronze fittings.

Last edited:
Reactions: Robson Valley

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
How about making a willow whistle and sending the videos of it plying to you?

Nice idea. I'll keep it in mind. The issue for the kids may be finding willow so I'm going to source some from the woods then post information and begin from there.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Wayland: What have you got for sheet metal? Copper, maybe? I'd sure love to be a fly on the wall to watch you do this. <Snip

Metal-Workbench-800.jpg

I don't do videos but here is a picture of my bench, with work in progress.

I usually do this kind of work on living history displays so the bench is a bit different but the tools are essentially the same.

Most of the work is done with three small chisels, each half the length of the next one. The hammer on the right applies a gentle tap and you move the chisel along the line. Simple but requires careful attention.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE