Waterproof outer layer advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
I, too, am in search of a rain coat. Now I found one I like. Ordered it.

S438NAR.jpg

Reactions: barrs

barrs

Oct 5, 2023
NE Scotland
Thanks everyone for the advice, sorry if I never replied directly to some of you, but read everything and took it onboard.

I ended up trying to bid for a Paramo jacket on Ebay, but bidding got a bit too high, so I ended up taking a punt with this raincoat instead. Hopefully it works out!

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Shepherds in the Pyrenees rely on umbrellas. I encountered one some years ago wet in my goretex while he was dry and comfortable in corduroy under his big black umbrella. However, he wasn't moving much, just watching his sheep warm in their wool.

Athos

Mar 12, 2021
East Sussex
Having been issued pretty much every waterproof shell layer manufactured for British forces in the last 20 years, there is no way in hell I would part with my own hard earned cash for any of them. They are ok as issued kit, as a) you didn’t pay for it and b) when it is no longer waterproof (which is an inevitability) you can just get another one.

Best waterproof I have used is the Carinthia TRG. Not cheap, but that’s where I chose to put my money.

Colinski

Jan 12, 2024
London
I would suggest The best allweather proof would be to layer and forget about these modern tech methods as they just don't work as well as proven methods.
3 layer system: string vest or thin material with open spaces next to the skin, Thermal layer and oilskin outer waterproof layer (Nothing fancy). If you are in cold dry areas the Hellehansen is the best under clothing and socks. Still try to keep 3 layers (Body heat Ventilation / Circulation, Insulation and Cover) Oilskin is cotten cloth coated with oils like linseed oil etc. In the old days Sailers used to have oilskin cotten made with Whale oil.

Reactions: barrs

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE