Can anyone explain away this for me?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bluebs4

Aug 12, 2011
Bristol
Sorry to be a copy n paste freak but av a look

Just a few minutes before midnight on New Year's Eve, four people (myself included) observed a UFO.  We were sitting around the fire pit at Mother Earth's Community Garden located on N. 9th and D streets.  We had four Swedish log candles burning in the pit.  Myself and my wife were drinking Bengal Spice tea and the other couple each had a wine cooler they were drinking.  My wife suddenly pointed in the direction of Hiland Dairy's building on ninth and exclaimed, "What's that?!"  We all looked and saw a light about the size of softball (at least that's how I perceived it) coming down ninth street probably no more than 75 yards from where we all were sitting. It was maybe 25-30 feet off the ground.  One person in the group instantly identified it as a balloon with a candle tied to it in some way.  This identification seemed sort of plausible but before it got to the corner of 9th and D, it took a right turn and quickly crossed over 10th and 11th  and Grand Avenue where it then appeared to gain a bit of elevation and run parallel to Grand.  It looked like it was going to collide with the steeple of the Baptist Church but it didn't. It continued down Grand and soon after it passed the steeple we lost sight of it.

Here's another interesting oddity about viewing this object.  When I first saw it at about 75 yards away it appeared to be the aproximate size of a softball.  Then, when it reached the steeple, which is over a quater of a mile away, i could still clearly make it out as being a light the size of a basic light bulb.  That doesn;t make any sense to me.  At that distance, especially with my poor night vision, it should have appeared to be no more than the size of a spark escaping the fire pit.  In any case, this was truly an unidentified flying object experience. This object was flying or floating in the air above the ground and we four had only guesses as to what we had just witnessed.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
To me that sounds like a chinese lantern :) Being affected by the wind as it came to street intersections and also the description of the size fits too :)

Not trying to be a spoilsport, but i remember the first time i saw them, they do look a bit out of the ordinary if you've not seen them before :)

But i maybe wrong, difficult to judge off of a description. :)

Sorry to be a copy n paste freak but av a look

Just a few minutes before midnight on New Year's Eve, four people (myself included) observed a UFO. We were sitting around the fire pit at Mother Earth's Community Garden located on N. 9th and D streets. We had four Swedish log candles burning in the pit. Myself and my wife were drinking Bengal Spice tea and the other couple each had a wine cooler they were drinking. My wife suddenly pointed in the direction of Hiland Dairy's building on ninth and exclaimed, "What's that?!" We all looked and saw a light about the size of softball (at least that's how I perceived it) coming down ninth street probably no more than 75 yards from where we all were sitting. It was maybe 25-30 feet off the ground. One person in the group instantly identified it as a balloon with a candle tied to it in some way. This identification seemed sort of plausible but before it got to the corner of 9th and D, it took a right turn and quickly crossed over 10th and 11th and Grand Avenue where it then appeared to gain a bit of elevation and run parallel to Grand. It looked like it was going to collide with the steeple of the Baptist Church but it didn't. It continued down Grand and soon after it passed the steeple we lost sight of it.

Here's another interesting oddity about viewing this object. When I first saw it at about 75 yards away it appeared to be the aproximate size of a softball. Then, when it reached the steeple, which is over a quater of a mile away, i could still clearly make it out as being a light the size of a basic light bulb. That doesn;t make any sense to me. At that distance, especially with my poor night vision, it should have appeared to be no more than the size of a spark escaping the fire pit. In any case, this was truly an unidentified flying object experience. This object was flying or floating in the air above the ground and we four had only guesses as to what we had just witnessed.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
In answer to the original question, yes I could explain them away, as could anyone with a basic understanding of optics and lighting.

The next question is, Am I prepared to spend ages typing a scientific explanation when you seem to be looking really hard for confirmation of a supernatural theory?

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
In answer to the original question, yes I could explain them away, as could anyone with a basic understanding of optics and lighting.

The next question is, Am I prepared to spend ages typing a scientific explanation when you seem to be looking really hard for confirmation of a supernatural theory?

why not type it in Gary and let people decide which definition/description of what happened is the more plausable?

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I'm not actually looking for anything other than ideas Gary :) If you read the initial post you will see that they were visible to the naked eye, hence the reason i was taking pics of a shed and the sky in the dark :) It was pure luck that i saw them after i had just been taking a photograph of a machine for a chap on here.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
the kid next door who was originally disappointed with just a bubble machine and disco light set up for christmas is now somewhat loving their present :D

Bluebs4

Aug 12, 2011
Bristol
Aaa the soothing tones of Richard burton ......no one would have believed .......this should send me off good night my fellow earthlings .god bless

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
go for it Gary, i'd love to hear the scientific explanation 'cos it's baffling me, i've never seen anything like this but i have heard of "orbs". I'm sure that everyone including HB would appreciate a reasonable explanation. ( check out the title of the thread......the clue's in the title :) )

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
go for it Gary, i'd love to hear the scientific explanation 'cos it's baffling me, i've never seen anything like this but i have heard of "orbs". I'm sure that everyone including HB would appreciate a reasonable explanation. ( check out the title of the thread......the clue's in the title :) )
Indeed :)..

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Panasonic Lumix TZ6 mate.

I've just been looking at the pics on my imac photo thingy. I've used the enhance button on it to auto enhance them and i'm gonna try get em up here, makes quite a difference.

kawasemi

May 27, 2009
Where the path takes me
I think you need to open an...

...X-file

Are Mulder and Scully in the house? Whatever it turns out to be it is certainly an interesting experience. Have the hairs on your neck gone down yet?

kawasemi

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Why are folks so eager to ignore the ball lightning as an explanation :dunno:
It doesn't somehow lessen the experience; it's a fascinating natural phenomenon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_lightning

"Descriptions of ball lightning vary wildly. It has been described as moving up and down, sideways or in unpredictable trajectories, hovering and moving with or against the wind; attracted to, unaffected by, or repelled from buildings, people, cars and other objects. Some accounts describe it as moving through solid masses of wood or metal without effect, while others describe it as destructive and melting or burning those substances. Its appearance has also been linked to power lines as well as during thunderstorms and also calm weather. Ball lightning has been described as transparent, translucent, multicolored, evenly lit, radiating flames, filaments or sparks, with shapes that vary between spheres, ovals, tear-drops, rods, or disks "

M

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Why are folks so eager to ignore the ball lightning as an explanation :dunno:
It doesn't somehow lessen the experience; it's a fascinating natural phenomenon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_lightning

"Descriptions of ball lightning vary wildly. It has been described as moving up and down, sideways or in unpredictable trajectories, hovering and moving with or against the wind; attracted to, unaffected by, or repelled from buildings, people, cars and other objects. Some accounts describe it as moving through solid masses of wood or metal without effect, while others describe it as destructive and melting or burning those substances. Its appearance has also been linked to power lines as well as during thunderstorms and also calm weather. Ball lightning has been described as transparent, translucent, multicolored, evenly lit, radiating flames, filaments or sparks, with shapes that vary between spheres, ovals, tear-drops, rods, or disks "

M

Because it was not ball lightning Mary, Bill could see it as could the camera, who's to say the experience was just ball lightning, very doubtful given the time period it covered. I saw 'my' UFO's in the 70's, there is no way they were craft off this planet, nothing then or now could move like that so I just respect them for what they were/are.

Problem with the whole UFO 'thing' is it does attract the tin foil hat brigade/I got probed people, but look further into the whole thing and its very obvious we ain't alone and are being looked at. Not hard to believe when you look at how many little craft we have travelling in space or in orbit gathering data; we are doing the same as them with the technology we have to hand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-RPWhigpQg keep an open mind Mary.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I seriously doubt they were alien. Far more likely to be a manmade or natural phenomen. If you really want to get fortean then little people are a more likely explanation than visitors from outside our solar system.

What you're seeing here is the exodus of the helper elves, returning to the north pole... or possibly residue flying reindeer dust.

The fact is whatever they are, they're small and appear to reflect light, not emit it.

And they like sheds...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE