corona virus projects any one?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
< Puts sentimental hat on , takes it off - see's how dusty it is... blows as much dust as one can , then replaces Hat on head >

In these times where most likely the days of lock down and full self isolation ( possibly enforced ) are on the cusp of the next morning how about....

Write that letter... write that letter to the person you've maybe somehow 'missed' to connect with last year , write that letter to the person who was your best friend at school that you've wondered what ever happened to.... write that letter to your mum, dad, sister, brother, aunt , cousin, …. write that letter to your spouse , even if they are there next to you... tell them everything on your mind, the memories, the things you want to do , say how you cherish or miss them....

Writing a letter maybe an awfully old fashioned concept in the present days of e-mail , skype , facebook , facetime, slack , WhatsApp etc etc… Writing a letter IS old fashioned and it is laborious , and I think that is a GOOD thing... it shows you've made the time to sit down , make the time , contemplate what you want to say, and then record it all in your own fair hand - or of its like mine , a terrible style of handwriting akin to an ink drenched spider break dancing across a page....

So... the time you have now , put it to good use... A letter IS the perfect gift at this time. Quaint maybe , but physical and tangible and always well received...

So , go.

Write that letter.....

< Takes off Hat , sticks it back in the even dustier box , and toe punts it back into the under-stairs cupboard where it tends to live. Blushes a tad at what he's just written. >

Reactions: JFW

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Things at school wind up on Friday and we are trying to get ourselves sorted with a thing called 'Firefly' to get work/projects out to the children - and back, hopefully!. Sadly, I'm not tech.-minded and, with no actual pupils to teach, feel pretty redundant. Maybe this is the opportunity to bow out gracefully... Still, along with my struggle to master technology, I can at least work on the birthday present I'm making for my stepmother and plan what I'm going to do once the miasma of panic has lifted.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I wrote my mum a mother's day card, then once it was in its envelope and ready to go, I ironed the whole thing with a hot clothes iron. They say that temperatures around 60deg kill the virus.

I have been thinking about contacting people I haven't been in contact with. However, finding time is being difficult.

Reactions: Neanderthal

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I wrote my mum a mother's day card, then once it was in its envelope and ready to go, I ironed the whole thing with a hot clothes iron. They say that temperatures around 60deg kill the virus.

I have been thinking about contacting people I haven't been in contact with. However, finding time is being difficult.

Yep, but after you iron it you pick it up again, take it to the postbox where it will be picked up by a postman, then on to a sorting office (which is probably automated but still got lots of letters from all over the place going through it), then to another postman and finally into your mother's hands. I think the probability of transferring the virus this way is very low - but still possible so the ironing doesn't achieve anything I'm afraid.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
The ironing was for the contents, not the envelope. The risk is low, but following from the earlier post suggesting people write letters, then concern that the letter you have spent X hours breathing over and handling could carry the virus, nicely wrapped up in a protective envelope. It is perfectly possible to wipe down the outside of packages or letters with disinfectant upon arrival, but rather less practical for that to be done with the letter inside. Ironing by the sender offers a solution to this, should anyone be concerned.

TLM.
Sometimes there can be such a thing as too much pedantry. Especially when taking issue with language in very wide usage.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
TLM.
Sometimes there can be such a thing as too much pedantry. Especially when taking issue with language in very wide usage.
Somewhat guilty as charged. I guess it was a reaction on the other thread where some stated "I take your point that most respirators are not biologically sealed, but a few drops of chlorine would cut down on any contamination of the filter meduim, otherwise they do act as a nice warm moist breeding ground." A warm moist filter does not act as a breeding ground for a virus. According to some information chlorine bleaches do break it apart though.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
You cannot kill something that is not alive. Think of it as a biological senseless robot that can be solved or destroyed but not killed.

Unfortunately, WHO used the term "kill" in their analysis of the susceptibility of SARS to heat and chemicals :( - so, maybe you can forgive us the colloquialism.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
It is unfortunate causing people to think it is alive. Soldiers kill very inanimate things all the time but there a chance for total misunderstanding is probably less because the fog of war creates a total FUBAR environment anyway.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Harbardr-Casket-Carving-in-progress-800.jpg

A fair bit still to do but nearer to finished than started now I reckon.

All properly pegged with oak pins, the ironwork is riveted on and I'm starting to get my head back to where it needs to be for carving the details.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
That's looking great Gary.

I've made progress with my shavehorse but it's not as pretty as your cask :)

I'll post some photos later.

I'm really looking forward to seeing those; a shavehorse is also on my 'to make' list! Any clues or hints about how best to go about it would be really appreciated!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I've taken the economical and simple approach to killing everything on every surface, even HIV.
1 part bleach and 9 parts water = 10% bleach. Standard biology/microbiology lab bench wipe down.
We did all the bench tops every 3+ hours with more than 1,000 student contact hours per week.
Cleaner than the insides of anybody's kitchen. Fact of science.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE