Waterproof leather boots...how much to get a decent pair

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

kmac

Tenderfoot
May 13, 2009
London
Looking to get some leather waterproof boots for walking the dog - usually have to walk in tall wet grass and muddy paths and fields.
I have a pair of Rockport Lux Lodge boots that I got for about £20 at TK Maxx some years ago now. Sadly due to the crease in the front from walking, they are no longer waterproof (from the top). I have put some Stormsure glue on the front and this has made them waterproof again, but would like to get some new boots before they go again.

I prefer high boots (tuck trousers in to keep off wet grass) with ankle support so not the welly type. Looking online seems you have to spend upwards of £200 to get a decent pair. Are there any priced closer to £100 that will be waterproof?

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Army surplus Iturri cold weather boots.

Or buy some Berghaus Yeti Gaiters to go over your existing walking boots.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Reactions: kmac

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I’am a bit of a stickler when it comes to boots, I’ve had some expensive ones ( to me at least £200 + but the best I’ve had BAR NON are the issue Altbergs Defenders for the princely sum of £45. Like slippers from day one, hard wearing, and so far also waterproof. Five years in, still going strong. I’ll buy nowt else ever again. My perfect boot.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
I really like my haix cold wet weather boots. vary in price. you can get them new around £75.

If you are always going to walk in long wet grass as said get some half decent gaiters otherwise the water will just soak your lower trousers and run down your leg into the boots.

Majority of membrane boots do take longer to dry out but I have used a wet pair next day after a soaking and wasn't that bad with decent socks.

If you want non goretex have a look at hanwag SF LX

Various leather treatments available for added waterproofing, Altberg leder gris (clear), mink oil, regular kiwi polish,

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
VanWild has the right idea. I did that = the waterproof boots of my choice BUT added knee-high gaiters to shed the water off the wet grass. Boots with removable liners are A+, get 3-4 sets of liners.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I just stick to waterproofing the boots myself good old dubbin or any good wax product. Generally prefer high legs myself and non goretex.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
My preference for waterproof footwear is to use Sealskinz socks (other waterproof socks are available) and a pair of gaiters if likely to be walking through long grass.
I'm not a fan of heavy footwear, which includes just about all waterproof boots, and the gaiters can be taken off later if you get hot, and being able to use lightweight footwear with Sealskinz for the waterproof layer is what I like.
This way it sort of makes your footwear modular - light boots, gaiters, waterproof socks - you can mix and match for specific needs.
Works well for me, so may be an option for others.

kmac

Tenderfoot
May 13, 2009
London
I use Sealskinz socks with non-waterproof shoes for trail running. For dog walking would prefer boots with ankle support as they keep your feet warm as well as dry.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
If you don’t mind black, then look at Bates. I’ve had a pair of the GTX8 for about 8 years. I Sno-Seal them a couple of times a year and apart from some degradation of the sole and elasticky bits theyre still ok and fully waterproof.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
If you want some decent,waterproof boots, look for something with decent, thick leather and no goretex type lining. In my experience, the linings don't last that long and can trap moisture between itself and the leather, speeding up the decay of the leather. Good footwear care and treatment on a regular basis is essential for waterproofing. The thicker leather takes long to break in, but it's worth paying the extra for quality (not style) and longevity. Too many makes now are for fashion and not durability.

marcoruhland

Life Member
Apr 23, 2020
Germany
my best boots for almost everything outside from 10°c down to -5°c is the meindl dovre-extreme-mfs-wide in combination with the very good berghaus yeti-attak-gaiter

msrp for this combination is 400£ but i paid only 1/3 - so there is a very large price range

a lighter and cheaper boot (15°c down to 0°c) that works (for british army and me too) is the aku pilgrim gtx

uk price for most eu/ger/it products/boots are very high after brexit so hope you have take a good black friday deal with a discount over 50%

like this one under 100£ with shipping

mr

Last edited:

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I am tempted to say anything that is not made in China, but is that even possible these days? Back in the day before goretex, it was either a pair of wellies or dubbin. Neoprene socks are not a bad idea, not waterproof but follow the principle of the wetsuit. I have had mixed experiences with sealskin socks.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Well, Germans, Austrians, Italians and French still produce decent boots. Also in very traditional patterns.
Beginning from 160 € for Schladminger 100 you can spend up to 350 € and they are still sensible priced and worth every cent. Just avoid glued stuff.

Sep 8, 2020
Abergavenny
It's honestly worth paying the money for the best pair you can get, as in the long run the cost per use will be way cheaper than buying an el cheapo pair than need replacing every year or 2, and will be far more comfortable to boot (pun intended). I've had a decent pair a Meindl's for over a decade now that are still going strong, I just make sure brush the mud off regularly, rewax often etc.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Please write a review when they break.
Nowadays most boots fit well etc.

The most important point is the durability.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
For dog walking a decent pair of wellies.

Work perfectly well for beating on boggy grouse shouts and muddy pheasant.

Grubs, Goodyear or Muckboots
They work well on a muddy pheasant ? I thought they shot them, not trampled them to death ?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE