boots, glorious boots!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

what type of boots do you think are best?

• tradtional heavy army style

Votes: 34 8.8%
  • modern army

Votes: 91 23.5%
  • tradtional leather walking boot

Votes: 184 47.4%
  • modern fabric sort of boot

Votes: 79 20.4%

• Total voters

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
If just ergular outdoors stuff not serious winter or climbing stuff then Asolo's make very good boots. Also good for narrow or low volume feet. You can get some good deals for them. Since you are growing and only want one pair for everything try the Asolo boots, pretty much any of them, although some have a slightly narrower fit others about average. As such might be best suited for you. Whatever you get , try them first. Wear around the house for a while then take back if uncomfortable. It is fit first over style with boots. Best places to get them or at least try on before getting them cheaper on the internet is a major walking area as there are more shops and greater selection of makes. My preference is for light boots which is why I like Asolo as a manufacturer. Or try Brasher if you are big foot (or at least wide foot).

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
im on my 4th consecutive pair of clarks desert treks, theyre the comfiest shoe/boot i ever known, not least because they weigh very little. so why should i try anything else

theyre not fancy, no fancy sole, no gortex liner (no kinda liner at all) theyre not waterproof, but i practice the forgotten art of walking round puddles.

oh, and my 5th pair, still in the box, cost just 22 squids on flea bay

Native Justice

Forager
Apr 8, 2008
Littleton, CO USA
+1 for Asolo leather hiking boots. They just seem to mold to your feet. Great fit for side sloping and general heavy use, especially with their terrific vibram soles. Been using mine to bowhunt elk for many seasons here in the mountains of Colorado without much sign of wear and tear. Could do much worse that's for sure.

NJ

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
I find it a absolute nightmare to find shoes or boot that are comfortable as I have impact damage to my big toe, so I always try the right foot first if it does not press on the joint they are usually fine, at the moment I wear merril walking shoes for everyday use and for serious walking I have a pair of soloman gtx pro's very comfortable hard wearing and gor-tex.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I've joined the ultralighters when on multi day walks and now do it in trainers - never felt my ankles threatened. However, when scrambling or boulder fields are involved I use boots with ankle support - Meindles at the moment but soon to be replaced. I will probably go for lightweight leather - Brashers or something like that.

For bushcrafting where I don't expect to walk great distances I usually wear the boots rather than the trainers as they keep my feet dry - with the trainers I rely on the fact that my skin is waterproof and that my feet don't get cold while they're moving.

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
I got :censored: with traditional boots years ago mostly because of unrealistic expectations (using them in places where only wellies would have kept my feet dry). I'm not a fan of high leg boots - I've yet to find a pair that are really comfortable - yet I have to cross several small streams / rivers to get to my local woods, mountainsides are usually wet and boggy (croeso i Gymru!) and they would seem to offer the only hope of doing that without dunking any lower cut boots. I like my feet to be warm and dry, especially if I'm out for longer periods.
The revelation was approach shoes / lightweight walking shoes (aka trainers if we're being honest!). All day high mileage comfortable, relatively cheap and wear a pair of high leg GTX socks inside and you've feet as dry as wearing wellies. This winter I'm going to experiment with Kahtoola crampons on another pair sized a bit bigger that should allow me an extra pair of socks inside. With gaiters too they should be ideal in non-technical snow. Then I'm thinking some of those yeti gaiters I've seen discussed on here for my nepal extremes. Looking forward to experientation!!

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
crazyclimber - I agree with having unrealistic expectations (especially yng Nghymru!:) ) and that's another reason why I've gone for trainers most of the time. In winter I wear sealskins and these do the job well, in summer - as I've said, I let my feet get wet. This sounds like a recipe for blisters but not when you're wearing lightweight shoes and you take them off when you stop to let your feet breathe.

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
my feet stopped growing years ago. So i baught a pair of CAT builder/hillwaker boots made from leather then worn them in then water proofed them. Five years later they aint let me down yet still in perfect nick just filthy mucky after me last bimble in the wet raining muddy forest and feet allways dry unless i get dunked in the lake/slash river

C

cameronwillowanne

Redwing Irish setter for general playing in the woods they last forever had mine for 15 years and will have them for another few decades. lundhags in winter Scarapa for the winter mountains

Intertidal

Forager
Jan 26, 2008
Cornwall
Just to state the obvious - make sure they fit - whatever the make. If you're gonna be in the hills at all, make sure theres enough room in the toe box for going down hill, else you'll get bruised toes/lose nails etc.
Also remember, if you're gonna use them carrying a heavy pack, your feet will spread, so try them on with a similar weight pack.

For my 2p's worth, Brashers fit me really well (Hillmasters,& Trailmasters), tho' they're not cheap.

Intertidal

bryanr

Dec 12, 2004
Plano, TX U.S.A.
For me, I guess it's a combination of my high arch and the terrain here in the US that makes all the difference but I LOVE my White's Smoke Jumpers in the brown rough outs. Best boots I've ever owned and for some reason, the rough outs are cooler in the Texas heat (105F 40C).

400VLTTB.jpg

Bryanr

May 28, 2009
UK
I wear canvas and leather "jungle" boots in the summer and Sorel's Caribou boots in the winter.
** I replace all of my laces with paracord.

SirDiesel

Aug 11, 2009
yorkshire
i've got a surplus of old magnums (late 90s, early 00s) because we used to get issued with two pairs a year at work, and i only used one pair in 4 years.. for lighter duties a pair of nike ATB hybrid trainers, and a really old pair of walking boots that i inherited for when its snowy.

but for the ultimate shoe for just dossing around your tent, in the garden, on the beach etc are crocs. i wear them all the time. they dry out in seconds, dont weigh much, are comfortable, pack up small and let your feet breathe good. no support for heavy walking but meh thats what boots are for lol

socks are usually bridgedale warm weather heavy duty, under a pair of old british army itchers in winter, i wear bare feet in my crocs usually unless its cold

tenderfoot

Nomad
May 17, 2008
north west uk
Hi- tecs
The leather v-lite ones
best of both worlds -leather and light like fabric ones
no metal insert
very comfy
can be worn with seal- skins waterproof socks in extremely wet conditions.
price i think is 59 quid on average.

mart

Forager
Apr 6, 2008
cumbria
Couldnt say which boots to get mate, but try looking in your nearest TK Max.

Serious bargains to be had if you have the patience to sift through all the dross. I saw a pair of £180 scarpa boots for £70, not in my size unfortunately. They have everything from 4 season crampon compatable to summer fabric boots. the only issue is they can be in limited numbers and sizes.

Mart.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE