Can anyone explain away this for me?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You lucky sod :D
Real ball lightning :D

It doesn't need to be a thunderstorm to have them appear though that is more common. Supposedly some kind of electrical discharge, but they move as though alive :)

atb,
M

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I see what your saying JD, but you didn't see them, the flash from the camera made them move away. They all left in unison, in a southerly direction. The breeze is blowing right to left in the pics ( west to east), the pics are facing south and the orbs moved away in a roughly SSW direction, basically against the wind.

Why not? You don't need clouds or wind to generate the conditions for suspended water in the atmosphere, just the right conditions in a localised area. Coupled with a light source, as there was, and you get similar conditions to what you had there.

Not saying that it was what was happening there, but that it does produce exactly that effect.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK

It doesn't need to be a thunderstorm to have them appear though that is more common. Supposedly some kind of electrical discharge, but they move as though alive :)

atb,
M

Good call. Ionised particles could cause that effect, but what locally to HB could cause the airborne particles to be ionised?

Globetrotter.uk

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
Chinese paper lantins mate. I see these regular and from a distance they look round and can move a bit if the wind is there.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I see what your saying JD, but you didn't see them, the flash from the camera made them move away. They all left in unison, in a southerly direction. The breeze is blowing right to left in the pics ( west to east), the pics are facing south and the orbs moved away in a roughly SSW direction, basically against the wind.

So they reacted to photons? We need a quantum physicist on the forum.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Send them over this way Mark and I'll have a look, don't suppose they were heading for Morley were they? :)

I always thought these orbs were caught on camera, particles of dust etc, seeing them with your naked eye is pretty cool.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Machinery and dust in the air, combined with atmospheric conditions conducive to their stability :D

My Grandpa said he'd seen them in his workshop twice; he was an engineer and used lathes, drill presses, grinders, etc.,
My Granny gave him a flytin' and told him not to be so daft because if they took a notion to him they'd hurt.

cheers,
M

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
It's either water droplets or dust particles, I have a few like that.

Hopefully this is one of them.

34oyhp2.jpg

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Hi Mary, Maybe, but ive never seen that before so i've nothing to compare it to. :)

atb,
M

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
It was weird Rich i can tell ya that much. They headed over mirfield/hudds way though

Send them over this way Mark and I'll have a look, don't suppose they were heading for Morley were they? :)

I always thought these orbs were caught on camera, particles of dust etc, seeing them with your naked eye is pretty cool.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE