Can anyone explain away this for me?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Ok. I'm not going to type a lot but you have to understand that any point out of the primary plane of focus will be rendered on the film or sensor as a circle. (Look up Circle of confusion.)

Therefore even microscopic particles such as dust, ash, ice etc. if closer to the lens than the plane of focus and outside the area of acceptable depth of field, (Another to look up.) will gain the appearance of circles in the image.

If these particles are strongly lit, for example by the camera's flash unit, then they will appear as "glowing" circles or even "orbs".

Simple to explain, even simpler to recreate. No supernatural explanation needed.

But I have no doubt you will choose to believe whatever you want to believe...

Yeah but he saw them with his own eyes, they didn't just appear in-camera.

gan_pi's explanation seems to have some merit.

Bluebs4

Aug 12, 2011
Bristol
Orbs do move around the world ,it's easy to say it's the camera and we almost always have to find a scientific answer to put closure on things like this ( our brains can't cope) so try to have an open mind I find a few malts help me.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
That would be a perfectly acceptable to me if it was just a camera thing Gary. It's a bit awkward then that they were visible to the mk 1 eyeball. Could the same effect happen to the lens system in the eye by any chance?

Ok. I'm not going to type a lot but you have to understand that any point out of the primary plane of focus will be rendered on the film or sensor as a circle. (Look up Circle of confusion.)

Therefore even microscopic particles such as dust, ash, ice etc. if closer to the lens than the plane of focus and outside the area of acceptable depth of field, (Another to look up.) will gain the appearance of circles in the image.

If these particles are strongly lit, for example by the camera's flash unit, then they will appear as "glowing" circles or even "orbs".

Simple to explain, even simpler to recreate. No supernatural explanation needed.

But I have no doubt you will choose to believe whatever you want to believe...

There seems to be a whole tribe of people that refuse to accept this simple explanation and I'm quite sure David Icke is one of them...
tinfoilhatsmile.gif

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
That would be a perfectly acceptable to me if it was just a camera thing Gary. It's a bit awkward then that they were visible to the mk 1 eyeball. Could the same effect happen to the lens system in the eye by any chance?

Yes it can when there are other light sources present. The moon, a streetlight, houselight or even a car headlights can cause suspended particles to give an effect like that.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
How big were they Mark when you saw them in the flesh, and how close were you to them?

(Sorry if you've mentioned it elsewhere)

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
They were various sizes. Though i'd say an average of around 6 inches.

I was maybe 6 ft from the shed when taking the pictures. They were all over the place, some a foot or two away at times.. :)

How big were they Mark when you saw them in the flesh, and how close were you to them?

(Sorry if you've mentioned it elsewhere)

Last edited:

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Other than the light in the shed, there wasnt any other light getting to the area.

Yes it can when there are other light sources present. The moon, a streetlight, houselight or even a car headlights can cause suspended particles to give an effect like that.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I've seen what I would consider to be 'similar-ish' types of floating orbs on a few occasions ~ but as has already been said, they've been caused by dust motes or ice particles etc.

Other than the light in the shed, there wasnt any other light getting to the area.

So, other than the light from the shed, there was no light?

There's some nice light reflecting surfaces on that car as well.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Well there was the light from the house, but the blinds were shut. There are only fields behind the shed.

I've seen what I would consider to be 'similar-ish' types of floating orbs on a few occasions ~ but as has already been said, they've been caused by dust motes or ice particles etc.

So, other than the light from the shed, there was no light?

There's some nice light reflecting surfaces on that car as well.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I'm pretty certain they weren't dust particles. They moved away in reaction to the camera flash and got progressively smaller as they moved away. Their movements were direct too, rather than aimlessly floating about, plus they moved away into the wind. Nah, not dust particles imo.

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
We don't see with our eyes, they just gather light. We see with our brains. Our brains make sense of what we see based on past experience. I think HillBill knew that what he was looking at was something out of the ordinary. I don't think it was dust particles or light refracting to create an illusion. You can make that mistake with a photograph but not whilst it's happening in front of your own eyes. You would quickly realise that your eyes were being tricked. The description of the way they moved and the time span involved discounts an optical illusion in my opinion.
I'm not suggesting it was something supernatural, just something rarely seen.

Sent from my iToaster using Tapatalk

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Remember that our eyes and brains can be fooled quite easily and adapt to a given situation. Remember the experiment when people were given glasses that showed what they were looking at upside down? Their brains adapted after a week into the experiment and inverted the image so that they saw everything the right way up again. The cool thing was, upon removing the glasses several days later, the whole world was upside down for them for a few days until their brains adapted once more.

Actually, that info is not really relevant in this situation, but it is cool nontheless.

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
Could the same effect happen to the lens system in the eye by any chance?
The only way you would get that effect with the human eye, is as a result of some sort of damage, you would be seeing them all the time too.

If you saw them with the naked eye and the camera recorded the same image too, then it is no trick/fault of technology.

I would love to see something like that :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
interesting thread, and thought processes. seems to me the rational reasons have been explored but none of them really hold water do they?. only mark knows what he saw and he no doubt ran through all the obvious causes before posting up, those with an open mind have a lot more to learn...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE