Britain to start terrorism survival course

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Nowt at all to do with bushcraft. I really don't think we need a course telling us how to deal with a terrorist attack. It's a good idea for the emergency services because they'll be there in the thick of it when it happens, but offering it to the public is just someone cashing in on the general publics' fear and paranoia.

The only thing Joe Public needs to remember when some eejit starts chucking bombs around is 1)Get your head down. 2)Stay alert. 3)Get the hell out of the area ASAP. 4)Head for home, make a cup of tea and put the telly on. Oh, and remember It's not personal.

For people living in built up areas where terrorist attacks are more likely, some kind of emergency bag might be prudent. By that I mean a shoulder bag kept in the office containing something to eat and drink, a pair of trainers in case you have to walk home (if public transport is disrupted or you can't get to your car because of road blocks etc), a torch and one of those little dust masks. That's it! Just basic precautions. You don't need a special course to get that info across.

Eric

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Its nothing to do with politics, just the sad state of the country

(Something a paper in INDIA might not grasp)

We have had courses adverised in a similar way locally, for businesses.

They mean nothing, its just a way for whoevers running it to sell more courses

its MAKE WORK and theres too much of it here these days.

(But I hope they dont advise a small cage bird in case of gas attack like I read in all seriousness smewhere)

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
Good for them. I'm sure they'll find a market for it, alot of people over worry in this day and age.

Of course, it is an attempt to make a profit, which I find perfectly acceptable. We all gotta earn money.

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
There are lots of useless courses available for individuals and companies to spend their money on, I have heard of a great many people who pay hundreds of pounds to do "Survival" courses and even "Bushcraft" courses and others who have done "Close protection" courses and the list goes on and on, why do they do these courses, because they want to or in some cases need to.

Personally I wouldn't spend my hard earned money getting someone else to show me how to do "Survival" or "Bushcraft", I would prefer to get a like-minded group of people (Like on here) and find a local land-owner and go and learn by mistakes in many instances...If you have £££ to chuck around then go for it...

Always someone willing to take a buck off someone who hasn't the inclination to DIY.

Just MHO of course...

LS

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I am fairly sure they will find some paranoid wrecks with too much cash in their pockets to fleece but back in the real world theres probably more chance of being struck by lightning than being blown up by a terrorist in the UK.

Always baffles me when you see people on the telly who actually worry about crap like that.

Meh.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
It winds me up that we are more terrified, as a Nation, of Islamic terrorists and the like who live in other countries and send the odd groups into our midst then we ever were of the IRA who lived just over the water! I do believe it is fear caused by Americans who never dealt with terrorism until 9/11 (God, I hate that term!) and now feel everybody is out to get them. I am not saying Americans are bad as I know we have some Yankee members, please don't be offended as the fear has been generated from on high. We dealt with terrorism for years and we just got on with our lives. By putting the terrorists on the news and showing them they are terrifying the populace, then they have won a small victory. The BBC never allowed Gerry Adams to speak on the TV, they dubbed his voice over. It was ridiculous, but it was for a reason. They weren't given the impression that we were all sat at home filling our pants in fear. The lot today are, and we are reaping the reward for giving them so much attention.

As for a course, what will they do? Sit them on a bus and blow it up and then get the survivors to run to safety? Absolutely stupid idea. You cannot plan for every eventuality. If the proverbial hits the fan, get on your toes and away from it, but ensure you aren't getting bottle necked into a second attack. Take what is yours and go. If you work in London, stay away from public transport as that will probably be a target too. Move away from the attack but don't panic or else you may start the stampede. If one starts, get away from it as soon as possible so that you don't get injured. If you do walk into a secondary attack, there's not much you can do about it.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Far more people are killed by young yobs than terrorists. When are we going to see training camps to counter real threats?

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
It winds me up that we are more terrified, as a Nation, of Islamic terrorists and the like who live in other countries and send the odd groups into our midst then we ever were of the IRA who lived just over the water! I do believe it is fear caused by Americans who never dealt with terrorism until 9/11 (God, I hate that term!) and now feel everybody is out to get them. I am not saying Americans are bad as I know we have some Yankee members, please don't be offended as the fear has been generated from on high. We dealt with terrorism for years and we just got on with our lives. By putting the terrorists on the news and showing them they are terrifying the populace, then they have won a small victory. The BBC never allowed Gerry Adams to speak on the TV, they dubbed his voice over. It was ridiculous, but it was for a reason. They weren't given the impression that we were all sat at home filling our pants in fear. The lot today are, and we are reaping the reward for giving them so much attention.

As for a course, what will they do? Sit them on a bus and blow it up and then get the survivors to run to safety? Absolutely stupid idea. You cannot plan for every eventuality. If the proverbial hits the fan, get on your toes and away from it, but ensure you aren't getting bottle necked into a second attack. Take what is yours and go. If you work in London, stay away from public transport as that will probably be a target too. Move away from the attack but don't panic or else you may start the stampede. If one starts, get away from it as soon as possible so that you don't get injured. If you do walk into a secondary attack, there's not much you can do about it.

Not trying to ba awkward and I know that the attacks on the eleventh of september were an awfull thing but as we are in the UK and we can use a calender properly;) it should be 11/9...

Don't even get me started on the term "Ground Zero" either or I will have to mention the most horiffic attacks ever perpitrated upon mankind in the form of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Oops, too late.

Anyway, at least now that the US has got all paranoid about "terrrists" under the bed they have stopped the funding to the IRA so every cloud has a silver lining, maybe one day we can have litter bins back in train stations:)

Theres just no worries at all about terrorism as far as I am concerned, maybe one day the hype will manage to turn me into a paranoid wreck but I doubt it.
My shadow remains just my shadow and not an enemy out to get me.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Nowt at all to do with bushcraft. I really don't think we need a course telling us how to deal with a terrorist attack. It's a good idea for the emergency services because they'll be there in the thick of it when it happens, but offering it to the public is just someone cashing in on the general publics' fear and paranoia.

The only thing Joe Public needs to remember when some eejit starts chucking bombs around is 1)Get your head down. 2)Stay alert. 3)Get the hell out of the area ASAP. 4)Head for home, make a cup of tea and put the telly on. Oh, and remember It's not personal.

For people living in built up areas where terrorist attacks are more likely, some kind of emergency bag might be prudent. By that I mean a shoulder bag kept in the office containing something to eat and drink, a pair of trainers in case you have to walk home (if public transport is disrupted or you can't get to your car because of road blocks etc), a torch and one of those little dust masks. That's it! Just basic precautions. You don't need a special course to get that info across.

Eric

What he said:)

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I always thought it would be amazing fore-thought if we had seen someone leap from the two towers and open a parachute. I wpnder if anyone is carrying one in a high office block now?

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Maybe, maybe not, but it was on the radio that an umberella is being developed to slow a decending person sufficiently to help them escape from burning buildings etc.

It was on "drive time" some months back.

LS

O

OregonDave

Fear mongering is an industry in my country. There's money and power to be had in any good scare. There's always going to be a vocal minority who'll feed into the latest fear craze, and spend their money and time to advance their fear-of-the-week. Makes the rest of us look silly. Oh well, such is life.
OD

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
I always thought it would be amazing fore-thought if we had seen someone leap from the two towers and open a parachute. I wpnder if anyone is carrying one in a high office block now?

Probably end up spending a few years in Guantanamo explaining why you had the parachute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE