Can anyone explain away this for me?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
In answer to the original question, yes I could explain them away, as could anyone with a basic understanding of optics and lighting.

The next question is, Am I prepared to spend ages typing a scientific explanation when you seem to be looking really hard for confirmation of a supernatural theory?

Awww go on I'm all intrigued about a scientific explanation.

Although I did like the one about an invasion fleet from wherever it was... an over active imagination?? or is everyone elses just underdeveloped??

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
I'm with Mary. I don't know what part of the description of ball lightning is not fitting Hillbill's account.

It's seriously cool to get a picture of ball lightning. Well done!

Sent from my iToaster using Tapatalk

gan_pi

Tenderfoot
May 21, 2011
Manchester, UK
if you are enjoying illusions of mythical giants & UFO's then stop reading now.

ok, still here?
this is the same effect on a small scale that gives you rainbows. it occurs when you have parallel light hitting a high humidity environment. my understanding is that the drops act like a massive fresnel lens, giving both the magnified effect and the shadow.

I spent ages checking this out - i am very shortsighted and I thought it was my glasses playing a trick of the light, but I saw it again and again. I researched, and by chance found that others without glasses saw it too.

why did I spend so long on it? in my old flat I used to get this in my bathroom every day as I was shaving, but only if I'd had a shower first. it bloody creeped me out at first

HWMBLT

Apr 2, 2009
Bothwell
I think the orbs are reflections of the moon. Was it a full moon? What direction was the wind blowing? I am guessing it was relatively still. I dont know what the moon was reflecting on maybe water vapour but it wouldnt need to be spherical, just a patch of water drops like a mini rainbow

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I think the orbs are reflections of the moon. Was it a full moon? What direction was the wind blowing? I am guessing it was relatively still. I dont know what the moon was reflecting on maybe water vapour but it wouldnt need to be spherical, just a patch of water drops like a mini rainbow

Nice explanation.......................:welcome1: to the forum by the way :)

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Hi Mary :)

I'm not ignoring the ball lightning idea. I'm just looking for things i can look into, ball lightning is one of them i will be researching. :) From this description you posted it does indeed sound like a possibility :)

Hope you had a good xmas and new year. :)

Why are folks so eager to ignore the ball lightning as an explanation :dunno:
It doesn't somehow lessen the experience; it's a fascinating natural phenomenon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_lightning

"Descriptions of ball lightning vary wildly. It has been described as moving up and down, sideways or in unpredictable trajectories, hovering and moving with or against the wind; attracted to, unaffected by, or repelled from buildings, people, cars and other objects. Some accounts describe it as moving through solid masses of wood or metal without effect, while others describe it as destructive and melting or burning those substances. Its appearance has also been linked to power lines as well as during thunderstorms and also calm weather. Ball lightning has been described as transparent, translucent, multicolored, evenly lit, radiating flames, filaments or sparks, with shapes that vary between spheres, ovals, tear-drops, rods, or disks "

M

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
It was a half moon last night, the wind was blowing right to left in the pictures ( west to east) it was fairly breezy at the time,. :)

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Well, I said it might be ball lightning or the like, didnt I

I have never seen it, but I know people who have and they say it is the most awe inspiring thing ever

occams razor, after all

(I have seen lights at a distance, of course)

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
not sure if these will show, but taken inside ( obviously :) ) in daylight.

orbs1.jpg

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
I seriously doubt they were alien. Far more likely to be a manmade or natural phenomen. If you really want to get fortean then little people are a more likely explanation than visitors from outside our solar system.

What you're seeing here is the exodus of the helper elves, returning to the north pole... or possibly residue flying reindeer dust.

The fact is whatever they are, they're small and appear to reflect light, not emit it.

And they like sheds...

Shedii or Sith?

Hope you find an answer HB/Mark.

Has this anything to do with all those strange phenomena you were on about in the "Fear of the Dark" thread?

Liam

Last edited:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Ok. I'm not going to type a lot but you have to understand that any point out of the primary plane of focus will be rendered on the film or sensor as a circle. (Look up Circle of confusion.)

Therefore even microscopic particles such as dust, ash, ice etc. if closer to the lens than the plane of focus and outside the area of acceptable depth of field, (Another to look up.) will gain the appearance of circles in the image.

If these particles are strongly lit, for example by the camera's flash unit, then they will appear as "glowing" circles or even "orbs".

Simple to explain, even simpler to recreate. No supernatural explanation needed.

But I have no doubt you will choose to believe whatever you want to believe...

There seems to be a whole tribe of people that refuse to accept this simple explanation and I'm quite sure David Icke is one of them...
tinfoilhatsmile.gif

It's more than likely a weather thing, I was working on a hill....far awaaaaayyyyy, stands an old rugged....err sorry, I've had a drink, I was working on a hill on a landfill site a long time ago, walked to the top at about 7am and as I looked down the hill at my long shadow, I spotted a halo around my head, I called the Clerk of Works up and showed him, he said he couldn't see it and I must be seeing a "Glory" and I am the one who can only see my own Glory".

What you saw is a Brocken Spectre, which is your shadow projected onto a Glory (which is a circular rainbow). You occasionally see them when you're high up (most people see them from mountains) and you look down with the sun behind you.

They're an awesome sight! Other people can see your Brocken Spectre close by. I've also experienced a Brocken Spectre with two mates and all three of us were projected into the glory.

Last edited:

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
What you saw is a Brocken Spectre, which is your shadow projected onto a Glory (which is a circular rainbow). You occasionally see them when you're high up (most people see them from mountains) and you look down with the sun behind you.

They're an awesome sight! Other people can see your Brocken Spectre close by. I've also experienced a Brocken Spectre with two mates and all three of us were projected into the glory.

The CoW couldn't see it and he was standing next to me, it was only around my head.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE