boots, glorious boots!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

what type of boots do you think are best?

• tradtional heavy army style

Votes: 34 8.8%
  • modern army

Votes: 91 23.5%
  • tradtional leather walking boot

Votes: 184 47.4%
  • modern fabric sort of boot

Votes: 79 20.4%

• Total voters

skinny1

Dec 4, 2009
Herts
Le Chameau Mouflon Boots had a pair for 4 years now and wear them every day Still water tight as the day I got them cleaned and polished once a week

Best pair of boots I have ever owned

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Seriously people, Magnums blow chunks. They look the part and are comfy but if you wear them more than once a blue moon they will be dead within months.
Avoid at all costs.

i must agree with lurch. magnums are not worth the money.

i bought a pair of high leg army boots from: www.britishmilitarysurplus.co.uk

they cost a tenner at the time and are amazingly good. very comfy and robust - had them at least 4 years now and they are still going strong.

recently bought a pair of lowa boots which were reduced to £50 - easily the best boots i own. i wont be buying another make in the future as these are so damn good.

andy

TeeGeeBee

Tenderfoot
Nov 30, 2009
South Lakes
:mexwave: I've a pair of Scarpa Bronzo. Scarpa haven't made this model in some 15 years and I've had my pair since 1978. That's 31 years of faithful service. I've worn them for walking, rock climbing, ice-climbing (crampon use), cycling, swimming in emergencies, canoeing and worked 13 years in them. They're still waterproof and still grip. Only needed resoling in all that time.

TGB

Pepperana

Dec 3, 2009
Netherlands
Why is this page always showing up at my ''new post''?
Every day.
I don't get it.

*LoL its because of the voting :).

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2009
northampton
recently got salomon gtx 4d cost not to bad at £143 and if youve got size 5.5 and below you can get the ladies as its a good bushcraft green instead of the mens red and black there a cross between a rugid mountain boot and a treking trainer so there dead flexy i can run drive in them but still feel secure and structured when navigating rough terrain or climbing trees my most valued bit of kit also a pair of seal socks but get the long ones as the water finds its way over the tops of the short ones

http://www.fitnessfootwear.com/p-2845-salomon-cosmic-4d-gtx-boot-marjoram-and-light-grass.aspx

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
i must agree with lurch. magnums are not worth the money.

i bought a pair of high leg army boots from: www.britishmilitarysurplus.co.uk

they cost a tenner at the time and are amazingly good. very comfy and robust - had them at least 4 years now and they are still going strong.

recently bought a pair of lowa boots which were reduced to £50 - easily the best boots i own. i wont be buying another make in the future as these are so damn good.

andy

Out of interest why are Magnum so bad? They are made by Hi Tec and are a major international supplier to various professional bodies. Some of their products have Vibram soles and while they aren't very expensive they are not cheap either.

Do they use some kind of inferior quality leathers and plastics that are worse than other brands? If so then why are they a leading international brand?

I'm just curious why you would rate them so low. Now that you've got me interested maybe I'll get some and see what I think of them. :D

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Some observations:

First of all, British lasts and American lasts are not the same, consequently, you may find that you generally get a better fit with one than the other. Personally, my feet tend to get a better fit in British shoes or boots more than in American ones, but not always.

Second, buy you boots large enough to wear two pair of socks. A thin inner sock, silk or polyproplene, and a heavy pure wool outersock. If you haven't done this combo, you will be very pleasantly surprised with the results. You will never get a blister or a "hot" spot.

Like the earlier poster, I once had a pair of Redwings that lasted me over 20 years and were in relatively good shape when i tossed them into the bin. They are going to run about 120.00 U.S to 160.00 U.S.

As for Lightweights, you can't beat the Browning Lightweight. Made out of Kangroo skin and they are extremely light. They wear like iron and do not fall apart. No, They probably wont last as long as some real heavy duty boot. But, to me the trade off is well worth it.

To the person that had a problem with one of their big toes, here is a suggestion. Here in the U.S., and I have no reason to think it would be different in the U.K., you can go to the stores that specialize in items for invalids, handicapped, et. cetera. They oftentimes will handle shoes and boots made for people who have diabetes. The only difference in these shoes is there is more room for the toes. The boots that I have seen look quite nice and appear rugged enough for any type of walking, hunting or whatever. I haven't used them but I have a relative who has and they are quite satisfied.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
What type of boot is best? One that fits you and is suited to the conditions!
The highest spec mountain boot is going to kill you if you are walking on soft grass, rolling hills and the last does not suit your foot!
Mocs would be fine for someone who liked the feel and in the right environment but would be agony on a polar trek......
Even as a gear tester for various mags over the past quater centuary I have not found one boot to do it all...though I find Magnum boots do some pretty comfy boots that can work in the woods and walks...but they are not everyones cup of tea - and they have discontinued the ones that suited me best!

V4V

Tenderfoot
Aug 23, 2009
Yorkshire
www.r4nger5.com
I wear British army assault boots (leather lined) 365 days a year - I get a surplus pair about once every 18 months, usually for under £20. Once they're broken in (2 layers of fabric plasters over your heels for 3 days), they are amazing boots - and i generally spend between 2 and 4 days per fortnight in rough, rocky and woodland terrain.

Polish them up and they're good enough for the office.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I chose the modern fabric boot option but in all truth I have stopped wearing boots at all. I tried my winter boots again when I went out in full on winter conditions in the first cold snap and I was all over the place, slipping and sliding with stumbles happening all the time. I decided to try my fell shoes and stopped having any trouble at all. I wear them with sealskins and find they have better grip than any boots I have had ever. I always used to slip on any little bit of compacted snow or ice now I am so assured in my footwear I rarely slip these days. On top of that they have a good heel cup that hold the foot in place so I turn my ankle over less than I ever did in boots. For terrain like the Lakes or even Scottish hills I find them great.

Heretic! I'm sure that's what I'll be called. Irresponsible is another description. All I care about is being safe and getting out there and fell shoes do it for me. Believe it or not I even kick steps in them in the snow and can edge when traversing a snow slope. Whilst I do not advocate it for everyone I do think some people are better suited to shoes and they are more use than you make out. I was wearing them with gaiters recently and want a pair of monte rosa or Kahtoola crampons to try them out on them too. Also plan to get Kahtoola microspikes.

hurplegrappers

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2010
R.C.T. South Wales
german para boots for me everytime , you can get a new pair posted from germany for around 45 / 55 quid they last forever , i also use them for my work , i went for a bit of a hike with some friends down lochwinnoch way last year , they all had expensive boots £100 + , i was the only one with dry feet at the end of the day , bloody boggy terrain :)

Strange that... I was talking to someone just the other day who said exactly the same thing as you. He was out on a hike with about a dozen folk in real boggy terrain and when they got back to base camp he was the only one with dry feet! He said most of them had expensive footware but he was just wearing his German paras. They're the newer padded type German paras I think.... like these :

new-style-paras.jpg

We were only talking about boots in general, no mention of an imminent purchase but hey nowt like a good recommendation first hand eh... Might have to invest in a pair myself.

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
I've always fancied a pair of German Para boots for tramping around the cuds.

I had no problems with my issue high leg boots, which was a huge surprise, and unlike earlier issue didn't need breaking in. I don't have them now.

Last year I went over on my ankle on a (tarmac & type 1 gravel mixture) coastal path and had 7 months of problems. I was wearing comfy trainers, but now wish for the stability of a high leg boot for spring and summer.

Since October/November last year I've been wearing my 20yr old wellies when out and about and can't fault them. OK I had to fold them over to stop my calf muscles developing a red ring etc., but they're fine (apart from looking like Compo), and they don't smell.

I might need to look at something a bit airier/cooler for summer wear. I don't have my Merrell sandals sadly, as my dog chewed them last year.

Interesting thread.

Liam

hurplegrappers

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2010
R.C.T. South Wales
I've always fancied a pair of German Para boots for tramping around the cuds.

I'm never gonna knock those expensive Lundhags & the like, fair play they seem amazing! but 35 quid delivered for good pair of 2nd hand German paras, proven to do the job?....... I'm in.

I'm only rambling through welsh woodland. No Cliff-faces, no glaciers etc... I reckon they'll do me just fine. might order me some.

Feb 9, 2010
staffordshire
i remeber first ever goign walking in steel to cap walking style boot , to say the least it hurt , then some army style ones look cool thats about it and bloody cold , then acquired a pair of meindl, to say the least very very good pair off full grain leather boots , they were the old burma ones brought second hand for £15 and stil lasted day in and out for about 3 years waring in a butchers shop and walking and mountaneering on the weekends . now i own a pair of riacheles mtx boots . now thees boots are simplely brilliant , once wore in that it ,waterproof rubber oating on the toe vibram sole and sueade ankle stiff boot and tough only one problem when left standing in bucket of water for about 10 mins meanwhile cleaning them the insole got damp :S dunno is i cplashed water in tehm or what but over all 10/10 boots rele recogmend them ( sorry for spelling mistakes)

take only memories leave only foot prints

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
My vote goes for army boots every time.
I wear one of either;
British army boots; took a while to break in but lasted around 3 years of daily use and often rough terrain etc. Still working but on the way out
Used to have some german para boots but cant seem to get my size anymore second hand they were very good too
However the best things comfort wise were norwegian army boots like slippers compaired to the others. Again having difficulty finding them again now although i did wear the soles out in around 2 years. That would be minimum of 5 days a week use though!

They all do need to be polished every now and again though which you dont need to with the gore tex or the like, a lot of people have mentioned however it seems to be blooming expensive to me.

If anyone knows where you can get the norwegian army boots (new or seconds) please let me know!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE