boots, glorious boots!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

what type of boots do you think are best?

• tradtional heavy army style

Votes: 34 8.8%
  • modern army

Votes: 91 23.5%
  • tradtional leather walking boot

Votes: 184 47.4%
  • modern fabric sort of boot

Votes: 79 20.4%

• Total voters

careca

Apr 9, 2010
london
Hanwag trumps all. I personally have the Yukon which is non goretex (thankfully!) and brown leather, If I wanted black and I wasnt a yeti (my hanwags are UK 13.5) I would probably have gotten the Hanwag Special forces which come in GTX or not.

Last edited:

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
Certainly was good service Liam. ... I certainly will write to the company as I believe that this kind of service will raise the bar for us all, forcing others to do the same. I am delighted to say the least. That has to be customer service at its best. They had no obligation to do the work.

A couple of weeks ago my son came back from New Forest and the collar had collapsed in his Meindl Borneos to the extent I could not get the superfeet out due to stretched linings. That was a bit of a worry as he is off trekking in Ecuador for a month after his exams.

Took them into The Outdoorshop and explained they were 4 years old; they said take them home, clean them up and we will send them back for Meindl for you and ask them to look at them and see if there is anything that can be done. Lo and behold a phone call on wednesday saying could he come in to the shop as a brand new pair of boots had arrived for him from Meindl. Absolutely brilliant service, the best that we had hoped for was some credit towards a new pair and probably not even that when they were several years "out of warranty". German style engineering and german style customer service.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Another vote for Meindl... I have a pair of Borneo Pro's and love em !!

3537.jpg

Jan 11, 2007
Aberdeen, Scotland
I think I have more pairs of footwear than my wife, but the main ones for outdoors stuff are -

Karrimor KSB300 e-vent (also got a pair of GTX ones as 'spares', they were on sale..) for general walking round country parks, llight hiking etc

Old british army leather assault boots for muddy / bushcrafty stuff as they're cheap and tough, really comfy with Uvex gel insoles from a pair of steel toed boots in them

Le Chameau Mouflon plus (knee high leather and goretex) for walking about in autumn/winter and hunting. Lovely toasty feet in these, keep ticks etc off your lower legs.

I have a preference for boots which come up my shin a bit (ie 10 eyelet pairs) as I've broken my ankle before and the muscle has never really caught up with the other leg so the extra support is welcome.

J

johntyfraser

Another vote for Meindl... I have a pair of Borneo Pro's and love em !!

3537.jpg

Wow this shoes looks very different from the normal shoes. I think this shoes wear on any dress and color is also perfect. I love to see more picture of this shoes in a different color. If you have then post it here. Thanks in advance.

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Hi-tecs are great cheap boots, got couple pairs myself of ebay. but I love my Oakley Gatlings! Can be picked up cheap now, saw some on Ebay for £40 last week. An absolute bargain for such a great boot that should cost well over £100...

Large Sack

Settler
May 24, 2010
Dorset
I still have my Lundhags that visited a small group of islands just east of Argentina in 1982 (have been resoled twice now). They are always covered in bear fat during the 'closet season' but emerge again once the weather starts to turn foul. However, I also own a pair of Asolo Fugitive gtx which are my usual sod kickers now...they are a fraction of the weight.

The only thing that is likely to fail on the Lundhags is the rubber rand running the circumference of the sole, it's just starting to perish nearly 30 years on. Seriously well made IMO.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
hey everyone, i'm looking for a new pair of boots that must meet a certain criteria. maximum i'm probably allowed to spend is about £60 because my feet are still growing they will probably be too small next year. I want leather that can take wear and tear of bushcrafting but are light enough to go on longer walks. They obiously need to be waterproof and not bulky. what type of boots do you prefer?

Thread started 24/01/2005, I wonder if Jack has had enough boot advice :-D Has your feet stopped growing yet Jack?

Big Geordie

Nomad
Jul 17, 2005
Bonny Scotland
Jack, Where are you? Are you still growing? Have you found German para boots from Kevin at Endicott yet?

I think this is a good thread to let run, and besides I really want to know what type of shoes is Jack buying his children too!!

George

R

ritzbhogal delnaz

This is very nice shoes. I liked it very much. It is very attractive too. Any one is here who knows about its around price range?

Extreme Pilgrim

Forager
Aug 27, 2010
UK
I use:

1. Desert/Arid areas: Scarpa Hydrogen Mesh boots

2. Mountainous areas: Scarpa SL (sometimes used with a Berghaus Yeti gaiter)

3. Jungle/hot, wet weather areas: UK/US issue jungle boots

4. Misc areas: Inov8 Terroc 330 shoes

Generally, miltary issues boots are best avoided as many guys spend all their hard earned cash on civilian brand replacements although the jungle boots are good.

Last edited:

telwebb

Settler
Aug 10, 2010
Somerset, UK
just bought some Mountain Warehouse 'reduced' boots - Voyager W'proof leather at £39.99. Currently strolling around the Exmoor coast and so far so good - very comfortable - time will tell!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE