Weather to come.......

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My cousin, in Hampshire, says they had a daffodil, just one, bloom on Christmas day :)

We have heather and Christmas roses in bloom, and the winter flowering jasmine, but that's pretty much all.....but oh, it's sunny, and it's light, and that's lovely at this usually gloomy bit of the year :)

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Blue sky, clouds and glimpses of sun. A bit of gardening done. Snowdrops are only green leaves forming under the shelter of next door's leylandii and our pine tree. The Heather is actually in flower in places. No idea when it came out but I noticed it yesterday. Suspect it was out for some time in places.

Our hellebore seem to be growing. We gave family some but you'd never know the way it's spreading. Much like the beech and iirc camellia leaves are building up. I'm thinking someone is putting them back every n night after we clear them.

This new year thing is just a carry on from the old year. Whatever the weather there's work to be done.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Getting colder here, though still not too bad if you are wrapped up well.
Spent yesterday up on the project permaculture garden , weeding the fruit tree bases and laying cardboard and woodchip along the paths with a new volenteer.
Everything is now ready for planting the veg garden up in the spring.
Batteries checked and replaced as nessasary in torches and lanterns.
Coal delivered, kindling stocked, home made firelighters ready for the cold snap forcast for next week.
Ready as I can be for the snow. Though I'm not holding my breath. Everytime I do this, it misses our little valley out altogether.

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
Was working in the garden in a tshirt today, has been glorious.

-5C expected in the next few days though, might need a jacket again…

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
"Hmmm..."-kind of weather here, actually a snow storm with about 10cm so far today. On top of the 65cm already on the ground. Another 15cm forecasted before the evening and some freezing rain after that, a few degrees (C) on the plus side for the evening.

The kind of weather that gets one thinking on the positive sides of hibernation.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Survived the 9th storm of the season, quite a bit of tidying in the garden this morning, and my budlia tree lost a large branch. Got off fairly lightly I think. Now waiting storm number 10, predicted for tomorrow. Still no snow. Just more wind and wet stuff.
Knew I should have built an ark rather than a pulk!

• Haha
Reactions: Toddy

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Definitely getting warmer in the Midlands.

The compost bin is going down!!!!
It fills up with food waste in the cold months then starts to rot down as the background temperature rises. Left to itself I can’t fill one up in three years. I have two bins and should have a good haul of compost this year.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I've basically hibernated since Xmas eve.
Haven't even been tempted to get dressed, or go outside for a walk.
I am in need of milk, less than a pint left, so will have to buck myself up, and go out tomorrow at some point.
I've prepped loads of fleece for carding, over the last few days, but I'm getting a bit bored of that now.
I guess i should try and walk off the three boxes of chocolate truffles I've scoffed! (What a pig!)
I'm hoping tomorrow will be dryer, I hate the wet, but I don't mind the wind, I love the way it feels so bracing.
You should make yourself a drop spindle and spin some yarn from some of that fleece once it's carded! :)

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Survived the 9th storm of the season, quite a bit of tidying in the garden this morning, and my budlia tree lost a large branch. Got off fairly lightly I think. Now waiting storm number 10, predicted for tomorrow. Still no snow. Just more wind and wet stuff.
Knew I should have built an ark rather than a pulk!
We got off lightly too. Stormy weather is always a bit nerve-racking between our tall trees and my beehives.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
We had some snow earlier, now it's back to rain. Oh! Spoke too soon, it's snow /sleet now!

Seriously, how can it rain hard then suddenly it's snow? It's changing so quickly. I know that means "it doesn't know what it wants to do" but snow to rain to snow must involve a temperature change. Temperature is a slow change thing and unlikely to have two changes in a minute! Weather in the UK is strange I reckon. Like when you get a rain / dry boundary and you can hop between them!

About an hour ago my watch beeped to tell me a storm was coming. Not worried as we have a steep hill behind us and houses either side to protect us from prevailing winds. I'll have to check my parents house as they get a full westerly from along the estuary.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Apparently rain often starts out as high altitude snow even in UK summer.

Edited to add;
Tipping it down in the West Midlands. Fields are so wet that lands it’s flooding almost immediately.

Can’t use one of my favourite pitches. Not because of the wet but because of the damage I’ll do to grass just walking about the doorway.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE