Britain to start terrorism survival course

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Somebody marketed something to parachute to freedom from a tall building. As I recall it was shown on a breakfast TV type programme and whilst the guy was chatting about how easy it was to put on and use, the woman demonstrating it was tying herself in knots trying to put it on! It was funnier than Gates' infamous Blue Screen of Death at the launch of one of his new operating systems!

loz.

Settler
Sep 12, 2006
Dublin,Ireland
www.craobhcuigdeag.org
Somebody marketed something to parachute to freedom from a tall building. As I recall it was shown on a breakfast TV type programme and whilst the guy was chatting about how easy it was to put on and use, the woman demonstrating it was tying herself in knots trying to put it on! It was funnier than Gates' infamous Blue Screen of Death at the launch of one of his new operating systems!

I saw something similar, but it more more like a rubber version of the builders rubbish chute.

http://www.escapeconsult.com/multi_entry_chute.html

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Oh, this was like an actual parachute! can you imagine the mayhem of all these people jumping with a parachute and tangling up in each others' chutes and then plummeting to their deaths?! The disposal chute type seems a better idea. I've also seen a fold away ladder that pivots via the rungs, so it is a few inches wide when stowed away and by releasing a pin, the ladder folds away from the building with one upright fixed and the other swinging down on the rungs to form a ladder, imagine a slide rule if you will. There is even a harness to wear in case you slip on the ladder that will arrest your fall. My only concern is the release pin. Somebody needs to be on that floor or the ladder cannot be swung out!

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
As base jumping is illegal in many countries, it wouldnt be a good idea.

(You could always try the GB option, we have an aversion to buildings over twelve stories and so our land is pleasantly free of skyscrapers.)

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
Maybe, maybe not, but it was on the radio that an umberella is being developed to slow a decending person sufficiently to help them escape from burning buildings etc.

It was on "drive time" some months back.

LS

OMG....Batman will think its raining Penguins :umbrella: :umbrella: :umbrella: :umbrella: :umbrella:

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
"In the Cold War days, terrorism was about individual countries. In Northern Ireland or Kashmir, there was an end game with a defined political agenda. Now, there are terrorists whose aim is to maim and kill as many as possible. No agenda."

I thought the Al Qaeda agenda was to use terrorism to provolk an over the top reaction from our governments that ensures we gladly lose out on some of the freedoms we are supposedly fighting for, whilst ensuring that we do something that is so bad that they get more martyrs and funding.

And here's people who are building the fire up further rather than looking at it and seeing it as a practically non existant threat.

galew

Tenderfoot
It winds me up that we are more terrified, as a Nation, of Islamic terrorists and the like who live in other countries and send the odd groups into our midst then we ever were of the IRA who lived just over the water! I do believe it is fear caused by Americans who never dealt with terrorism until 9/11 (God, I hate that term!) and now feel everybody is out to get them. If you do walk into a secondary attack, there's not much you can do about it.
I will agree the Brits had to deal with terrorists longer, but we have the same kind of reporting here, all anti-war, and anti-bush. They don't even mention terrorist if at all possible. So not I don't think it American fear, I don't think the average sheepie even gives terrorism a thought, they are too busy worrying about the price of gas and who going to win the next ball game. Do I worry, yes, because I know that at any time someone can walk across the border with a suitcase nuke and Dallas is a nice close target. But as long as I am not in the kill radius, I know what to do, so it not too big of a worry.

moonvisage

Jun 23, 2008
birmingham
I've seen snippets on the BBC news of these mish mash bushcraft type training groups at work.they usually cater for businesses,who want to train only their managers,saying they will become more business minded.they usually involve anti terrorism training,bushcraft,camping in certain loacations where there is plenty of wood and rock to build shelters,and guarenteed water within a certain radius of the camp.there also seems to be an endless supply of huge plastic sheeting aswell,for waterproof covering their shelters.... obviously they have developed a GM bush that produces big plastic sheeting.I dare say,a lot of them end the course with a long,fun game of paintball,amongst the specially planted pine tree woods.

Armleywhite

Nomad
Apr 26, 2008
Leeds
www.motforum.com
It winds me up that we are more terrified, as a Nation, of Islamic terrorists and the like who live in other countries and send the odd groups into our midst then we ever were of the IRA who lived just over the water! I do believe it is fear caused by Americans who never dealt with terrorism until 9/11 (God, I hate that term!) and now feel everybody is out to get them. I am not saying Americans are bad as I know we have some Yankee members, please don't be offended as the fear has been generated from on high. We dealt with terrorism for years and we just got on with our lives. By putting the terrorists on the news and showing them they are terrifying the populace, then they have won a small victory. The BBC never allowed Gerry Adams to speak on the TV, they dubbed his voice over. It was ridiculous, but it was for a reason. They weren't given the impression that we were all sat at home filling our pants in fear. The lot today are, and we are reaping the reward for giving them so much attention.

As for a course, what will they do? Sit them on a bus and blow it up and then get the survivors to run to safety? Absolutely stupid idea. You cannot plan for every eventuality. If the proverbial hits the fan, get on your toes and away from it, but ensure you aren't getting bottle necked into a second attack. Take what is yours and go. If you work in London, stay away from public transport as that will probably be a target too. Move away from the attack but don't panic or else you may start the stampede. If one starts, get away from it as soon as possible so that you don't get injured. If you do walk into a secondary attack, there's not much you can do about it.

I really don't think the nation is more scared now than back in the days of the IRA. We have adopted the attitude of our usual stoicism over some idiot wanting to indiscriminately kill innocents. I firmly believe that the press / Media are the ones fuelling the "terror". Never before have I seen such a masive coverage of events as we see today. Same with the bleeding credit crunch. Every single paper, radio / tv station are constantly pumping it out that the international economy is in a bad way. Harldy bleeding rocket science that the populus are worried is it? Same with the continued coverage of the terrorist potential.

Zeitgeist is mentioned somewhere on this site. Certainly gives an opposing side to the whole "who really controls things in this world" theory. I truly believe that there is a a force at work to de stabilise us all into being led by sheep to tow the line. Hence the constant fear from the media to the terrorisst threat.

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
I've seen snippets on the BBC news of these mish mash bushcraft type training groups at work.they usually cater for businesses,who want to train only their managers,saying they will become more business minded.they usually involve anti terrorism training,bushcraft,camping in certain loacations where there is plenty of wood and rock to build shelters,and guarenteed water within a certain radius of the camp.there also seems to be an endless supply of huge plastic sheeting aswell,for waterproof covering their shelters.... obviously they have developed a GM bush that produces big plastic sheeting.I dare say,a lot of them end the course with a long,fun game of paintball,amongst the specially planted pine tree woods.

Sounds like being paid by your company to have fun... Great concept! :p I sure hope my boss once decides we need something like that during our paid working days! :beerchug:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I really don't think the nation is more scared now than back in the days of the IRA. We have adopted the attitude of our usual stoicism over some idiot wanting to indiscriminately kill innocents. I firmly believe that the press / Media are the ones fuelling the "terror". Never before have I seen such a masive coverage of events as we see today. Same with the bleeding credit crunch. Every single paper, radio / tv station are constantly pumping it out that the international economy is in a bad way. Harldy bleeding rocket science that the populus are worried is it? Same with the continued coverage of the terrorist potential.

Zeitgeist is mentioned somewhere on this site. Certainly gives an opposing side to the whole "who really controls things in this world" theory. I truly believe that there is a a force at work to de stabilise us all into being led by sheep to tow the line. Hence the constant fear from the media to the terrorisst threat.

Isn`t most war just a media event now anyway, it`s just crackhead dictators trying make a name for themselves most of the time.

How many of us tuned in to watch the last invasion of Iraq live on tv ? I know I did

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
I suppose it had to happen as its a good way of slyly getting a profile to make us more afraid so they can stick yet more police powers and legislation to use against us.

terrorism wise we should be more wary than the 80's thanks to the internet and mobile phones the data and ability to create explosive compounds has increased a thousand fold.

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
I think it is kind of silly.
Scenario 1 - If a plane crashes into you what should you do?
Scenario 2 - If a bomb goes off on the bus you're on what should you do?

Either get out or start over (reincarnation time)

What I think was craziest was after 9/11 a surge in handgun sales in the US. Just how would having a hand gun have helped?

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
How very astute of the director of 360 Defence Ltd. to have obtained publicity for one of his Company run courses which will be held in the UK.

Curious then, that the newspaper article should appear in an Indian newspaper.

Presumably unrelated to the fact that the wife of the director is reported in the article to be half Indian!

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
... the most horiffic attacks ever perpitrated upon mankind in the form of Hiroshima and Nagasaki...

Those aren't even the largest air raids in history. Read up on Dresden and Tokyo.

And all of the above combined are dwarfed by the pogroms of Stalin, Hitler, Mao, and Pol Pot.

In cruelty, those bombings are exceeded by countless incidents, from the sack of Babylon to the rape of Nanking.

And despite the disparity in numbers, those who delivered those bombs weren't in any way morally inferior to, say, the Japanese soldiers who spent eleven days torturing Australian Gunner Albert Cleary to death.

... What I think was craziest was after 9/11 a surge in handgun sales in the US. Just how would having a hand gun have helped?

John Oganowski, the captain of one of the 767's that hit the World Trade Center, was a good friend of mine. If we could bring him back from the dead for a magical "do-over", and ask him if he wanted the means to defend himself or if he'd just rather have his throat cut again, do you think he would have wanted a fighting chance?

Many times every day, armed citizens in the US prevent crimes from becoming even worse. We don't hear much about them precisely because they didn't get worse. And it doesn't take much searching to find news articles from Israel of armed citizens dealing with terrorists.

It pains me to see so many fellows from the land of George Broadfoot, Colin Campbell and Winston Churchill now advocating helpless passivity instead of self-reliance. It pains me even more to watch America slowly but surely going down the same road.

"When seconds count, the police are only minutes away."

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
There is a common misconception within the US that because the citizens of the UK are not allowed to carry firearms for self defence, that we are passive weaklings beholden to our 'masters' whom impose such restrictions upon us.

WRONG!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE