Weather to come.......

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's a beautiful clear, crisp cold night here.
The gritters are out on the roads, but the arc of the moon and the stars are so sharp. I think the air must be washed clean.

But, it was still daylight for the first time this year when I left to go and pick up Son2 from the station tonight, so the days are definitely lengthening :D

I have crocus' in bloom and the bluebells are about 10cm high now, no flower spikes sowing yet, but everything's moving along :)

Reactions: Pattree

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Strangely, I have flower spikes beginning to show on 5cm bluebells!

The weather forecast can't tell me what it's doing now let alone this weekend or next week. I'm trying to plan working parties and just cannot make any commitment :(

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
That rain is handy! I’ve just finished repairs to the tipi and set it up in the this rain for testing.
It leaks. Not much but I’ll be out with the seam sealer once it’s dry. The fabric is behaving beautifully but then it always does after it’s annual end of season Fabsil.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I had just started digging on my allotment and along comes the rain to spoil everything.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
That rain is handy! I’ve just finished repairs to the tipi and set it up in the this rain for testing.
It leaks. Not much but I’ll be out with the seam sealer once it’s dry. The fabric is behaving beautifully but then it always does after it’s annual end of season Fabsil.

Yeh, but, without the rain, you could have used a hose pipe - it's stopping me getting on with so much work - wielding billhooks, axes, and chainsaws in the wet is just not safe :(

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Sorry about that
but I’ve just said on another forum - rain gets in where a hose doesn’t. A night of fine rain will tell me enters the seams need attention.

That said, it can stop now. I don’t think we’ll be short of water for a while.

• Haha
Reactions: Broch

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Still havnt got the hedge laid at the project, it's been too wet to work safely.
Might not get done at all this year.
Last week we were ankle deep in mud trying to put in a couple of new fence posts and strainers, ready for the new wire sheep fence. Still haven't got it finished,
All three of us came in soaked, caked in mud, and totaly teed off!. Hopefully we can finish that job this week. The sheep can't come back into the field untill it's done.
Then we have to make new steps for the compost loo, and stuff in more straw bales before we can run any courses.
Plus we are still building the ( very wet, )dry stone wall. So much to do, and little progress when you only have one day a week to get it done.
Oh please can we have a bit of dry sunny weather so we can get these jobs done, and start some courses.......please!

Reactions: GreyCat

Lean'n'mean

Settler
Nov 18, 2020
France
Even if the climate is screwed up, no complaints here at this time of year.
wff.png

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Nasty weather today. Woke up last night to torrential rain and wind, my black bin being blown around, and my bike rollover cover trying to walk away...I must get it screwed down!
We have had two hailstorm in the past hour, and the torrential rain has made the garden so wet that water oozes up around your boot when you step on the grass.
I have so much to do to ready the garden for spring planting, and it's impossible to get going.
Washing, is wetter than when I put it out on the line for the past couple of washes.
Trees down due to landslide blocking our main road in and out of town a few days ago, and now looking at being cut off with flooding.
Did someone say spring was here?
Its dark, cold, wet, miserable, and need six months in the Bahamas! I'm totaly fed up with this awful weather.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Ah! THAT’S where it went. We’ve been threatened with that sort of weather here in the Midlands today. Bright sunshine and I didn’t wear an overcoat. You’ve got it all!

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Ah! THAT’S where it went. We’ve been threatened with that sort of weather here in the Midlands today. Bright sunshine and I didn’t wear an overcoat. You’ve got it all!

The sun came out just after I posted, so I decided to paddle into town and hit the chippy for a few lunch time chips. The moment I sat on the bench to eat them, it started to rain .. the moment I gave up and moved off, the sun came out again.
What on earth did I do to deserve this!!! :( :(
Everytime I go out it rains or hails! Soon as I go inside it stops and the sun comes out.!!!!:surrender:

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Tried to camp up in the Welsh hills on a friend’s holding. I did some tests before I dug out the tipi - experience says this is worthwhile.
The grassland was a swamp. It wouldn’t grip nine inch nail pegs neither would the triangular section pegs hold. I could have pitched using six augers that I carry for high wind but if I’d pitched I’d have made a hell of a mess and I pride myself on low impact camping. I didn’t unpack the tipi.
My friend, who owns the holdings has a tiny wooden studio at the bottom of her garden and I’ve spent two nights in that. The swamp would have been softer!!! For my three days on the mountain it never stopped raining (while I was awake). It was still fun and I helped to build a raised bed. We were using bone dry dusty soil from inside a poly tunnel (plus cardboard and compost) and got covered in dust. Outside in the rain this turned to a thin layer of mud. It was however great fun.

Weather to come? At least ten days of the same.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE