Avoiding heebee jeebees

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
I had a red deer stag try and follow me into a mountain bothy up north in scotland , he nearly had his antlers in the front door .

It stayed outside calling all night , there was a hydro board landrover attacked in the same area that year .

Craig.........

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Did you hear about the biggest red stag (Exmoor Emperor) being killed and decapitated by some w***** poachers? I think it was Britains tallest land animal too.

They weren't poachers and no real evidence it had been killed illegally at all. It was all media hype.

Realbark

Aimless Wanderer
Jan 18, 2011
South Lincs UK
I'd say the most dangerous animal out there is the cow. I reckon they must account for more injuries and deaths per year than any other creature in our countryside.

Ill agree with this one. Was attacked a couple of years ago by cattle whilst out with my lurchers. Loosed the dogs who legged it (the cattle were threatened by them im sure although we had passed many times before without incident) and i went in a waterlogged dyke and up the other side myself. :yikes:

Jan 28, 2010
ontario
Well that's a different world over there; can't say that cattle have ever been an issue around the campsite here. Now these badgers...don't have them here...how
big are these things, anyway? Closest we've got to badgers would be wolverines, fishers, martens...same family of critters maybe.

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Well that's a different world over there; can't say that cattle have ever been an issue around the campsite here. Now these badgers...don't have them here...how
big are these things, anyway? Closest we've got to badgers would be wolverines, fishers, martens...same family of critters maybe.

THis is the deadly beasts http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2C8TdLx3-xs

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!

Badgers are massive mate, about the size of lion but as tank as a gorilla! Massive fangs, huge claws and a taste for innocent Englishmen trying to sleep in their hammocks! ;)

Jan 28, 2010
ontario
Badgers are massive mate, about the size of lion but as tank as a gorilla! Massive fangs, huge claws and a taste for innocent Englishmen trying to sleep in their hammocks! ;)

Englishmen must be tasty, our black flies seem to prefer them to us locals. These gorilla-sized badgers sound ghastly; I think I'd better stay here and camp amongst the
wimpy little bears.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Englishmen must be tasty, our black flies seem to prefer them to us locals. These gorilla-sized badgers sound ghastly; I think I'd better stay here and camp amongst the
wimpy little bears.

Haha! All those wimpy species like bears, wolves and big cats were made extinct by the badger many many years ago.

The bards sing of the fabled and feared beasts across the land..some even say the Welsh dragon wasn't slain by Saint George but by a angry badger.

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
how to avoid the heebee jeebies?

1. forget the reports of big cats in the area
2. have a decent fire
3. cam with mates
4. have a nice leuku or axe close by

i had an experience in the woods at 3am one night, the temprature suddenly dropped by 10ish degrees, and these horrible echoy voices came from right above the top of the canvas. i never sleep in those woods alone anymore

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Last edited:

Settler
Aug 8, 2010
here
gallery_218_19_14797.gif

Jan 28, 2010
ontario
Oh yes you do! :)

They're slightly different in your part of the world, but they're still very much badgers. Same family as stoats and weasels, which might explain their great ferocity. Better hole up in that canoe!

Okay, I guess I should have specified here meaning eastern Ontario...looks like they exist in the U.S. and western Canada alright...didn't know that, thanks for the info.
Anyway, I'VE never seen one, but I'll make a point of searching them out next time I visit a zoo.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
LOL @ Samon ! that's one hell of an imagination you have there mate ! LOL !

by the way, did you know they live in your loft space ?

just check the loft hatch, when you walk under it at night, out of the corner of your eye, you will see it close, quietly,.........

Last edited:

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset

just check the loft hatch, when you walk under it at night, out of the corner of your eye, you will see it close, quietly,.........

They must be living with Ceiling Cat.

I'll let you google that one! :rofl:

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!

Haha! living up there like in the film 'shallow grave' ! The badgers round my parts are battle hardened death dealers, noone dares go through the their neck of the woods after hours..

;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE