corona virus projects any one?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
What might any members be doing as a result of conoravirus lockdowns/self isolation etc to possibly spend the time productively or try summat new?
Personally I just bought a sheep fleece, intending to wash it and make some felt and thread. I just made 42 steel teeth for a pair of wool combs

Practicing new things
8ffb83f56a50da983e70e7d66227892d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've got willow to use up, so basketry perhaps. Certainly some of the tension trays with the little scrappy bits that I pruned from the stools.

I've also got a pile of quilt tops to be finished for Linus and three full sized ones too. Really should get on with those.

I need to redd out the shed that's full of a lot of my bushcrafty stuff and have a clear out. Might be a good time for that if we get a couple of dry days.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I am working from home instead and got plenty of normal stuff that needs doing, so I don't have any extra time, but I'm doing a distance course in nålbindning so any extra time is useful for that. :)

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
What might any members be doing as a result of conoravirus lockdowns/self isolation etc to possibly spend the time productively or try summat new?
Personally I just bought a sheep fleece, intending to wash it and make some felt and thread. I just made 42 steel teeth for a pair of wool combs
Cool! Please share your progress! I've got fleeces that I mean to do the same with, but it's slow going so would love some inspiration.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset

Well, I don't need any more arrows, but I could get started back into bowyery in the enforced virus-pause between now and when, if ever, it stops raining here. If it stops raining for more than a couple of days or so I will be under some less-than-subtle influence to get out and do the garden :). I tried self-isolating on Friday at my local fishery, but despite a good forecast it just hosed it down all day, and with a breeze making things colder than I was hoping for, so I quit after a few hours. I've gone back to making a few floats instead.

As an aside, my missus likes to make felted wool pictures, and has used up some of the Jacob's sheep fleece she picked up last summer. Very nice too. She uses a pair of dog's grooming brushes to card the washed wool. They were a bargain at Wilko's.

Cheers, Bob

Reactions: Toddy

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Spring clean the house
Sort and plant the veg raised beds
Reading and learning about herbal medicine
Knitting a new jumper
Cooking outdoors when the weather is fine
Catching up with people by phone
Writing letters and posting them at night when no one is around... got £5 worth of stamps a couple of weeks ago.
Doing repair jobs around the house and things like patching jeans etc.
In fact everything I've been procrastinating about for a while
Plenty of time to do it all now with no excuses!

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Stacks of things to do! I'm lucky, I can get down to the wood and be down there all day without seeing anyone. We're pretty much self-isolated most of the time anyway so it's not really new for us.

I've got loads of leather in to get on with leathermaking, plenty of wood cut for carving and green woodworking. I've started building a shave horse. I've got about four or five pieces of artwork started that I really should put some effort into, I've got steel blanks to make some blades, I've got a few ash staves cut to make a couple of bows, and, as if I hadn't enough to do, I've started rebuilding my Westfield with a view to getting it on the road in the next couple of months.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Not much will change around here, we're fairly rural and self sufficient. Eldest might come back form Uni so it'll be full house with 7 of us again. Working on Bushcraft/BushMoots, building an extension and all that stuff will all stay the same...
If I did have a project though I think it would be some carving, maybe do some dutch oven cooking and the like...

Code 4

Tenderfoot
Feb 25, 2020
Shrewsbury
I announced today that we will isolate ourselves from other humans. Wife replied ''so nothing has changed''.
The postman comes most days and I think that is enough visitors.
Started fencing off some new planted trees before we get sheep on. Aching now after banging away on a post knocker all morning.
My sons at Uni and sadly I asked him not to come home at Easter.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I am still going to work...The site is due for closure in August and they have been holding redundancies for months, so even in the "crowded" part of the office we are 5-6 feet apart with walls of monitors between us. If we are sent home, we will be working form home, so the time for doing the long list of projects I have will be no different, probably even less if I spend time trying to help my elderly friends, family and neighbours with shopping runs.

• When the weather warms I have two or three DIY Silpoly tarps to seam seal and attach mid-panel pull outs to.
  • Got to sew various pocket accessories to go with my as yet un-tried Dutchware Chameleon hammock.
  • Really want to figure out cutting dovetails and make up some wooden keepsake boxes. Have plans for some as gifts...got the wood and tools, but not yet the skills and practice.
  • Knife finishing, must have about 10 blades that need handles and several finished knives that need re-finishing to sell on.
  • Get the CNC router back working. Finish modelling my handle design and figure out how to glue up in batch quantity
  • I have a mid thigh high stack of joist lumber in my dining room, for over 5 years now, waiting to be turned into some form of wood-working bench, following the books by Christopher Schwarz.

Trying not to think about the gutter and soffit/facia replacement job, replacement or painting for 2-story cast iron soil pipe and down pipes

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE