Barefoot Shoe Review - These Boots Are Made For Walking

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Some talk about barefoot shoes a while ago got me thinking.
I have (and still do) occasionally take off socks and shoes and do some actual barefoot walking, but sometimes the surface isn’t always the best for walking on.
Anyway.
I’d seen the Vivo shoes and I just don’t like the look of them. And I liked the prices even less, especially since the thin soles can have a short life span.
So I scoured the internet (well, Amazon) and found a pair of barefoot shoes I liked the look of.
51558410569_f44334d2f0.jpg

Having had them just over 6 months now I thought I’d do a review for anyone else interested.
51557719556_2f9081857e.jpg

Not wanting to promote any single make or supplier I won’t provide a link to the ones I bought – but ask and I will.
I went on to Amazon and searched ‘barefoot walking shoes.’
51558410474_e1713df708.jpg

Loads came up. The vast bulk fall into the ‘socks with a rubber sole category’, which appealed to me because I like that lightness. However, what didn’t appeal were the colours of most of them – neon and bright colours proliferated. No, not my kind of thing at all. After scrolling several pages I came across a pair that were olive green. Perfect!
Even better, they were just £35.
That, I thought, is a price worth taking a punt on. At that price I wasn’t expecting them to be the most durable but I thought that if I got on with them I would invest in a more expensive (so better, yeah?) pair.
A few days later and they were here. I liked what I saw.
I put them on. I liked them even more. I loved them. It was a revelation.
51874545102_a7a88a2b35.jpg

It’s worth pointing out here that on my right foot I have a very boney heel. It can make wearing shoes very uncomfortable which is why I always wear light and flexible footwear (I own one pair of shoes that I only wear when I absolutely must (weddings, funerals, interviews) and not at any other time!).
I was surprised how thick the grip on the shoes were, even if the actual sole is very thin indeed. I wondered if the thick grip may offset the ‘feel’ one is supposed to have in barefoot shoes. I walked around the garden in them. No, the extreme flexibility and softness of the rubber meant the foot moved around the earth and flexed to every lump and bump.
I was getting more impressed and looked forward to trying them out on the hills.
I took delivery of them back in September/October last year, so early Autumn.
So what was it like using them in anger?
Great. Really great. Loved ‘em.
51979576084_9b4e11abe0.jpg

Soft, flexible and, when worn with a pair of socks, warm enough.
Due to the time of year I got them I was initially lucky with the weather. It was still warm and dry. As Winter came along I stopped wearing them for a bit. They are not waterproof! But then, they are not meant to be. In warm, wet weather, you could wear them, without socks, and though your feet will get wet they will also dry out quickly. In cold, wet weather, when wearing socks, that won’t happen and you’ll be left with cold wet feet, which isn’t ideal. Of course, you could wear waterproof socks to get around that. But, given the slushy mud, it became a faff, so I just went back to normal wet weather boots. Mind you, when it was cold, but dry, I did wear them.
So, how did they stand up to it all?
I was acutely aware, even from the beginning that barefoot shoes have a reputation to wearing out very quickly. That’s the nature of the beast, to be honest, and you have to accept that.
51979295806_86abfe813f.jpg

What I did, to mitigate against that, is only wear them off-road. Yeah, I may have worn then a hundred yards or so from where I parked to the track, but I didn’t wear them around town or for long stretches on tarmac. I consciously made that decision to enhance the lifetime of them.
That said, once the weather started drying I wore them more and more frequently. I live in the south east and my playing ground is up on the North Downs – where it’s all chalk and flint. When it’s dry up there it can be as hard as any tarmac. Even worse, because sharp flint nodules stick up all over the place.
51979296016_756ec5dd1b.jpg

With that in mind, they’ve stood up remarkably well. Both shoes, on the heels, have lost chunks of rubber. I would suggest that is due to the flint. Otherwise, the wear is pretty even and I’d say there’s loads of wear still left in them. How they far during the Summer, when the ground will be at its hardest and I will wear them every time I go out, remains to be seen. So as you see them, that’s the wear and tear they’ve taken during one Autumn and Spring.
51979854785_f9dd3255ea.jpg

On to comfort. I wasn’t sure what to expect. Barefoot shoe wearers will tell you it takes a bit of getting used to. I thought that may happen. But no, it was like second nature to me. In hindsight that may because, as I said earlier, I wear thin soft footwear due to my right heel and also because when I get home socks and shoes are the first things off and I always walk around home and the garden barefoot. Always have. So maybe my feet were already used to it. I had no troubles acclimatising.
So overall? Yeah, love them to death and i'll buy another pair as soon as they die. Best £35 spent.

Last edited:

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
Ha! A timely post. I've been looking for something to replace the tatty old Trainers I wear when hopping out of the boat into the shallows. Wellies/Seaboots are all very well in the Winter but..
Just ordered a pair from Mr Bezos's little shop :thumbsup:

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Do they come true to size? Or did you order larger or smaller that you might do normally? Like Saxonaxe, I'm looking for something that I can wear when out and afloat in my Canadian - so, hopping in and out of the boat and some modest exploration from beaches that look appealing.

Many thanks for the full and relevant review!

Reactions: plastic-ninja

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I like the sound of these; and I really like the colour. Reds and blues are fine with my frocks but really not when I'm sloping about in the garden and woods.

Interested to hear how they work out size wise too.

Thank you for the review :) it sounds really hopeful.
I too walk about home and garden shoeless most of the time; shoes hurt :sigh:

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Sizing is not an issue due to the thinness of the upper and the fact the shoe is tied with shock cord. It's like putting your foot in a sock. Although, having said that, you will notice I did change the shock cord - I found the piece it came with was too short.
Although, when worn with thick, winter, socks, you could tell the difference. But not enough that they were tight.
I have wide fitting feet and I got in perfectly fine.

Reactions: Toddy

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I have now worn one pair for three summers, the sole is still mostly there but the upper starts to give out because the (very comfortable) material wears itself out, maybe with some help from dust around. I will certainly buy a new pair for the coming summer (still some days away, 40 cm of snow here at the cottage). The old ones had a very thin sole 4-5mm, next ones will have slightly thicker so that all pine cones will not be so painful.

Just a note: most people change their walking style slightly with this type of shoes, they don't touch the ground heavily with their heels but with the ball of the foot. As I understand more like really walking barefoot.

Reactions: Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE