boots, glorious boots!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

what type of boots do you think are best?

• tradtional heavy army style

Votes: 34 8.8%
  • modern army

Votes: 91 23.5%
  • tradtional leather walking boot

Votes: 184 47.4%
  • modern fabric sort of boot

Votes: 79 20.4%

• Total voters
F

ferretfeller

modern fabric, waterproof dosnt rot, comfy, strong, cheaper, more flexible, so maney other things to go in there favour,

Peat

Forager
Aug 29, 2008
West country
I've been wearing brasher hillmaster boots for the last 7yrs or so, and I LOVE them! I can't really bring myself to wear any other shoes... Wore out my 1st pair after probably 6 years of wear. Good innings I reckon. I still wear them when being waterproof isn't important. I wear boots everywhere, despite living in the inner city, even out dancing! I even wear them for work (bicycle deliveries, and they are probably more of a hinderence than anything). When my 1st pair wore out and I had to buy a new pair, I did regret it a little as I could have got a few more years out of them if I had reserved them only for off road activities...

When I was looking for a new pair I discovered that you can no longer buy them without a goretex lining. It doesn't make sense to me as I never got any leaks without one, and they were cheaper too. Just going to get sweatier feet. However, the new boots are great, with my only other niggle being with the new addition of free moving metal loops for the laces, which rattle if the boots are not done up fully (which I find pleasant when ankle support is not required).

Peat

Forager
Aug 29, 2008
West country
Just sent my Miendl boots back for resoling after 4 years hard graft.
Had an email back saying that that will be with me this week, resoled, wait for it...... FREE OF CHARGE.:eek:

goodjob

That's what I call service

Well thats certainly makes it worth paying a bit more for the boot. Very good service.

Yes Peat, I was very surprised, they did not have to do that.

I got them for around 120 sheets, so they were not that much more than ordinary stuff.
Excluding budget stuff of course.

Not sure how much a pro resole would cost probably with Vibram soles? £40 at a guess :yikes:

Maybe more, plus the shipping

The uppers are still in great shape, the foxing being slightly worn

Jakata

Dec 16, 2009
Northampton
I love Cat boots. I have worn the same design for the last 10 years, I wear them for 15 hours solid some days 10 hours minimum every day. I have never had a problem with them but because I walk oddly only one side of each shoe wears down so I replace them annually. I could probably just get them re-soled as the leather is just fine.

I have just ordered a pair of Cat walking shoes so I hope I get the same satisfaction from them and that they last as long ofc.

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
The miendl boots turned up today, resoled and looking in great shape, all F.O.C

They replaced the laces, soles,and put in a new breathable insole, they also replaced the foxing.

All free. More than happy with that.

Podds,

I've never ever, had that kind of service.

Please make sure you send them a thank you note.

That kind of after sales service is advertising Gold.

The best form of advertising (or it used to be) is word of mouth/recommendation.

If poor folk like me buy a pair, we'll tell them you sent us. :D

I'm a size 8, 42 Euro - Gumshield - oh you meant footwear?

Cheers

Liam

Certainly was good service Liam.
I think I paid £125 for the boots ( I was plush at the time) and it seems that the investment was a good one, there are boots out there a hell of a lot more expensive than that, some are near £300 :eek:
I have seen huge prices being asked for some custom "welly" types, and very expensive Chinese made boots.

I certainly will write to the company as I believe that this kind of service will raise the bar for us all, forcing others to do the same.
I am delighted to say the least.
That has to be customer service at its best. They had no obligation to do the work.

Graywolf

Nomad
May 21, 2005
Whereever I lay my Hat
I have to say I use high leg military style boots,I like the feeling of support,the protection they give you arround the ankle and shin area and they do stop small items getting into your boot,such as small pieces of wood.But for walking I have Scarpa sl and a pair of Karrimor ksb

nige7whit

Forager
Feb 10, 2009
Brize Norton / Midlands (rest)
Although I've voted for modern army boots, there wasn't a chance to tick the box for Lundhags, which are not 'army', nor 'trad leather walking'. They get my vote because they are outrageously comfortable, light in weight and very durable. Lowa ones are like concrete clogs in comparison.

I have a pair of Lundhag Ranger High boots, and love them. Very comfortable, warm enough for the past few months, day in, day out, with a pair of thin socks, and a pair of thick.

I'd definitely buy another pair, no doubt at all. I love demonstrating to friends, just how light they are, for a 'big' looking boot.

I tried a few pairs on and they either fit or they don't. Unfortunately for Lundhag, they don't lace up like normal boots from near the toe box so they are not as adjustable on the foot of the boot as normal boots. Which is a shame as I'm sure the technology is out there to overcome it and make them an even better design.

I recently bought Lowa Mountain xtra wide boots. TBH they are great boots with awesome support very much like a ski-march boot. They are like lead clogs on soft ground though. But as I couldn't afford two pairs of boots I opted for the heavier lowas as they are decent hard terrain boots.

I have a pair of Lundhag Ranger High boots, and love them. Very comfortable, warm enough for the past few months, day in, day out, with a pair of thin socks, and a pair of thick.

I'd definitely buy another pair, no doubt at all. I love demonstrating to friends, just how light they are, for a 'big' looking boot.

para106

Jul 24, 2009
scotland
Get youself into your local TK MAXX, mate. You'll find loads of leather ones. I've bought Raichle, KSB, Scarpa, Hi Tec & they're at a fraction of the full RRP. Every time I go In I have a shufty - must have 5 or 6 pairs in the garage.

Saying that, I tend to wear my Meindl Borneo GTXs for the hills & stuff - but I'm allowed as my feet won't by doing any more growing!!!

bmartin1uk

Forager
May 4, 2010
Baldock, Herts
I'm with Para106 - TK Maxx all the way. If you're on a tight budget you can pick up some good brands. Just give them a good check over first. The boots are in there cheap for a reason. Sometimes its just aesthetics, but check the seams.

jamin

Forager
Nov 27, 2006
lincoln
www.piczo.com
i have some scarpa sl's there super boots. wouldnt get rid of them for the world. but now the summer is here been wering flip flops alot in the woods. strange but true. :cool:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE