boots, glorious boots!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

what type of boots do you think are best?

• tradtional heavy army style

Votes: 34 8.8%
  • modern army

Votes: 91 23.5%
  • tradtional leather walking boot

Votes: 184 47.4%
  • modern fabric sort of boot

Votes: 79 20.4%

• Total voters

jack29g

Forager
Sep 17, 2004
Leicester
hey everyone, i'm looking for a new pair of boots that must meet a certain criteria. maximum i'm probably allowed to spend is about £60 because my feet are still growing they will probably be too small next year. I want leather that can take wear and tear of bushcrafting but are light enough to go on longer walks. They obiously need to be waterproof and not bulky. what type of boots do you prefer?

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Leather fan here also. Remember, that you can buy separate Gore-tex socks and use them as liners inside the boots. This will keep your feet dry, but not your boot. But obviously if you put a GTX boot into water it will get wet too. :wink:

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
there should be a multi choice option.
i use meindl gtx boots for walking
US jungle boots for hot and wet
US desert boots for what it says on the tin
and karrimor KSB300GTX for going to the pub

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Did traditional leather, but I wear meindl with a goretex membrane. Have to say I didn't buy Meindl for the goretex but for the superb workmanship and comfort.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hello,

The best buy for a growing kid or a heavy wearer is a lot of boot for your money, and never mind the label.

If you aren't going to be doing extreme arctic\ winter stuff or horrendously humid jungle stuff I suggest that you buy something solid like leather or goretex (look alike) Hi-Tecs.
They're comfortable, well made and they're cheap enough that your mum won't throw a flakey when you grow out of them by the end of summer.

Actually, despite the fact that I've got 7 pairs of boots, my favourites are five year old leather Hi-tecs. I've walked them sploongin wet for three solid weeks in freezing weather while fieldwalking in the Lake District, (they didn't let in, I *went* in if you see what I mean :roll: ) and later by 4 weeks heavy work in the hottest summer weather I can remember. They didn't crack or lose the soles or linings and they're still sound and worn for at least one week every month. Not bad for £24.99 :)

Toddy

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Those Hi-tecs set off metal detectors :shock: there's a huge steel rib in the sole :roll: :nono:
The quality of your boots depends on how much walking you'll do. In the arctic you need arctic boots, which are not walking boots, because in snow you must ski or snowshoe. UK/temperate tough/long distance walking you need good boots, UK messing about it doesn't matter really what you get.

I'd definately go forn the Hi-tecs as your feet are still growing. I also have a pair of ex-army goretex socks and I have o say they are one of the best things I have ever worn. I use them on the motorbike and they are superb. When I was commuting between Southampton and Bournemouth every day, I was in rain that was so bad it was like sitting in a jet wash for an hour!! I still had dry feet though :eek:): Hi-tecs and goretex socks :biggthump :biggthump

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I've got modern army, leather and fabric (& plastic) walking boots - it just depends on what & where i'm up to.

Cann't fault the Lowa army boot for an all rounder thought - where them every day for work, around home etc.. Only thing I don't wear them for is long walks - as they are a bit small to wear with thick socks as i got then for work/ office wear, but I can wander around all day in them.

Don't forget decent sock. You can wear the best boots in the world but with poor socks they are still going to hurt/blister you. Cheap boots and very good socks is better than expensive boots and rubbish socks.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have to take off *any* bit of metal if I'm doing some of the magnetometry geophys...earrings, hairpins, jeans, bra....but I don't recall there *ever* being a problem with metal detectors when I'm out for a walk!
Guess I live too civilsed :lol:
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:oops: Just realised how that sounds: sorry folks, we just wear really scruffy beat up trackkies and soft shoes or wellies....not really like half dressed hippies at all!
Toddy

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Toddy said:
I have to take off *any* bit of metal if I'm doing some of the magnetometry geophys...earrings, hairpins, jeans, bra....but I don't recall there *ever* being a problem with metal detectors when I'm out for a walk!
Guess I live too civilsed :lol:
Toddy
:rolmao: Nah it's just I only tend to wear one pair of boots at a time so when we go to Norway my mates in their Hi tecs always set off the alarm :roll: You can see it on the scanner, there's a big metal rib.

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Since you are still growing and don´t want to spend all your money on boots buy a pair of boots from the surplus shop.

There are lotso f diffrent boots out there all depending on the place you are using them, for me a pair of lundhags is perfect.

Ranger Bob

Nomad
Aug 21, 2004
Suffolk
I have 2 pairs:- Current army issue (soles cracked after 6 months of average wear!) and Hi-Tec magnums (Current pair is 4 YEARS old and showing little sign of wear after being worn every day!)

M

Muddyboots

The most important thing with any boot is initial fit. The old school of thought on "breaking in" boots has been pretty much discredited, your feet adjust , more than the boot. Get a pair that is SHAPED LIKE YOUR FEET. Your boots should be comfortable when laced up, but not cranked down hard. Your instep should be cradled and tight enough to prevent your toes from impacting with the front on a down hill, or kicking brush. You MUST fit your boots with the type of socks you will be wearing in the field. Loose boots don't cause blisters, rubbing does. Lots of people wore the old jungle boot loose, often WITHOUT laces at all, and hiked (HUMPED) hundreds of miles with minimal blisters. That said, your feet shouldn't "slosh around" and rub on the inside of the boot. I bet your sneakers are loose and comfortable. you want something like that. Your feet Will swell some from hard walking (especially if you don't do it often) so you need room for this. Altitude also makes your feet swell. There is a small amount of "breaking in your feet" as you do more with them. Your skin needs to adapt to the new demands on it. It does Toughen up, like calluses on your hands. I have seen More problems from tight boots or bade shape choices than anything else. DO NOT "buy a label", buy boots. I recommend Danners because MOST people (not all) can get the right width from them. Their product is so consistent and well fit for me that I can mailorder them (Which I actively discourage, unless you KNOW). They will do custom pairs if you have dew claws or different sized feet (every one does but some people are in the extreme). I love Merrall mountain boots, the heavy duty black ones with the blue lace, the craftsmanship..... I will never own a pair unless they change their Last (boot framer) shape. They just aren't shaped like my feet. If you have a good initial fit , your feet adapt faster as you and your boots settle into co-existance. Lastly, good workmanship and materials make all the difference. Good gear is worth paying for, it dosn't have to be expensive to be good, but you aren't going to get $80 worth of leather in $60 boots and the raw goods cost what they cost. My high altitude boots run about $56 a toe and are cheap insurance. I know someone who paid about $160,000 (out of pocket, insurance covered $2200) to have two toes rebuilt after a frost bite injury in the Alps. This is an extreme example but it illustrates my point. So I wear $200 boots. I have a pair of Acadias that has a measured (not estimated) 4500 miles on them (resoled twice at $40 each time) they are 12 years old and going strong. Take the time to learn to fit your own boots so your not a "Gumby" (i.e. $4000 1911, K-mart boots, cartoon brain). If anyone has more questions I'll be glad to answer if I can.

This was originally posted on a U.S. web forum (Hoodlums) but in the U.K. you would get similar results from Lowa. I liked the old U.S.jungle boots, the new ones from Altama are junk. The soles crack FAST, they have major quality control issues, and are even being investigated for contract violations. I have mixed feelings for Direct Molded Sole (DMS) boots in general, because I have had mixed results. Many good companies do make good ones now, but the resole cost limits their useful life span. If like many of us over here, you have discovered the joy of Ultra Light gear, look at a pair of "approach shoes" instead of more traditional full leather boots. Remember though, a lot of people have lived lifetimes bare foot or in sandals, It depends on what you want your boots to do. Do research.

Muddyboots

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Oh Lordy.....

Why is it I always seem to be out of step with the general opinion on equipment here?

If I were recommending a pair of boots for "bushcraft" where a degree of reasonably harsh terrain under foot might be expected I'd advise anyone to steer well away from the Hi-Tec Magmum range. They have their place, their place is urban and light duty footwear for police & (para)military tasks.
And without wishing to sound condescending I'd say that's particularly true for younger people who are still growing. They're high leg leather trainers and if thats what you need they're grand.

It's unfortunate, but with boots, perhaps to a greater degree than many other items of outdoor equipment you do tend to get what you pay for, there are of course compromises. The famous/infamous "German Para Boot" - cheap, virtually indestructable but clumpy and heavy, they can also be difficult to size, you'll probably need to try on a lot of pairs. "British Army Assault Boots" - While unlikely to protect your feet from nuclear attack like the German boots they're fairly cheap and appear in a good range of size and width fittings. both should come in below your yor maximun price, maybe with enough left for a good pair of socks if you're lucky! With the traditional hiking boot vendors, fabric and seude seem to be the norm at the cheaper end of the market don't know much about them as I tend to live in Danners these days, which I heartily recommend once your feet decide what size they're going to stay.

Ranger Bob

Nomad
Aug 21, 2004
Suffolk
Great Pebble said:
If I were recommending a pair of boots for "bushcraft" where a degree of reasonably harsh terrain under foot might be expected I'd advise anyone to steer well away from the Hi-Tec Magmum range. They have their place, their place is urban and light duty footwear for police & (para)military tasks.
I've heard this from alot of people! But I treked several hundred miles across the north of Mongolia in magnums. Through mountains and forest and across open steppe and they never failed! My feet were always in good conditon after the daily trudge of 18 miles and I still wear the same pair of boots 3 years on! The proof of the pudding is in the eating!?!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE